Subject: Keeper Action cards are common knowledge? Seems a bad rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Came up in scenario 1. Since the investigators can see the Maniac Attack card or whatever it is called, they pretty much know what is going to be repeatedly happening and can specifically avoid splitting up etc. Similar deal with Raise Dead and other cards.

Has this detrimentally affected anyone's games? Seems to blow the immersion for me somewhat. I'd rather they had no idea why weird stuff was happening or how much threat it is costing me. I am thinking of keeping these cards private to the Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tore Halvorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
Call of the Wild has the keeper action cards secret until the first time they are used. It works rather well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Came up in scenario 1. Since the investigators can see the Maniac Attack card or whatever it is called, they pretty much know what is going to be repeatedly happening and can specifically avoid splitting up etc. Similar deal with Raise Dead and other cards.

Has this detrimentally affected anyone's games? Seems to blow the immersion for me somewhat. I'd rather they had no idea why weird stuff was happening or how much threat it is costing me. I am thinking of keeping these cards private to the Keeper.

Yeah, I have no idea why they went with public action cards for the base game. In most cases, it should be fine to keep them private, but in other cases it might throw the balance of the scenario off if the investigators don't know what they have to deal with.

As the above poster says, this was changed for the Call of the Wild expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought MoM, I made my own house-rule that the players are not allowed to know what Keeper Action cards are available until they are played. After that, it is common knowledge. Funny I did this without even knowing about Call of the Wild.

You might want to go one step farther in that certain cards allow the Keeper to summon certain monsters based upon how many other monsters are removed (Second scenario I believe). So, if you remove one cultist and replace it with a zombie, you still might not want to let the players know that you could also remove two cultist to summon a Hound of Tindalos, or even three cultist to summon a Shoggoth, until you actually do summon those monsters. Once all three types have been summoned, then the Keeper Action card could be public knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I guess the reason they made the action cards open is because after playing a scenario once, the players will know what actions are available to the keeper anyway. So I guess it was an equaliser between new players and experienced players.

The difference with Call of the Wild is that the action cards the keeper holds may be different depending on his setup choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as a fair balance in game play. Keeper knows what weapons, items and abilities each Investigator has so, quid pro quo. Like I won't drop a Maniac on Harvey knowing he has a shotgun. Although it would be interesting to play a game were both sides kept their cards secret. It would make trading items a lot more tactical...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milne
England
Chertsey
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you really want to unleash a Maniac in The Fall of House Lynch and the investigators refuse to split up, just use Uncontrollable Urges first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.