Subject: Playtest of the Rohan Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Here is a playtest report from one of the interim rulesets. In looking back over it I see that a few things have changed for the final version that will soon be released. I’ll be happy to answer any questions about the report or my nomenclature if desired. In this game I play Rohan and my usual opponent, Andrew, plays Isengard.

Turn 1, 1 sword in the box, 2T drawn. (In the Rohan game an Ent is placed in Fangorn if a Fate Tile with the JRRT logo is drawn, but at this stage in the playtesting the tiles had little trees drawn on them.) I brought in Theodred and did the usual musterings in West Rohan. Andrew stoked up the Fires and brought in orcses and Dunlendings as well.

Turn 2, 1 sword, 3 draw, Fate 5 total. I’m feeling pretty good right now as both Eomer and Treebeard enter this turn. I begin to bring my units together and fall back to Helm’s Deep and Edoras, leaving the Isen and the Entwade uncontested. (I didn’t realize in this game that there is a fort now in West Isen, but I’m not sure if I would have changed my play either.) Andrew begins to move his forces forward and plays Few Men to Guard Your Walls.

Turn 3, 1 sword, , Fate 6 total. I play Eowyn, Lady of Rohan to the Table. Saruman sends his armies Marching Away. Grima Returns with Information and Eomer is found to inspire Little Trust. (Still no way to get this card off the table!) Two 5 unit armies have fallen back inside Helm’s Deep and another is falling back towards Edoras. In retrospect I gave the Rohan Plains away too easily. In the first 3 turns I rolled 5 wills. In the next 3 I will roll none.

Turn 4, 1 sword, 1 draw, Fate 7 total. Just when I need to move my armies, I roll 4 characters and a muster. Andrew’s armies begin driving my armies back to where I want them to go, and I’m not taking much damage in the process. With all those characters Ents sprouted left and right in Derndingle. (Character die can be used to muster Ents, but not activate them.) Andrew’s armies take East Rohan. All of the villages have fallen except Harrowdale.

Turn 5, 1 sword, 2 drawn, Fate 9 total. No Wills. (Wills or certain cards are required to activate the Ents.) Andrew attacks Edoras starting with the Devilry of Saruman. He rolls 4 hits and destroys the defenses. Orcs then assault the troops, but are destroyed at too high a cost. When the Uruk Hai take up the storming there is no stopping them. Andrew then moves down and takes Harrowdale in a brief skirmish. He has 10 victory points, but the forces behind the Deeping Wall stage a Fast Offensive and re-take Deeping Coomb.

Turn 6, 1 sword, 2 drawn, Fate 11 total. No Wills! Saruman’s forces re-take Deeping Coomb. I finish mustering Ents to the Forest’s capacity, but we both know when and where the action will be. He re-takes Deeping Coomb. I re-re-take it, but the bad guys get the last die and and Deeping Coomb falls giving Andrew his 10 VPs.

Looking back over the game I made some clear mistakes, and got a bit unlucky at the end. I was really counting on the Ents coming down from above and clearing the Rohan plains but it never happened. Also, I only drew two story cards the entire game, which hurts. (This methodology was changed and is no longer a problem.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I had a hard time understanding this, because it alludes to mechanics that don't have any meaning unless one knows all the rules to the game. Saying you did "the usual musterings" is opaque for me, since I've no idea what's usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.