12 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule on Unique Upgrades? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Marsh

South Carolina
msg tools
So I think there was a mess up in my OP game the other day, My opponent played two Datas one on each ship. Upon reading the rules can't you only use one per build due to his unique symbol. Plus each time he is used he has to be disabled and then an action has to be used to bring him back right? I think that was played right, but the two Datas really made it hard to hit anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one of each unique name can be included per fleet. There should not be two Datas in the same player's fleet.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your second sentence.

Data's ability uses up your ship's action but you don't have to disable him to do so.

This means he can be used each turn without having to use an action to "enable" him again.

Crew may have different requirements, for example:

Action - such as Sulu who uses your action to have an effect (in the same way as Data).

Conditional Effect - such as Geordi, Spock or Checkov where your ship has to have taken a certain action or manoeuver to allow them to have an effect.

Discard - Such as Uhura or McCoy where they must be discarded from play in order to have an effect.

Disable - Such as Worf where you must disable the card to have an effect and must take an action to enable them to be used again.

Multiple Requirements - Such as Miles O'Brian who requires you to use your action AND to be discarded to have an effect.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:

Crew may have different requirements, for example:

Nice summary. Have you looked at the cards holistically enough to have opinions on how much each of those contribute to the point cost of a card? Ie, does Discard take one more point away from cost than Disable does, etc.

I'm working on custom cards for fun and I'm using an arbitrary ball-park for coming up with my costs, but if there were some guidelines that seem to be systemically followed, that would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
SNIP
Disable - Such as Worf where you must disable the card to have an effect and must take an action to enable them to be used again.

Hope this helps.

regarding this;
we had a question pop up regarding Worf. his card says:

"Disable this card to re-roll your entire attack roll. You must re-roll all of the dice and keep the results of the second roll."

now, this would seem straight forward enough, until somebody pointed out that Page 21 of the rulebook; Column 2; Card Abilities says:

"Unless a card ability uses the word "may" or has "Action," or "Attack" headers, then the ability is mandatory and must be followed."

the discussion was that Worf's card had none of these conditionals, and thus it was manditory to re-roll the first attack, no matter if the roll was favorable or not. Thus, this card would appear to be constant hinderance, rather than a benefit.

i believe this view of the card defeats the spirit of the card, and of the rules on page 21, but i would like a clarification. is there another rule elsewhere that i have missed to help clear this up?

thanks...

...the rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abilities that require you to disable your own card in order to use them are considered optional.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick reply Mr Parks, and I agree with you.
no offense, but is that FAQ'd/cannon or just opinion?
I mean no offense by that, I just know the person who started the discussion with me, and how he thinks. he's all about official black & white...

...the rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, it's like the Roddenberry-canonicity debates all over again laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demonllama wrote:
thanks for the quick reply Mr Parks, and I agree with you.
no offense, but is that FAQ'd/cannon or just opinion?
I mean no offense by that, I just know the person who started the discussion with me, and how he thinks. he's all about official black & white...

...the rich

Well, if I rule on something and don't contradict it later, I guess it's official.

If others keep having the same question, I'll add it to the FAQ. I'm trying not to clutter it up with every single question. For example, the Worf question doesn't come up much because the intention of the card is pretty obvious. But if it should continue to create questions, I'll add it to the FAQ.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Well, if I rule on something and don't contract it later, I guess it's official.

If others keep having the same question, I'll add it to the FAQ. I'm trying not to clutter it up with every single question. For example, the Worf question doesn't come up much because the intention of the card is pretty obvious. But if it should continue to create questions, I'll add it to the FAQ.

Andrew

I appreciate the sarcasm, and honestly apologize for not knowing who you are (old man, bad memory).
your answer solves the debate and should satisfy him.
thank you...

...the rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Rich. I am mentally exhausted 24 hours a day, so I take my chances at humor whenever possible. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your opponent had A Fistful of Datas.

Sorry, had to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.