Jim
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the first print run of Rise of the Ancients had errors in it, but I also read that a second print run was done in February 2013 that corrected them. So here's the thing - how can I tell if the box I'm looking at picking up from my local store is from the second or first print run? Is there even a way without opening it?

The published date on the back says 2012 - and there is no correction sheet attached to the outside.

For those who got a copy this year that is corrected - is there any date or anything on the box that says one way or the other which version you got? For those who got an uncorrected version, is there anything on there that gives it away?

I couldn't find anything in the threads here that said either way, and the answer I got from Asmodee just confused me even more. Their response when I asked how to tell the first print run with errors from the second print run without was:

Quote:
"It was only the first small print available at the release in Essen. We never received this version in North-America."

Which didn't really help since I know people as late as 2013 and in North America have been getting versions with the errors in, still.

Anyone know, or is it pot luck?

Any help will be much appreciated - this is probably my favourite game and the chance to expand it is something not to be missed!

EDITED TO ADD:

Just got another reply from Asmodee:

Quote:
"The print with the mistake never made it to North-America. we received a couple of request for it, and after a couple of questions we didn't need to ship anything. We have some spares to cover the problem if there's anything. From local stores it's more rare, but from Amazon, the game can come from anywhere, we are now at the third print in North-America."

Does this sound right to people, I've had so many bad customer experiences this year (outside of gaming, mostly) that I am kind of gun shy at the moment!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason why you want one version over the other so badly?

Anyway, if it helps, I just very recently bought the expansion--about 2 months ago--which turned out to be from the second printing. I can't really see anything that would have given this away before opening other than the bar code maybe (6 430018 270081). The year on the box is 2012.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because I'd rather have the correctly printed tiles etc. right out of the box, without having to go through the hassle of chasing down the correction sheet.

Not had much luck with customer service from various sources recently and would rather avoid the necessity!

Thanks for replying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought there was a sheet included with those boxes that corrects the mistakes (and includes a bonus rare tech).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
I thought there was a sheet included with those boxes that corrects the mistakes (and includes a bonus rare tech).

Yes, I got the first printing, and the correction tile sheet was in the box. I'm pretty sure that is true of any first printing that you get in the US.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I bit the bullet and bought the copy sitting in my local store, and it had the tiles with the errors in it! Which would be the print run the guy from Asmodee claimed never made it to North America.blush

Fortunately it also had the correction sheet in it as well. So, not sure what to make of the Asmodee claim that the print with the mistakes in never made it to North America, unless he meant never made it without the corrections already added.

To answer my own question, there doesn't appear to be anything that lets you know this is a first print run on the outside of the box. Case closed.

*Edited for spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyBlue wrote:
Case closed.

Now open it back up and play so RotA.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The claim I recall is that no copies of the first printing without the corrected counters made it to North America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
The claim I recall is that no copies of the first printing without the corrected counters made it to North America.

I think maybe you're right and I just read it in the worst light because of low expectations! I started to realize that as I was writing about what was in the box and that's why I mentioned maybe he had meant that no boxes without the fix in had made it.

My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.