Subject: Co-Op deck builder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

I'm looking to pick up a co-op deck builder and I'm hoping you fine folk can offer some suggestions. The key things I'm looking for are:

2-4 players
co-op
soloable
sub 2hr game time (closer to 1 hr if possible)
Has an actual conclusion rather than point victory

Shadowrift seems to tick all of those boxes, but unfortunately I'm struggling to find a copy in the UK. Gameslore had some in stock but I missed out and they can't tell me when they'll get another batch in

I've looked at Dominion, Thunderstone and their ilk, but I'm really not a fan of winning by victory points. Shadowrift caught my eye because there is a definate conclusion to the game - you close the rifts and save the village.

So, if Shadowrift isn't currently an option I was wondering if there were any other games that might feed my craving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Marvel is my favorite cooperative deck builder. Technically it's semi-cooperative with the MVP going to whoever earned the most points in the course of winning the game, but you can easily ignore the victory points if that's an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Behal

Newtownabbey
Antrim
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Legendary just got it and it is always a hit on the table; yet to find a group that does not enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cooperative siege mode in Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption is a lot of fun. It's very tense and its truly cooperative. While points are used to check if you beat the game, you can easily make a narrative around the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
This thread may be helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
+1 Legendary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Philibert online store in France has a copy of Shadowrift (or did a few weeks ago). Don't know how much it would cost to ship to you but presumably less than from the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet, but I think you should take a look at Rune Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I completely forgot about Legendary. Can you play as specific heroes in Legendary or are you always generic characters, using whatever powers take your fancy? By that I mean, in the videos I've seen no body plays as the Hulk, rather anybody can take Hulk like powers. It doesn't bother me too much but I know it might not sit well with my group if they aren't playing a specific hero.

Thanks for the link and Philibert suggestion Wesley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluehammer wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I completely forgot about Legendary. Can you play as specific heroes in Legendary or are you always generic characters, using whatever powers take your fancy? By that I mean, in the videos I've seen no body plays as the Hulk, rather anybody can take Hulk like powers. It doesn't bother me too much but I know it might not sit well with my group if they aren't playing a specific hero.

Thanks for the link and Philibert suggestion Wesley.

It's more like you're recruiting the Hulk to smash things for you. The hero cards are designed to work well with each other for a given hero as well, so you're usually better off specializing in two heroes than trying to collect powers from every hero. Typically you'll end up with most of your deck being two heroes, say Hulk and Hawkeye (aka "Hulkeye") with maybe a few cards from a third hero splashed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another idea:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

While it is not a deckbuilder in the way of "Dominion", it does match all your criteria.

1-4 players (two Core Sets recommended for 3-4 players).
Fully cooperative.
Perfectly soloable.
Play time below 1h.
Actual conclusion.

Deck building or rather deck construction is also a fundamental part of it, but you do not build the deck during the game (as in "Dominion"), but rather before the game.

And it's an excellent game, too!

Downsides:

Well, it's not a deckbuilding game, as explained above.

It has quite a number of expansions, and you will want to get most of them over time (but no need to rush there).

It's quite hard for beginners (not necessarily a downside).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Legendary Marvel is my favorite cooperative deck builder. Technically it's semi-cooperative with the MVP going to whoever earned the most points in the course of winning the game, but you can easily ignore the victory points if that's an issue.

We tend to barely notice the points. More often than not I'm more excited to see how the group each made their own deck that worked differently than everyone else. We look at them, but we just enjoy the mechanics of it all.

This is EASILY the best recommendation I have for you here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluehammer wrote:
Hey all.

I'm looking to pick up a co-op deck builder and I'm hoping you fine folk can offer some suggestions. The key things I'm looking for are:

2-4 players
co-op
soloable
sub 2hr game time (closer to 1 hr if possible)
Has an actual conclusion rather than point victory

I like Shadowrift quite a bit, but my solo plays (2 or 3 heroes) last all around 2h or more, if the town does not get wiped out before because I made mistakes early.
There is some "upkeep" time that is shared between players, so with 1 hero for player it should speed up; when solo it is up to you to do everything, one thing after another.

An alternative could be Rune Age.
I usually do not recommend it for solo play; but when played co-op everyone had a lot of fun, I think because everyone is really struggling together, trying to bring their own assets to help the others.
The game has 4 scenarios (play modes): in the base game there is a (very hard) co-op scenario, that can also be played solo (with 1 faction, of course you can use more if you want); and a competitive scenario that can be soloed against the event deck, but I call that a "training mode".
After I picked up the expansion Rune Age: Oath and Anvil I find things are really improved for solo, and my gut feeling is for co-op too (through just one game...)
In the expansion there are new cards for the old scenarios (that for me enhance the old co-op when played solo), and a second, new, co-op scenario that uses most of the cards of the competitive scenario I talked of above and makes it fully co-op, and challenging.
I feel it ticks all your points.
Both the game and the expansion should be cheap.
(A warning: it does not play like Dominion at all, even if mechanically it is quite similar.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.