Subject: Lost Cities: First Playthrough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up months ago, with the intention of introducing it to the gaming group. Unfortunately, being a 2-player game, it's not really suited to group play.

But I've been talking with my wife about playing more games, and thought this would be a good couple game, so here we go:

The kitten helps her dad set up the game board

After a quick read-through of the rules, the gameplay seemed easy enough, though the scoring system didn't really stick in my feeble artist mind. But we can come back to that.

The game itself is really quite accessible, and easy to begin. Being that I am the oldest, I started first.

Round the First:

We began our expeditions with any investment cards we had. [turns out, that's a potentially risky proposition]. Then just stacked up number cards--smallest to largest--into the appropriate color-coded destinations. The first round moved relatively quickly, as we didn't yet understand the strategy involved. We emptied the draw pile, and so began the scoring round.

Oh, the scoring round... Now, I am a very right-brained person, and the concept, design and illustration of this game REALLY appeals to that part of me. So, with that said, this may be just me, but the scoring of each round seems ridiculously over-complicated. You add the numbered cards; subtract 20; multiply any investments, some other stuff that requires a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics to figure out. I am certain I did not do it correctly.

First Round Score: Wife 9, Myself -20

Round the Second:

In this round, we really started to get the concept. Investments were used more carefully. More attention was paid unto the number of cards left in the draw pile. Strategies became more developed. Even the cats wanted to play. We had to remove our feline friends several times during this round.

Though that last bit may have had more to do with the ice cream consumed in between rounds.

Second Round Score: Wife 2, Rye0077r -16

Even the cat couldn't help us make sense of scoring.

Round the Third:

This time, we both understood the game, and the strategy involved. I even felt like I might with this round. Well, I thought that on the 2nd round also, but who's counting... I could tell that my wife was enjoying herself, and I was too.

Then came the last scoring round. I read through the rules again [for perhaps the 5th time] and realized that I was incorrectly accounting for the investment multiplier. I chose not to retroactively re-score the first two rounds, and just corrected my mistake on the 3rd.

Third Round Score: Wife 3, Rye0077r -1

Ultimately, the game was a success for our first time, we both enjoyed the core gameplay, but agreed that perhaps a Lost Cities Scoring for Dummies book might be helpful. Though this is something we may try to simplify under the "House Rules" clause.

Final Score: Wife 14, Rye0077r -48
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find this Lost Cities scorecard handy:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19177/lost_cities_scor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Huff
United States
Boscawen
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you have an Android device, there is a scoring app that my wife and I find incredibly handy. It makes the whole experience much more enjoyable, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Android (anymore) but I'll check if iOS has a similar app.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks! This looks like it simplifies it a bit.

(Also, if I may Nerd out for a bit, would you happen to be THE Eric Brosius of Looking Glass/Irrational/Harmonix fame?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm the other Eric Brosius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd ask... Probably wasn't the best forum to do so, but...

Anyway, this evening, my wife confirmed that she does indeed like this game, and I have discovered an iOS app for scoring, so I think this may enter the rotation of games to be played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
There's a nice scoresheet here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, now THIS is cool. I love the laminate/dry erase marker idea.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how does the Lost Cities: The Board Game compare? I understand it's a re-implementation of Keltis; does it have anything in common with the card game, other than theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.