Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I are both interested in giving Netrunner a try. We live at opposite ends of the country and would predominately (attempt to) play this via webcam.

My question is this: Is it possible to buy just 1 core set and split the cards (thus sharing the cost)? We'd buy a 2nd core set later if we liked it and it worked well over webcam.

I understand that we'd both need to choose a side and stick with it.

Are there any other limitations/issues we'd face? Anyone tried this? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do it - what will you do if your friend & you drift apart? Who will get custody ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haha. Well I guess then we'd both need to buy a set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head: Parasite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Off the top of my head: Parasite?

generic token to show Parasite target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

Sounds like splitting the set will work.

@2097 - thanks for the list of items to split - that will be really helpful.

I'd imagine chess over webcam would work very well, especially with its notation system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you split 1 Core you will need to have one player pick up the Corp and one pick up the Runner side. You will not be able to build a deck of each side for both players because you will not have enough of the Neutral cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pitpony wrote:

Sounds like splitting the set will work.

Noo it wont work...

You will each be stuck with half of the game. ANd you wont be able to try out the other half.

One of you would have to ALWAYS be the runner and the other the corp.

Splitting a CORE is a silly idea especially for such a cheap base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Wagner
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck with your introduction to Netrunner.

I love when people do whatever is possible to try and play a new game. You will get LOTS of fun even with only a core set.

I know you will probably want another one in a near future, but everyone should always start with only 1: Remember, in the beginning there were no datapacks and people would still get lots of fun.

A second core is nice, but it isn't as needed as some players will tell you.

Probably you will someday want to switch sides... when that day comes, you can try playing on OCTGN. (I can't suggest OCTGN for players who never played in real life)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that we will have to pick a side (runner or corp) and stick with it.

As I said, if we liked it (and it worked well over webcam) we'd likely pick up another core set so that we can experience both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Wagner
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone have infinite money. Some people do need to live in a strict spending way, also not everyone can afford 50$ just to see if they will like the game or not.

Go ahead, have fun. When you think the fun is decreasing, buy another core!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
A fast, easy and pain-free way is by using OCTGN. It's the best way of playing while at a distance:
https://github.com/db0/Android-Netrunner-OCTGN/wiki/How-to-P...

It's an online program used to play various card games.
You can also find how-to tutorials on youtube.

Just set up OCTGN, play a game or 2 and than decide if the game is for you or not. No need to hassle with physical cards.

You can also use the webcam while you play.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks thesleeper7.

I did look into OCTGN. Unfortunately (or fortunately, from a productivity point of view) we are both Mac users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately OCTGN is the only program that supports A:NR, however there are alternatives

You could try the original Netrunner game using VASSAL http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php. It has a nice module:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Netrunner

*Don't click on the link, but copy-paste it. It should contain the full "Module:Netrunner" part *

It even comes with 2 starter decks per-built.

I you could try that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If at all possible, I would strongly suggest that rather than splitting a core, you each get your own.

Yes, you can split the cards along corp/runner lines, and tokens and the rules are available online, but then you're both stuck playing one side of the game.

However, you could buy and split a core now, and then buy and split another in a few months....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can't imagine that buying a copy of Netrunner locally and shipping half the cards cross-country would be that much cheaper than buying two copies.

edit: oh, your country is a lot smaller than I was thinking when I saw "the other side of the country." And your games are more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wardle
United Kingdom
Petworth
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm the other half in this equation. I'll be seeing Chris on Friday and the thinking is to buy it before then and split it so no additional cost in shipping it to each other.

We both want to play the game as we've heard rave reviews of it (mainly from SU&SD). If we like it then we'll definitely buy a second set so that we each have a full copy (and thus be able to play it with other people!).

Thanks everyone for your advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davewardle wrote:
I'm the other half in this equation. I'll be seeing Chris on Friday and the thinking is to buy it before then and split it so no additional cost in shipping it to each other.

We both want to play the game as we've heard rave reviews of it (mainly from SU&SD). If we like it then we'll definitely buy a second set so that we each have a full copy (and thus be able to play it with other people!).

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Shout out to SU&SD! I love that show Also, Quinn's Netrunner Tips is amazing

In fairness, I think this is the best short-term solution for you guys based on your circumstances. I definitely think you'll be splitting a second core set soon as well

Whereabouts in the UK are you both by the way? Always on the scout for more opponents ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd pop by and update you (for those interested).

We went ahead and bought a single core set, splitting the contents as per the suggestions (I took the corps, Dave took the runners).

We both read the rules and then set out to play the game via webcam.

We opted for Google Hangouts and used the the built-in webcams in our laptops (tilting the screen down to point at our desks). We both have an external monitor too so we could view the webcam image.

During play we used this site for fast reference to the cards in each of our decks -> http://netrunnerdb.com/find/?q=e%3Acore+f%3Aj%7C-+d%3Ac&sort...

The video quality wasn't that great, so whilst we could make out card colours and shapes, we couldn't read the text. It was good enough to see the number of servers, ice installed, programs etc though.

Lots of time was spent describing cards and explaining actions in detail. Some of this was down to it being our first game - I'm sure as we learn the cards and their effects, we won't need to do as much of this.

When a card had to be viewed by the only the runner (e.g. a run on HQ), I held it up to the webcam and looked away from my screen. This was a bit annoying but we managed.

Stolen agendas were placed in a pile on my desk so that they could be seen.

Overall we had fun. It was an enjoyable experience and one we'll definitely try to repeat regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.