Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something I've been thinking about since X-Wing's release, and only with the latest wave has there been enough variety in the game to make it work.

The idea is to run quasi-random 66 point squads, without requiring a huge collection of components, in a format that will work for casual or tournament play. (I'm thinking about using these rules for running games at my FLGS.)

Here's the PDF: http://www.outworld-studio.com/xwing/pdf/Division-66-Squad-C...

I think this is pretty airtight, but you tell me. Does it seem fun? Does it seem open to abuse? I recommend that you try a few dummy hands and see the sorts of squads you end up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like the idea but I would only change that if you can't remove a ship and be at 2 or more ships after having your fleet built, then your stuck with the ship your with. This will prevent people from purposely making their fleet illegal just to redo the process because they don't like the fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apocalyp wrote:
I like the idea but I would only change that if you can't remove a ship and be at 2 or more ships after having your fleet built, then your stuck with the ship your with. This will prevent people from purposely making their fleet illegal just to redo the process because they don't like the fleet.

I think that rule is already in there. "A player may not dismiss a ship if it would result in a squad of fewer than 2 ships." So you are stuck with at least 2 of the ships you draw. Your deck would be declared illegal before you drew your ship cards if it were not possible to field at least 2 ships. So that shouldn't be a problem, unless I misunderstand you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your right although I'm not sure why the next line is required then since you can't dismiss down to below 2 ships.

I might try this out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apocalyp wrote:
Your right although I'm not sure why the next line is required then since you can't dismiss down to below 2 ships.

They are different thoughts. One is that you can't dismiss a ship if it would leave you with less than 2 ships. The other is that you can't field less than 2 ships -- which should be impossible if you've followed all of the rules to that point but it seemed important enough to state it explicitly there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated (a couple of times). Use the original link for the current version. Important changes are in orange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The squad rules have been updated based on testing and feedback. It was reasoned that if we're going to run a game night, we'd better stick with 100 point squads. It means longer games, but each player can still fit 2 games in a roughly 3-hour block. Not bad for a night.

Update: http://www.outworld-studio.com/xwing/pdf/Division-66-Squad-C...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.