Subject: About Marsh in the Terrain Effects Chart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomas Teuho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While preparing for my first game of NATO I encountered a problem concerning the terrain type Marsh in the Terrain Effects Chart. In the TEC, Marsh is assigned identical values with Clear terrain (Movement point cost 1, Attack die roll penalty 0, Double soft unit defense No). I failed to locate references to Marsh in the actual rulebook.

I find this a bit puzzling. Is Marsh really to be considered identical to Clear terrain, i.e. it has no effects whatsoever on combat or movement? In that case, why would they designate certain hexes as Marsh hexes in the first place, purely for flavour? Or maybe the entry in the TEC is a typo? The Errata contained no information on the subject.

I would be very grateful for any information on the matter anyone might be willing to share. After all, traditionally Marsh has been represented as an obstacle for the attacker in wargames and there is quite a bit of it on the map in northern Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you are right!. And the errata don't show anything about this. Maybe the best solution is som kind of house rule: Mech units pay 2 MP per hex, and soft units double in defense. It's also possible restrict landing of airborne units...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
It does appear in the errata: Marsh differs from Clear in that Hard Units may not Exploit into Marsh.

Quote:
171: Delete this rule and substitute the following: "Exploitation: A hard
unit that has advanced after combat without crossing a Major River
hexside can use exploitation to advance one additional hex into any
adjacent hex not occupied by an enemy unit. A unit cannot exploit into
or out of any of the following hex types: major or key city, mountain,
rough, marsh, or a hex containing a Chemical Warfare or Interdiction
marker. Additionally, a unit cannot use exploitation to exit an enemy
Zone of Control hex, though it can exploit into any type of enemy
Zone hex."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.