Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This article here --> http://truthseekerdaily.com/2013/09/san-francisco-bans-stree...

How crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb

I guess the problem is that they weren't paying attention to the anti-war protestors.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going to get a lot of hatred for this but I can see why. I live in Chicago and in a neighborhood with active drug trafficking. Some vendors sit on card tables and transfer drugs quickly in plastic baggies. What boils my blood is that when they get word of police they call their children outside and pretend it's just the family relaxing in their front yard.

However this is a law of unintended side effects like with sex offenders. Sex offense laws are very severe, but public urination is sexual offense. So having to tell all of your neighbors that you are a sex offender because you couldn't find a toilet quickly enough wasn't the purpose of the law.

The police wish to stop the drug sales, but sadly a law of "no illegal activity during a public game of chess" is rather meaningless. It reminds me of a teacher's "no electronic devices period" rule, since people cannot play nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Skygor wrote:
I'm going to get a lot of hatred for this but I can see why. I live in Chicago and in a neighborhood with active drug trafficking. Some vendors sit on card tables and transfer drugs quickly in plastic baggies.

Sorry to say but people don't need chess or cards to sell drugs. I lived in the inner city too for several years, plenty of people selling without needing any disguise or front.

What's next? Selling drugs out of a daycare and therefore banning all daycares? It's a stupid rule; made by the city that's the capital of stupid rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:

Sorry to say but people don't need chess or cards to sell drugs. I lived in the inner city too for several years, plenty of people selling without needing any disguise or front.

Agreed. Taking Chess away won't change anything but take away Chess from innocent people wanting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambling.

Also: class war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

I guess the problem is that they weren't paying attention to the anti-war protestors.

Not surprising with them being so engrossed in their war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skygor wrote:
I'm going to get a lot of hatred for this but I can see why.

I don't know about hatred. Disagreement maybe.

Skygor wrote:
I live in Chicago and in a neighborhood with active drug trafficking. Some vendors sit on card tables and transfer drugs quickly in plastic baggies. What boils my blood is that when they get word of police they call their children outside and pretend it's just the family relaxing in their front yard.

So I guess you'd be in favor of making "the family relaxing in their front yard" also illegal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
This is legislating on the run, and is generally frowned upon, except by politicians and police bureaucracies.

If you are stupid enough to think that such general bans are necessary to combat specific crimes (and worse, do it under the auspices of vapid garbage such as "it’s a disguise for some other things that are going on") then you've already lost, and have no business being in a position of authority to make such idiotic decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played boardgames outdoors like that. The idea of getting arrested for it, or having my game confiscated, in a supposedly free country is crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears from the article that only chess is to be prohibited, however. Street Advanced Squad Leader, anyone..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
As with many of these type of news items it appears to be a zoning thing. The store owners don't want a bunch of homeless guys playing chess outside their shops. If there was no harm from their activities then there wouldn't be any fuss. Would you want a bunch of homeless guys playing chess and drinking on the pavement outside the front of your house?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
As with many of these type of news items it appears to be a zoning thing. The store owners don't want a bunch of homeless guys playing chess outside their shops. If there was no harm from their activities then there wouldn't be any fuss. Would you want a bunch of homeless guys playing chess and drinking on the pavement outside the front of your house?

Well, yes. But you have a point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:

No, I would not want that.

But stopping that from occurring does not require a law prohibiting the playing of chess outdoors.

There are two many laws in our country that are too focused on one objective. Instead of creating a law to ban outdoor chess, the business owners could have insisted the police enforce loitering, public drinking, and drug laws that already exist. Creating a law banning a legal activity is insane.

You state that if there were no harm from their activity that there would be no fuss. There is no harm the last time I looked in two people playing chess. If there are illegal activities resulting from the two people playing chess, enforce an applicable law against the people causing the problem, not the chess players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Myrdin T Sasnak wrote:

No, I would not want that.

But stopping that from occurring does not require a law prohibiting the playing of chess outdoors.

There are two many laws in our country that are too focused on one objective. Instead of creating a law to ban outdoor chess, the business owners could have insisted the police enforce loitering, public drinking, and drug laws that already exist. Creating a law banning a legal activity is insane.

You state that if there were no harm from their activity that there would be no fuss. There is no harm the last time I looked in two people playing chess. If there are illegal activities resulting from the two people playing chess, enforce an applicable law against the people causing the problem, not the chess players.

I couldn't see any reference to a new law in the linked article. It appears solely in the subject of the OP. I would infer from this that existing zoning and public nuisance laws were used in this instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the upside, a lot of people will learn to play Go, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this not RSP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So local people complain about something, the authorities listen and this is wrong?

This is not a police state in the being, it's local businesses and people standing up against something they think is a nuisance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Jon_1066 wrote:

No, but is a bunch of homeless people drinking and not playing chess outside any better? If chess is not the issue they're trying to resolve and banning it won't resolve the underlying issue then the ban is pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

No, but is a bunch of homeless people drinking and not playing chess outside any better? If chess is not the issue they're trying to resolve and banning it won't resolve the underlying issue then the ban is pointless.
Yes, because they can be moved on. The issue is that street chess is a way of avoiding that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
delinear wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

Yes, because they can be moved on. The issue is that street chess is a way of avoiding that.

So they'll play Go, or Dominoes, or Monopoly instead...

...actually, maybe that last one should be banned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krakengames wrote:
Maybe we should ban traveling to and from football games too because some use it as a disguise for violence and destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
delinear wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

So they'll play Go, or Dominoes, or Monopoly instead...

...actually, maybe that last one should be banned...

:P
Jokes aside I suspect they may well have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
krakengames wrote:
Maybe we should ban traveling to and from football games too because some use it as a disguise for violence and destruction.
Again this was in response to local complaints, small government in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
slatersteven wrote:
delinear wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

They can be moved on regardless of whether they're playing chess or not. If they're being a nuisance, move them on, if people are playing and are not being a nuisance, leave them alone. The only reason I can see for a blanket ban is that it relieves police of the need to exercise common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.