Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chex

You play them one at a time like Hive, but they move the same as regular Chess pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:

Also see Tile Chess, a similar tile-based chess game (playable with Chex tiles) which does not have the luck of the draw which Chex has.

Stax (edited to correct Stax, thanks StrangeQuark!) is rather Hive-like yet interestingly different (placing and moving your own pieces to mate a specific opponent's piece).

Some other clacky tile games of possible interest:
Zaic + Spangles + Andantino :
Each player places (no moving) their own tiles trying to create the largest contiguous region.

Trax + Palago :
Players place from a common pool of identical tiles to achieve a goal.

Tantrix :
Players place from their hand of tiles randomly drawn from a common pool.

Re: Mr. Jack Pocket: it is not a tile-laying game in this sense. You start with a randomly created 3x3 array of tiles and interact with that array. (But it is a fine game in any case.) Mr. Jack is not at all a tile-like game. (But is also a fine game.)

For a pleasing small light (cardboard) tile game, check out Okiya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willi Van Bogaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Stack-A-Biddi is rather Hive-like yet interestingly different (placing and moving your own pieces to mate a specific opponent's piece).

I may be wrong, but I think you are referring to Stax. That's the one I was going to suggest anyway.

joshuaspenser wrote:
What I'm looking for specifically is games with the mechanic where two (or more) players control identical sets of pieces and where each of those pieces moves in its own way.

Splut! fits the bill. And as a print-and-play it is extremely portable. It is a 2-4 player abstract in which each player controls a sorcerer, a dwarf and a troll. You need to get your troll to throw a rock onto an opponent's sorcerer to eliminate that player.

In Barca each player has two elephants, two mice and two lions which 'scare' each other rock-paper-scissor style. You need to take control of three of the four watering holes on the board. You can try a game against a basic AI here.

Army Ants is another game in which you try to capture your opponent's queen. It can played with a standard deck of cards or Rummikub tiles.

Völuspá is a tile placement game for 2-5 players. I haven't played it myself, but it might be worth checking out. I don't think players have identical hands in this one though.

In Mijnlieff players do have identical pieces, but there is no movement. It's a three-in-a-row game in which your move controls where on the board your opponent can place his next piece. First-player advantage may be a bit high in this one, according to my experience. I suggest playing two games in a row and adding the scores.

And if you enjoy this mechanic, I cannot recommend Kamisado highly enough. Especially the marathon game. I made a travel version by putting small coloured stickers on Go stones and just printing out a smaller version of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you tried Let's Catch the Lion! (Animal Shogi 3x4 mini game - you can try out a print and play version in BGG files section) and Dobutsu Shogi in the Greenwood (full Animal Shogi 9x9 game)?

It's Shogi -- but fun and easier to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joshuaspenser wrote:
I love all three of John Yianni's tile laying games, especially Hive.

So, what are your specific impressions of Logan Stones?

This game seems to receive a lot of flak from gamers. But, gosh, we love this game. It sees so much play; when we have just a few minutes for a game, we grab this and it is always interesting time spent! From the delightfully designed stones to the wonderful strategy it elicits this game is as valued by our family as Hive Pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hageman
United States
Hugo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can handle some amount of random then Battle for hill 218 is worth looking at. They have a lot of similarities
- Very small
- each side has identical decks
- Different units with different movement/abilities
- Plays in 15 min
- Most important that addictive quality of lets play again

It is an abstract with a theme that actually works well with the different cards abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This suggestion is a little out in left field, but your criteria could be neatly satisfied by mirror-matches in Summoner Wars. You could buy two copies of a starter set, and play, for example, Sneeks vs. Sneeks. Summoner Wars is mostly acclaimed for its finely-tuned balance between assymetrical factions, but it can be played in mirror matches of identical decks. The play is intensely spatial, with varied units possessing unique movement/attack powers.

Once you have a map and counters, it's no big deal to pick up a pair of matched faction decks, which give you further play variety within the same system. But my experience is that there's plenty of depth and variability in a single matchup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle This!

and a bit more complex:

Crowns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.