Bugs in the Kitchen» Forums » Variants

Subject: The obvious diceless variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the die has three wild sides, why not just ditch the die altogether? It seems to me it just slows down the game, and doesn't make much difference anyway. The game flows better without the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvano Sorrentino
Italy
Bari
BA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The diceless variant sounds better to me, too.
If you want to add just a bit of limitations in your move (that's why the die was added, I guess), you can just do this:

- in your turn, announce the kind of wall you are moving ("spoon!", "knife!", "fork!")
- you cannot move a wall of the same kind of the player who just moved.

(this could also add a little bit of tactics into the game if you are playing with adults, because you can try to block some obvious winning moves)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe... Forbidding moving the same wall as the previous player is certainly a good rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilsilvano wrote:
The diceless variant sounds better to me, too.
If you want to add just a bit of limitations in your move (that's why the die was added, I guess), you can just do this:

- in your turn, announce the kind of wall you are moving ("spoon!", "knife!", "fork!")
- you cannot move a wall of the same kind of the player who just moved.

(this could also add a little bit of tactics into the game if you are playing with adults, because you can try to block some obvious winning moves)

That works really well. The non-repetition of wall type means you cant just move the same wall back as the last person and there is a one in three chance of the best wall that you want to move being also prohibited. Just enough to make you pause a second or two which can make all the difference.

We haven't even tried to use the die, looks like it would just take the focus of attention away from the board where the action/fun is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is an interesting idea.

Are you still playing like this Mikko? And does anyone else have experiences with this variant that they can share?

Are you basically playing that on their turn players can move any wall they like, as long as it's not the same wall-type as the one moved by the previous player? Or are there other restrictions that need to be implemented as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played this much in the past years, but whenever I've played, it's been with the diceless variant.

The only restriction we've used is that you can't change the same wall the previous player changed. That's all that is required, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.