Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several monsters deal damage after the encounter. An example is the Enchanter that says this:

"After the encounter, the Enchanter Deals 1 Fire damage to you."

My question is, if you kill the Enchanter during the encounter, does he still do this damage after the encounter? Or does it only apply if you haven't managed to defeat him?

I've been playing it that if you killed the monster during the encounter, then he's dead, banished back to the box, and no longer around to deal additional damage after the encounter.

This makes total sense to me, but I do think it's a debatable interpretation. I've read lots of the rules questions (and also used Google and search functions) and never seen any discussion of this point.

How are are other people playing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:
Several monsters deal damage after the encounter. An example is the Enchanter that says this:

My question is, if you kill the Enchanter during the encounter, does he still do this damage after the encounter? Or does it only apply if you haven't managed to defeat him?

I've been playing it that if you killed the monster during the encounter, then he's dead, banished back to the box, and no longer around to deal additional damage after the encounter.

This makes total sense to me, but I do think it's a debatable interpretation. I've read lots of the rules questions (and also used Google and search functions) and never seen any discussion of this point.

How are are other people playing it?

We've been playing it that you take the damage. Sort of like the monsters in the D&D Adventure Games that always do damage to you even if you defeat them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. In Arkham Horror terms, it has Overwhelming 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:

My question is, if you kill the Enchanter during the encounter, does he still do this damage after the encounter?

Unofficially (but I know it's going to be FAQed this way):
There's no "if defeated" section of that text, so you take the damage. You are on fire whether there's an Enchanter standing there or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
The current moderation is unfair and one-sided...
badge
... So I am not supporting BGG in 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
We figured he probably exploded or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you take the damage. The enchanter doesn't say "if undefeated then take the damage", so the damage isn't conditional on losing. You always take it after the encounter either way.

And yeah, thematically I agree, she explodes when you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of the main reasons she's such a devastating monster regardless of winning or losing. Avoiding her is the absolute best thing to do if available when facing her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I guess I have to concede to the overwhelming opinion that she explodes!

Merisiel is so convenient in these situations.... "Enchanter.... err... No Thanks!"

Thanks for the responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
There's a phrase about payback that's appropriate here, even if the language isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.