Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/us/politics/senators-push-...

Just don't bother with Feinstein...she's all in on this bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The time to write your Senator was 7 or 8 years ago, when we were outraged by the Patriot Act.

Are you really surprised about what is going on now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

The time to write your Senator was 7 or 8 years ago, when we were outraged by the Patriot Act.

Yep, the cat is out of the bag now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

There has to be some way to blame President Obama for the Patriot Act. We're just not trying hard enough.
Well he did not oppose it, unlike all those republicans. If only more voter's had backed senators who opposed it. If only people listened to the Tea Party and backed candidates who supported liberty and opposed the erosion of freedom the act engenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

There has to be some way to blame President Obama for the Patriot Act. We're just not trying hard enough.

He ain't getting rid of it anytime soon and uses as much or more than the last guy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
b a n j o wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

He renewed it and makes good use of it.
So which party has opposed it's renewal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we need to write, can't we just call a friend and talk about what we want our Congresscritters to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
b a n j o wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

He renewed it and makes good use of it.
So which party has opposed it's renewal?

The Libertarian Party.
So as they have no seats in the senate no major US party opposed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

I'm only surprised at politicians doing something that is so sticking their necks out. The NSA phone records thing has been absolute red meat for the media this year, and is something that is hugely unpopular with citizens of all political alignments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

I'm only surprised at politicians doing something that is so sticking their necks out. The NSA phone records thing has been absolute red meat for the media this year, and is something that is hugely unpopular with citizens of all political alignments.
Because when push comes to shove people will vote for the party, not the policy. The Tea party (and Fox) will tell you to vote Republican, and the liberal media will tell you to vote Democratic. Like good girls and boys you all will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The Tea party (and Fox) will tell you to vote Republican, . . .

Republicans will tell you NOT to vote Tea Party.
Yes? what did I say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Because when push comes to shove people will vote for the party, not the policy. The Tea party (and Fox) will tell you to vote Republican, and the liberal media will tell you to vote Democratic. Like good girls and boys you all will.

It doesn't precisely get at what I'm saying, but I had to thumb your comment for being insightful and not absolutely wrong. However, I think you're disregarding policy as a force behind voting decisions...think of how powerful gay marriage has been for Democrats, and abortion rights for both parties. People will often just read a blurb about the people they are casting votes for, and a single issue is enough, usually, to get them to pick that guy or the other guy.

Perhaps the relatively safer status of appearing to be pro-spy state is that there isn't an organized, single-issue movement that will call them on it over and over. Yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit, Drew, I was going to throw you a thumb, too, until that last line. Would've been a banner day on RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The Tea party (and Fox) will tell you to vote Republican, . . .

Republicans will tell you NOT to vote Tea Party.
Yes? what did I say?

I have my doubts that most people who identify with the tea party movement would tell you to vote Republican. They may suggest voting for specific Republicans, but never for the party generally.

I hear from a lot of people that they will no longer financially support the party generally, but only donate to specific candidates.

Over the last several years, Republicans have faced stronger challenges from within their party than from without, with many long-time Senators and House members losing primary challenges.

Why bother with the GOP anymore?

On topic: while writing to your senator, also suggest that they overturn Obamacare in order to save America from collapse.
So has the tea party endorsed candidates that are not Republican?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

It doesn't precisely get at what I'm saying, but I had to thumb your comment for being insightful and not absolutely wrong. However, I think you're disregarding policy as a force behind voting decisions...think of how powerful gay marriage has been for Democrats, and abortion rights for both parties. People will often just read a blurb about the people they are casting votes for, and a single issue is enough, usually, to get them to pick that guy or the other guy.

Perhaps the relatively safer status of appearing to be pro-spy state is that there isn't an organized, single-issue movement that will call them on it over and over. Yet.

Not sure it's as easy as that. One reason is that things like abortion and gay marriage ten to have moral implications that draw specific groups into politics. Liberty is not like that, it's a political not moral code.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
On topic: while writing to your senator, also suggest that they overturn Obamacare in order to save America from collapse.

If we can't figure out how to provide health care to people, we deserve to collapse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So has the tea party endorsed candidates that are not Republican?

I'd say that the informal nature of the Tea Party hasn't had consensus endorsements. Those who believe in the lesser of two evils argument endorse republicans, the closer to libertarian the candidate talks/acts the more enthusiastic the endorsement. Others, more idealistic and maybe even realistic (depending on how you feel), endorse the best candidate that matches their wish list in the hope of changing the political culture as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

If we can't figure out how to provide health care to people, we deserve to collapse.

Obamacare is not about health care. It's about health insurance. Unfortunately, it impedes health care.

Health insurance provides access to health care. At least that is my experience.

Quote:
On that subject, what are your thoughts on HR 2300?

It is also about insurance, and has some sililarities to what McCain talked about (and some of the same issues). It has some good parts and some bad parts. I like making individual insurance deductible, I don't like the "across state lines" scam that is part of all Republican health care proposals.

If it had been proposed 10 years ago, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened. Today, it is unlikely to get out of a Republican-run committee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
I don't like the "across state lines" scam that is part of all Republican health care proposals.

What would be wrong about opening up the markets? Don't you think that artificially limiting them is one of the problems?

There is no current restriction preventing insurance companies from operating in multiple states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

I wrote to my senator and asked him to kick you in the balls. I have yet to hear back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.