Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a very casual wargamer and I'm currently enjoying the heck out of Commands & Colors: Ancients - mostly solo. I really enjoy it visually, mechanically and historically. But I'd like something else to complement it. Something I could immerse myself into for an afternoon or an evening. I have listed my requirements into MUSTS and HOPES. Musts being more important than hopes. In the end I also list most wargames I have already tried and what I think of them.

The game MUST...
... be a good solo game. I don't mind playing both sides against each other, but the mechanics should support it.
... must not be too complex. I doesn't have to be a light game, but anything with more than 16 pages of rules is probably out.
... not be another C&C game.

I HOPE the game...
... has wooden blocks.
... is something else than WW2.
... is not tactical level.
... is playable in less than 4 hours.
... has medium or low counter density (preferrably no more than 2-3 coutners per hex).
... is more of a game than a simulation.

I have already tried...

Memoir'44 - Which was my favorite game until...
C&C: Ancients - Currently probably my favorite game.
Field Commander: Napoleon - Good solo game, but too tight and "puzzly".
Combat Commander: Europe - Great game, but the opfire and slow pace make it a little difficult to solo.
Conflict of Heroes - Too chess-like, not enough chaos.
Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front - Interesting, but too slow-paced and generally too many counters per hex.
Space Empires 4x - Fun but solo took away the most interesting aspect, hidden units.
D-Day Dice - Not wargame enough.
Struggle for the Galactic Empire - Too slow paced and procedural.

I have been eyeing Pax Baltica, SPQR (Deluxe Edition) and Blocks in the East. What do you guys think, any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have not played the game yet but i'm waiting for the arrival of Zulus on the Ramparts! through the mail if you want to have a look at that. It was either that or Nemo's War and i went for the former mainly because of the components.

Victory Point Games have a lot of other solos you can check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of Victory Point games States of Seige series should serve you very well. They are difficult to win, very replayable, and they are built for solo exclusivity. They have the counter amount you are looking for, and are pretty affordable. Most of their best games have been reprinted with higher quality components as well. It's a can't miss as far as i'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've looked at the States of Seige series many times, but I guess I'm looking for something a little more involved / map based? Does that make any sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some tangential suggestions, not war games but games I've played solo at home that are kind of mappy (is that a word?)

Pandemic - coop so obviously easy to play solo.

Dominant Species - Area control on a hex map and worker placement with an evolution theme. Great game, if on the long side. You can play this solo without too much difficulty by rolling a twelve sided die to determine what action your opponent does in the planning stage, rerolling if the action would be useless or unavailable and using discretion if, for instance, they need to speculate to get pieces on the board. Works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found Washington's War fun to solo, despite the fact that both sides have a hand of cards. Since you enjoy C&C solo, you might give it a shot. I think it has exactly 16 pages of rules. It isn't a super difficult game, but the rules are dense. Totally worth it though. Lots of chaos, but still a lot of player control. Check it out, I think it hits all the right notes for you (no blocks, BUT, is not WW2, is not tactical, is playable in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
I've always found Washington's War fun to solo, despite the fact that both sides have a hand of cards. Since you enjoy C&C solo, you might give it a shot. I think it has exactly 16 pages of rules. It isn't a super difficult game, but the rules are dense. Totally worth it though. Lots of chaos, but still a lot of player control. Check it out, I think it hits all the right notes for you (no blocks, BUT, is not WW2, is not tactical, is playable in

I'm really sorry. The geek ate half of my comment, then ate the edit. Not cool, bgg.

Anyway, WW hits all of your wants and wishes, save for the blocks.

Andean Abyss does use cubes and hexagonal bits to track troops and insurgents. Very interesting game, you could give that a shot, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:

I'm really sorry. The geek ate half of my comment, then ate the edit. Not cool, bgg.

Did you try using a left-arrow (probably to mean "less than")? BGG hates text arrows and will delete any text after a left-arrow (the "shift" symbol on the "comma" key on a Querty keyboard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Quebec 1759 is a 2-player wargame that has wooden blocks and isn't very complicated, but is fun. How well it plays solo is debatable, since you would have to play with all the block-info showing (normally, they are hidden from the opponent), but there are no cards, like other Columbia block games have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
nomoredroids wrote:

Did you try using a left-arrow (probably to mean "less than")? BGG hates text arrows and will delete any text after a left-arrow (the "shift" symbol on the "comma" key on a Querty keyboard).

I did. I meant to say it plays in less than 4 hours, actually. But only in my first post, and not in the edit. Oh well. Thanks, that's good to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
By dismissing WW2 you've eliminated one of the best solo wargames in print today ... John Butterfield's brilliant D-Day at Omaha Beach. It matches the rest of your criteria, sans blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.