Nathan Koehler
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I've had a little bit of time on my hands recently, and have been jotting down a number of ideas I have for the Y-Wing. These include new pilots and Squadron Cards (which is already being talked about on the FFG forums)and a few modifications. I have no idea on costing. But feel free to give me suggestions to your hearts content!

Pilots:

Quote:
Telsij
Y-Wing
PS6
When firing secondary weapons, ships within Range 2 of Telsij may re-roll up to 2 dice

Quote:
Ace Azzameen
Y-Wing
PS6

If an enemy ship ends its turn within range 1, it must place its manuever dial face-up next round

Ace had friends in the Bothan spynet, and this gives him a free Intel Agent, which comes in handy.

Quote:
Davish Krail
Y-Wing
PS4
ACTION: If a friendly ship within range 1 uses a target lock, it may re-roll its attack dice for that attack only. You may re-roll any re-rolls from the original target lock

Stay on target indeed! The wording should stop arguments about it affecting Han or Gunner.

Squadrons:

Quote:
Gray Squadron Y-Wing
Y-Wing Only
If this ship has an active [TURRET], gain a [CREW MEMBER] in your upgrades bar

Quote:
Aggressor Squadron:
Y-Wing Only. PS4 and above.
Add 1 [PILOT TALENT] to your upgrade bar

Aggressors were meant to be Salms Y-Wing Aces. Their turrets, at least in the appearances they made, were pretty deadly (Horton shot down Soontir).

Quote:
Defender Squadron
Y Wing Only
Your upgrade bar gains a [MINE] symbol

Rogue Squadron's bomber jock friends. Also commanded by Horton.

Modifications/EPT:

Quote:
Kill Markings
Modification
Gain a [TALENT] icon. Pay double its cost if it is your second. Cost: 3

Quote:
Death Star Veteran
Talent
once per turn, choose one of the following talents: Squad Leader,Daredevil or Deadeye. Cost: 7?

I'll post others up when i get the chance, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Some interesting pilots, kind of like the TIE bomber ones in that they help others nearby. Personally I could see a Y wing only card that could give the "Elite Pilot Skill" (EPS) but only if their PS is 6 or more. I am not a big fan of the generic crew slot given to the Y wing. If the Y wing has a second crewman then they are the turret gunner (as you have suggested with the turret selection being required). But I do not like to think that you could just as easily replace this with a Navigator, Flight Instructor, Co-Pilot etc... instead. It doesn't feel right with the Y wing as these are designed more for the larger ships with a naturally larger crew.
The mine/bomb option is good as a Y wing only modification.

If you had an EPS for a Y wing pilot then what would you say is the best for someone like Horton or Dutch? (Assuming an EPS limited to PS 6 or more pilots).
I think your suggested ones (Squad Leader and Deadeye especially) would be appropriate.

Again a personal opinion, one of the things I actually like about Y wings, that gives them more character is the fact they do not really need an EPS slot, but I know a lot of people would like to see them get it. Both Horton and Dutch have perfectly good innate skills and work well with a variety of builds. After all they are workhorses, not show ponies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game to Y-Wing Expansion Pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bevan
Canada
flag msg tools
DB Draft wrote:
Both Horton and Dutch have perfectly good innate skills and work well with a variety of builds. After all they are workhorses, not show ponies.
I agree, I don't think Y-Wings are in need of fixing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Hortan Salm had an elite pilot skill. Otherwise I like Y-Wings how they are. Don't get me wrong though, I would be excited for new pilots. I kind of expect some kind of "Y-Wing Aces" pack to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title: BTL-S3
Y-Wing only.
Your ship gains the [crew member] icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Quick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I also don't think Y wings need to be fixed at all. I played in a regionals tournament where a 4 Y wing squad with ion cannons won it. Granted he was a very good player, but try maneuvering effectively when you're getting ioned by 4 Ys. You wouldn't think it's so dangerous until you play against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Shooter McGavin wrote:
I also don't think Y wings need to be fixed at all. I played in a regionals tournament where a 4 Y wing squad with ion cannons won it. Granted he was a very good player, but try maneuvering effectively when you're getting ioned by 4 Ys. You wouldn't think it's so dangerous until you play against it.

I agree with this. I believe most of the Y-Wing's perceived problems come from how other people tend to fly it. The whole goal should be to stay out of the enemy's arc and consistently loop behind them. Now with the blaster turret you can roll 3 dice in a 360 degree arc, that's pretty tempting if you can load it on 3 or four ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooter McGavin wrote:
try maneuvering effectively when you're getting ioned by 4 Ys. You wouldn't think it's so dangerous until you play against it.

Outguessing your opponent's maneuvers is the real game in X-Wing, and if you're constantly ionizing your opponent, you're no longer outguessing them, you know exactly where they're going. I love Y-Wings, though I usually play a buffed up 3 ship set with torpedoes (nice alpha strike capabilities).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
Australia
Ballarat
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snarly_Yow wrote:
Shooter McGavin wrote:

I agree with this. I believe most of the Y-Wing's perceived problems come from how other people tend to fly it. The whole goal should be to stay out of the enemy's arc and consistently loop behind them. Now with the blaster turret you can roll 3 dice in a 360 degree arc, that's pretty tempting if you can load it on 3 or four ships.

I lost just yesterday to 4 Y-wings with ion cannons, i had 2 bwings with hlc and fcs and an ors, got annihilated, took out 1 Y-wing early on but by then it was far too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be a complete P.I.T.A., but I don't think the Y-Wings need fixing.

Ion cannons need fixing. Right now, they're a simple harasser. In Universe, however, they were a HUGE tactical advantage. Completely frying the electrical system of a star fighter or capital ship, the ion cannons turned the tides of many battles, both in favor of the Rebellion and the Empire.

I really think the ion damage needs to be more potent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Y-Wings, it's so easy to ionize a ship, then stay within 2 range of that ship and keep ionizing it until it's dead. Especially if that ship is Stressed, and then it doesn't even get an Action (it's a death sentence on Darth Vader).

I really like the Y-Wings, did a 3 ship build and destroyed an imperial build (Vader+TIE+Bomber), and almost won against a 6 ship build (Vader+5 TIEs, some unlucky rolls turned the tide on me and I lost). Being able to ionize 3 times a turn at 360 degrees is really impressive, especially with asteroids on the map.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
Title: BTL-S3
Y-Wing only.
Your ship gains the [crew member] icon.

This and the [bomb] icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is more need to improve the advanced tie or the Awing.
I didnt see a championship winner with that ships in their list.

HSF is overpowered, a newbie can win with it. Ywings are correct now so I think there are more important things to do but there is another Ywing model with a 2nd crew member... it would be nice to have an android and a 2nd crew memeber combmo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
negroscuro wrote:
I think there is more need to improve the advanced tie or the Awing.

I own an A-Wing and tend to agree. Rolling two attack against Ties which can take an Evade plus roll 3 defense is awful toothless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this upgrade card to represent the E-Wing's laser cannons when the ship was first released and the supercharged guns had overheating issues...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.