Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Space Hulk: Death Angel - variants for noobs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivaylo Bikov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys! I want to share with you a disappointing first experience with my regular saturday-sunday group and Space Hulk: Death Angel - card game.
I was prepared with rules and after a brief explanation of all (5) teammates the game began. There was even an epic soundtrack which must helped for heroic atmosphere hihi. The result after 3 hours was a complete disaster, and they felt a loss of desire to play more. We saw game too hard too coincidental and our biggest achievement was to get to the middle of the second location.
I've been thinking a lot to change the rules to make the game a little more friendly to them and came up with the following option:
When a Space Marine be slain after a successful attack of genestealer - he not dies but suffers injury, which is presented by loss of ability to perform (only he) in future the action card that was used in his squad at the time of his injury - i.e. he was hurt and incomplete. For losst and the third card - he died - i.e. every Space Marine will have 3 life points. But i must do, however, specific tokens for this. How do you think it would be appropriate for this, whether the game will be very easy or will only prolong the agony. Do you have an idea for another way? Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think the difficulty is that brutal, it is a matter of experience, I really only play the game solo or with two people. You can houserule it as you wish, but your group might still not enjoy it.

I think it is also a problem of expectation, I see this as a very thematic filler with lots of chaos, I don't think everybody, or even most people, are into that. I have also never played it for three hours in a row.

Random useful advice: If difficulty is a turn off for you, whatever you do, do not get Ghost Stories, awesome game, but brutal. Legend has it that Yggdrasil is even harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You idea might make it hard tracking which marine loses which action.

Perhaps just the 'life points' you mention would be quick and simple.
If the player rolls high during the Genestealer attack, they can spend a support token (if they have one) to reroll or take the damage and remove the token. If they are hit without a token, then the marine is removed.

Some alternatives you could also try to make it easier.

- Allow use of support tokens to re-roll any roll
- Allow support tokens to be used against swarms 'behind' the marine
- Allow 'your marines' to mean 'any marine'

You just have to be careful with these and make sure everyone is aware that they are 'HOUSE RULES', else people might end up playing it wrong all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivaylo Bikov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your advice friends. Now I have undertaken to test solo some ideas and to see how best it works.
Definitely a matter of more experience and a desire to enter into the theme, but some of my company did not want to engage too much deep.
Perhaps then we will be a smaller group of this game or .. lonely gamer soblue
We'll see. I'll keep you posted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along these lines, a fun variant I use is to allow a marine to sacrifice himself (e.g. with a grenade) and also take out up to 1d + 3 adjacent genestealers (in front or behind). In those situations where swarms pile up on either side of a guy and there's just no way for him to survive, it feels thematic to go out like this. However this can only happen once per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivaylo Bikov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! The sacrifice -this is so meaningful for the game and so thematically. Besides, who would want to stay alive in the claws of genestealers. In the final location such a sacrifice would not only can saved the mission but would give and so much drama.
Thanks for the great idea!
Currently preparing my tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivaylo Bikov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, certainly adds a lot more chance of survival in the event of a tie. Currently i'm conducting a solo test and i try to achieve the right balance of difficulty.
Thanks for  the good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.