Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I've never played Descent, but after purchasing Runewars, I've got this and BattleLore 2e coming up on my wish list. But one thing I'm really curious about is how many extra dice sets you need. If this is answered somewhere, forgive me because I didn't find it after spending an hour scrolling through 100 pages of thread titles. Anyway, here are my questions:

1) How many dice packs would you need to ensure that each player in a 5 player game has all the dice he could possibly need to roll at the end of a campaign?

2) How many dice packs would you need to ensure that a single player has enough dice so that no die would ever need to be rerolled during combat?

In essence, it's the same question, but in scenario 1, each player has their own complete set of dice, and in scenario two, there would be one complete set of dice that gets passed around.

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a camlaign and a half and so far we haven't needed more than one set per player (no rerolls to add dice).

I got two additional sets. The original for the overlord and one set per two heroes. It works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played two full campaigns with one set of dice and had no problems. Recently I bought a second set and I will admit that they are nice to have if you're playing on a bigger table. Not having to constantly pass them back and forth between the heroes and the OL is also a plus. Anything beyond that is, in my opinion, essentially a waste of money.

Now to your question. I haven't checked all the equipment and skill cards, but I would be very surprised if you ever needed more than two sets in order to never having to use a die twice. But even with one set these occasions are more or less rare, depending on what combination of classes you have.

If you never want to move dice around ever you'd probably need 10 sets for a five player game, but I would be willing to bet that 90% of those would never need to be touched.

Also, there may be circumstances where you'd need more than than the two green dice that came with LoR. So short of buying the expansion twice you're SoL anyway ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
1 set for each player is the better, but 1 more than the starting one is almost needed, since some expansions powers may need 3 red dices, two browns, etc...

So at least two, at the most 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four campaigns with just the set that came with the base game. No need for more dice or sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just bought one extra set which we used for the second half of our campaign. Just using the dice in the box did get kind of annoying for the first half of the campaign, but we never had problems after adding just 1 extra set of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here heroes have original dice set and they pass it to each other, and OL has custom made dice with stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the initial set is fine. Two sets could be more convenient in some cases (you might have need two black dice when attacking over an elevation line, for example), but there's no "need" for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're using the new expansion with 2 sets and there have been times where a 3rd set has been needed for extra green dice. Also, with Ariad, you can easily get 2-4 extra yellow dice.

It definitely doesn't hurt, and it's nice not having to pass around so many dice all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two extra sets and it seemed like plenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 5 sets, one for each player. There is an abundance of red and yellow. But we still have to share defense die, so it was pointless to buy so many in hindsight. Also I wish they included green die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
For most cases, you don't need more than two sets, total. If you are adamantly against passing dice, then five total is probably what you would want to shoot for. If you do that, you will have a lot of unused dice, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two extra sets. I have 4 sets in 1st Ed, very useful in the 5 player games, so I figured 3 sets was a minimum for 2nd Ed, especially since the dice spread is smaller. The OL needs a set, and having 2 sets to split between 4 Hero players is very handy.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow guys! Thanks for all the responses! So it looks like when I get around to purchasing this, I'll just pick up one extra dice pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
We're using the new expansion with 2 sets and there have been times where a 3rd set has been needed for extra green dice.

...except that there are no green dice in the dice packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n3rd wrote:
Entice wrote:
We're using the new expansion with 2 sets and there have been times where a 3rd set has been needed for extra green dice.

...except that there are no green dice in the dice packs.

Ah, right. Well, then another copy of LoR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait for Trollfens. I believe that comes with a green die or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
Only one sadly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.