United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Avengers Assemble!

For the last 45 games I have been using the Avengers to battle the evil masterminds of the Marvel Universe. It has been an interesting experiment and I finished with some results that surprised me surprise In organizing these battles, I created the following criteria:
1. The Avengers would battle each mastermind 5 times
2. Each battle would involve a random scheme
3. For each battle I rolled used an 8 sided dice to determine any guest appearances. Since the game has 6 Avengers (and I wanted to see how well the Avengers would work together) I set up each game so there would be at least 4 Avengers each time and for the fifth slot, I rolled a die with the results based on the following: 1-6: Avenger 7: Spider-Man 8: Random Hero
4. For randomizing, I used the randomizer created at legendary.monkeyunion.net. I like this one best since you can set each aspect of a given scenario any way to like to include or exclude cards. The set up was easy to use if I needed to add Spider-Man or change back to having 5 Avengers.
5. For any scheme that required an extra hero, I let the randomizer pick
6. For Red Skull, Magneto, and Dr. Doom I rolled a ten sided die and used the chart in the Dark City rules to determine a Challenge Mode.

So how did my Avengers fare vs……

1. Red Skull: Avengers won 3-2. They beat the Red Skull in the Massive Earthquake Generator, Midtown Bank Robbery, and Secret Invasion of the Skrull Shapeshifters. Red Skull bested our heroes in the Unleash the Power of the Cosmic Cube and Save Humanity.

2. Magneto: This was a crushing victory as the Avengers easily beat Magneto 5-0. The schemes included Massive Earthquake Generator, Secret Invasion of the Skrull Shapeshifters, Superhero Civil War, Replace Earth’s Leaders with Killbots, and Portals to a Dark Dimension.

3. Dr. Doom: Avengers won 3-2. Wins included X-Cutioners Song, Capture Baby Hope, and Steal the Weaponized Plutonium while losses involved X-Cutioners Song and Organized Crime Wave. Dr. Doom actually took an early 2-0 lead, but the Avengers battled back to win the series!

4. Loki: Avengers won 3-2. Lokie drew first blood with the Save Humanity scheme and then Earth’s Mightiest Heroes struck back in the X-Cutioners Song and Transform Earths Citizens into Demons before Loki again won the Legacy Virus setting up the final showdown in the Replace Earth’s Leaders with Killbots scheme which the Avengers won handily.

5. Apocalypse: Apocalypse won 3-2. This was a very tough fight and Apocalypse built a 3-1 lead after winning the Unleash the Power of the Cosmic Cube, X-Cutioners Song, and Superhero Civil War while losing the Capture Baby Hope scheme. The Avengers then managed to avoid a crushing series loss by winning the Replace Earth’s Leaders with Killbots scheme.

6. Kingpin: Avengers won 3-2. I was surprised how close this series was in the end. The Avengers bested the Kingpin in the Negative Zone Prison Breakout and twice in the Secret Invasion of the Skrull Shapeshifters while losing the Massive Earthquake Generator and Capture Baby Hope

7. Mephisto: Avengers won 4-1. This also was quite a surprise as Mephisto is only one of two masterminds I have a losing record against (the other being Apocalypse). Despite the 4-1 thrashing I still have a losing record against Mephisto shake So the Avengers came out on top in the Steal the Weaponized Plutonium, Negative Zone Prison Breakout, Secret Invasion of the Skrull Shapeshifters and Midtown Bank Robbery while losing only the Superhero Civil War. Mephisto won this first battle then the Avengers took him to the woodshed winning 4 in a row cool

8. Stryfe: Drawn +2-2=1. The Avengers took the early lead winning the Detonate the Helicarrier scheme and then drew the Steal the Weaponized Plutonium scheme. Stryfe then struck back in the Massive Earthquake Generator only to lose the lead again in the Replace Earth’s Leaders with Killbots. The final battle was a tough loss for the Avengers in the Save Humanity scheme. Despite having the rare Iron Man, Hulk, and Captain America we still lost

9. Mr. Sinister: Drawn +2-2=1. This was the opposite of the battle with Stryfe as we had to win the last two games just to force the draw. Mr. Sinister took it to the Avengers winning two of the first three games (Massive Earthquake Generator and Organized Crime Wave while drawing the Negative Zone Prison Breakout. Thus the Avengers had to win the last two battles of Portals to a Dark Dimension and Steal the Weaponized Plutonium.

So in the end the Avengers tallied a record of 28 wins, 15 losses and 2 draws.

I noticed several things from this series of the Avengers. First, if you do not have either Thor or Captain America you will be under pressure very quickly as the only way to recruit is by getting as many Maria Hills as you can. This allows the villains to quickly flood the city and also denies the players turn over of cards in the HQ. Second, some guest heroes worked really well while others did not. The Punisher was a welcome help to the Avengers while others like Elektra did not add much to the battle. Third, if you could get the rare Captain America you could pretty much plan your victory party although we did lost one game with that card. And finally the fight ability of a lot of the Avenger cards is pretty hard to combine to get 10 plus fighting points easily. Some exceptions do come to mind such as Thor’s Call Lightening or Black Widow’s Covert Operation. While I feel confident one could say that about other cards, I would be curious to see how other teams work together. Overall, my wife, JJ, and I all had a good time. The question now is: what should be our next project?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marvel knights vs the masterminds!!!! Loved reading your report.look forward to reading the next one , and soon you can try fantastic four :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.