Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Portland on Thursday delivering a presentation in the morning. I've got the rest of the day to visit the city.

I'm a real geek, first thing on my mind: Are there any good game stores in town?

So, are there?

And while I'm at it, what else should I see. I've already been told to go to Powell's Books, and the Rose Garden.

Quick now, I'm outta here on Friday morning!

Thanks,
-Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, Rainy Day Games:
http://www.rainy-day-games.com/

Depending on how geeky you are, OMSI may be a required visit:
http://www.omsi.edu/

But, you're right. Powells is a must-visit and could take up most of your time. After that, hang out at whichever McMenamins strikes your fancy:
http://www.mcmenamins.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm from Portland Oregon. While I can't say there's any amazing game stores around here (that I know of) there are a few. "Cyclops" comes to mind, "Things from Another World", and I believe there is a "Dark Horse Comics". I suggest you use Google Local (http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&tab=wl&q=) to search for games and hobbies in the Portland Oregon area.

As for Powells Books, oh yes a must see. I think they say it's one of the biggest book stores in the Northwest or something *shrugs*. They have a huge fantasy/sci fi fiction area -- along with any other subject you're interested in! Anyway after you see that stroll on over to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). It has a lot of cool hands-on science projects you can play around with...Both educational and fun! Not to mention a massive OMNIMAX theater. Just go to omsi.edu to check the schedules and such.

On a side note I believe Cirque du Soleil (cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/default.htm) is in town though I'm not sure for how much longer.

Oh also there's a Classical Chinese garden in downtown Portland worth checking out (not far from Powell's), and a beautiful Japanese garden right outside of town.

Just go to pova.com for more information for travelers like you. If you'll be in town for more then a day you can check out Mt. Hood and it's Timberline Lodge (which I believe was partially used in the movie "The Shining"), visit the coast (where Lewis & Clark ended their journey), or even Oregon's scenic wine country.

Other then that I'd say just enjoy the green beauty that makes the Rose City so amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OBrien
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into old school video games and classic pinball, go to Ground Kontrol, excellent collection of old school video gaming goodness (with libations after 7pm): http://www.groundkontrol.com/news/index.php

Also check out Bridgetown Hobbies on Sandy, lots of minis, a good smattering of euros, and many military models. They also have a table of used/consignment stuff, can be interesting. http://bthobbies.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was fast. Thanks guys.

MR. X - Funny, I was driving down to my hotel in Lake Oswego (sp?) and drove right by (above?) the Cirque tents! Thought about it for a second, but I'm from the Bay Area in CA and could have seen the show in SF or SJ already, so I don't think it's a go for solo.

Mark, thanks for the tips. Trying to figure out McMenamins from their web site... looks cool though.

Patrick, thanks for the videogaming tip.

Looks like plenty to do.

Cheers,
-Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brooks
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RicBret wrote:
I'm in Portland on Thursday delivering a presentation in the morning. I've got the rest of the day to visit the city.

Using PowerPoint by chance?

Too bad you aren't staying through Friday - you could attend GameStorm. If you make it back here again, check in sooner and maybe you could hook up with a local group for gaming.

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCaveman wrote:
RicBret wrote:

Using PowerPoint by chance?

Too bad you aren't staying through Friday - you could attend GameStorm. If you make it back here again, check in sooner and maybe you could hook up with a local group for gaming.

-Chris

Yes, I'm using PowerPoint. It's a presentation on how to do great presentations, and a hands-on session on how to make self-running multimedia CDs with PPT. You could say that PowerPoint is my life. cool

Yes, it's a shame I can't stay longer. I'm sure it's not my last trip up though, I'll check back if and when I do.

-Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you must visit Powell's while you're here. RainyDayGames is waaaay out of the way out in Aloha. Bridgetown Hobbies however is quite good and easy to get to. From downtown, take I-84 to the 33rd ave exit, take a right, go a couple blocks, take a left on Sandy, and you're there. Just be sure to ask the people at the store how to get back on the freeway that's the tricky part. They close at 6pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably too late to do any good, but also be aware that all of the technical books for Powell's are in a seperate building a couple of blocks away from their main store.

If your in the area of Powells, and you've got someone paying for your dinner I'd suggest Jake's Famous Crawfish at 401 SW 12th. Atmosphere is casual, you should be able to walk up without reservation particularly if you eat in the bar area. Their number is (503) 220-1850.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Al Williams
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone else is paying, why wouldn't you eat at El Goucho?
If I'm paying, I'd eat at Thaiphoon (or Lemongrass).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks for all the tips, wish I’d had more time. Home now, with plenty of great experiences. I’m sure I’ll head back to Portland at my next opportunity. Highlights:

- Food, I had a great lunch at Typhoon, amazing Thai clam chowder and crab pad thai and a number of Thai iced teas. For dinner I went down to Sinju and had a terrific meal, I've never had black tobikko nigri before, and cold sake tasting.

- Powell’s books – dropped in and spent four hours here. Just amazing. Continually slapping my head for not having brought my book list. There were several books I saw and could not recall whether I needed them (odds and ends from collections) and on review this morning I expect I’ll be calling back up there to see if they do mail order sales. Dropped $50 there mostly on used books, a little shy to go overboard given luggage constraints.

- Spent an hour walking through the Japanese Tea Garden. Very nice, one of the best I’ve ever visited, and the view of Portland and the Mountains (it cleared up just in time) was spectacular.

Regrets: Didn’t get to any of the McMenamins (but then again I was my own designated driver.) Looked for but did not find Ground Kontrol (not on the Hertz GPS system). Found the zoo (I was presenting at the World Forestry Center, so it was right next door!) but decided not to spend time there.

Thanks again for all the advice! Presentation went great, they did mention inviting me back - maybe I'm on to a new moonlighting career! Again, I appreciate all the advice, I’m sure it will come in handy on future visits.

-Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.