Merchant of Venus (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Playing time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
I heard different things about the playing time of this. My group usually dont like too long games. Can you tell me your experience from one up to four players?
Is there a way to make it shorter?
Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is quite long. It's around an hour per player, or more if you are beginners. Plus, the setup is quite long too. And more players there are, the longer downtime will be. I wouldn't try it with four.

I think it is a little longer with standard rules than with classic, but there is a little more theme. The lightspeed variant suggested in the rules may speed up the game, but I don't really like it because it cuts down one of the most thrilling aspects of the game - exploration. Instead I prefer to play less turns, say 22-24 instead of 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
Ok thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
One hour per player - as Mikhail said.
But I might add that it makes for a great 2 player game. I play it quite often with my wife, but we always use the epic variant (1.5 hours per player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bynaker
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the 2nd edition yet but the original game victory condition was play to $x. So for a shorter game just use a smaller x. Note the strategies for a short game are different than a long game and the short game doesn't always allow enough time to balance out the luck factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadu
Brazil
São Gonçalo
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
badge
Spectreman fan!
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

Playing Mov (Standard rules) we always take more time than "one hour per player". blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadu Carioca wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

Playing Mov (Standard rules) we always take more time than "one hour per player". blush

I guess it depends on the individual players.
As we know that game inside out, we usually don't need an hour meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.