Popular Tags: [View All]
N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a Vassal game, we've just had human immigrants invade the Arctic and they are equally able to eat White's nocturnal shrew-cows (in the rooter slot) and Red's beaked dino-diggers (in the herbivore slot).

How do we decide who the immigrants eat?

Thanks,

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it matters. They don't actually remove any pieces, they just check that there is SOMETHING to eat and then they sit in the predator spot and compete with anything else that tries to enter the predator spot. (Of course, If I'm not mistaken I seem to remember that if there is both a rooting animal and an herbivore in the same biosphere the predator space can actually contain two predators that won't compete, because they have two food sources to support them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct - the only time this matters is during a herbivore contest, and if there are two herbivores and the predator can only eat one of them, then the vulnerable one will go extinct (and will take the predator with him - the invader has come in and disrupted the ecosystem).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True - and that's exactly why it matters: Exploiting the predator-defence weakness of another player's herbivore by expanding into their biome and forcing a Herbivore contest can - on a tight board - win a scoring round... and therefore the game.

So it's worth knowing who the immigrant predator would prioritise.

I'll run it past the Yahoo group, too.

Thanks for the responses,

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dodge
United States
PACIFIC PALISADES
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, this is an old thread, but in case you never got a clear answer...

The immigrant is able to feed on both, so you never need to choose outside of a predator face-off when there is more than one food source (a herb/rooter situation). You never assign the predator to one herbivore/rooter or another. There is no "priority" in this game.

In the herbivore culling contest, the check is "Is there at least one predator in this habitat that can eat me?". If the answer is "yes" to one herbivore and "no" to another, the "no" wins. Even if one herbivore can be eaten by two predators in the habitat and the other herbivore only by one of them, it still doesn't matter and you'd check teeth.

RJD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.