United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 256th TGIF Poll
For all the following questions imagine you had a game that you considered one of your all-time favorites. Would you do the following things:

Would you rate it a 10?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
81.7% 277
No
17.1% 58
I don't know how to do that, or didn't know that was possible
1.2% 4
Voters 339
Would you put it in your Top 10?
Yes
85.3% 289
No
9.1% 31
5.6% 19
Voters 339
Would you Subscribe to the game on BGG?
Yes
52.2% 175
No
46.0% 154
1.8% 6
Voters 335
Would you "Become a Fan" of the game on BGG?
Yes
49.6% 167
No
45.1% 152
5.3% 18
Voters 337
Would you "Like" it on Facebook through BGG?
Yes
12.2% 41
No
78.3% 264
9.5% 32
Voters 337
Would you "Share" it on Google+ through BGG?
Yes
3.8% 13
No
83.5% 284
12.6% 43
Voters 340
Would you buy a fan microbadge for the game (assuming you had enough geekgold or a microbadge coupon)?
Yes
79.3% 264
No
20.1% 67
0.6% 2
Voters 333
Would you mark it as "Want to Play" on BGG?
Yes
23.3% 79
No
72.0% 244
4.7% 16
Voters 339
This poll is now closed.   340 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Oct 3, 2013 6:00 am

9. What game (not expansion) that you played for the first time in 2013 might come the closest to being an all-time favorite?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
9. What game (not expansion) that you played for the first time in 2013 might come the closest to being an all-time favorite?

Russian Railroads, most likely. I've played a number of games for the first time in 2013 which I've really enjoyed, but I see this one as most likely to stand out.

At least so far - there are a lot of fascinating 2013 releases I haven't played yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To me, a perfect storm would be one which rains down Reddi-Wip and cherries.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
For questions #5 and #6, there should be an option to answer "I'm not on Facebook" and "I'm not on Google+". Those of us who decline to be involved in social media have no way to answer correctly. I had to mark it as "I don't know how to do that", when I actually simply cannot do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Nothing so far. I've played a few good games but nothing that would make my top 10 or "all-time favorites" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
For questions #5 and #6, there should be an option to answer "I'm not on Facebook" and "I'm not on Google+". Those of us who decline to be involved in social media have no way to answer correctly.

Seems like you are covered by "no".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

9. Qwixx, Lords of Waterdeep and Suburbia are the three new-to-me games this year that have stood out, but I'd be hard pressed to pick between them - they've all had similar number of plays, and show signs of having similar longevity. None of them are 10s though, so I'm still hoping to meet something this year that will hit that high!

Other questions:

1/2. Rating it a 10 is only for games that have that special something, or games that get a lot of play - any game I've played more than 100 times gets there, just because to be good enough to play 100 times, it must be pretty impressive! An all-time favourite would probably be a 10, and be in my Top 10.

3. I don't subscribe to any game on BGG - I've tried it a few times, and found it overwhelming trying to keep up with the postings, most of which weren't interesting to me.

8. "Want to Play" is where I list games that I'm interested in - kind of like a Wishlist, but at a lower level, not necessarily games that I'd want to buy, but ones I'd like to try to see if I'd later want to buy. I use it particularly post-Essen to mark which Essen games didn't make our buylist, but looked interesting enough to try if other people had bought them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-9. Space Cadets: Dice Duel is probably my favorite game of the year so far. It's just so stinking fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered "Yes" to almost all of these because that's exactly what I've done with my two favorite games, Merchants & Marauders and High Frontier. The only "No" answers were the two social media (facebook/G+) ones, because I never bother with those even when on those sites.

Quote:
Clash of Cultures and Rallyman are the only two I'd played "new" in 2013 that could have the potential. I really enjoy both and would rank them in my Top10, but don't see either ever coming close to unseating my two top favorites mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
Blott wrote:

Nothing so far. I've played a few good games but nothing that would make my top 10 or "all-time favorites" list.

Nothing this year for me either. I have some great games that could easily make it if I played them (Clash of Cultures, Spartacus, Burgundy etc) just need to find the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd pick Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar as my favorite this year. Trajan, which I also only picked up this year, gives it a good run, but Tzolk'in wins.

I was worried it would just center around the gear gimmick, but it's a great game with a great gimmick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb

Antiquity. I have found a new grail game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb

It isn't even published yet, but my one playtest game of Fire in the Lake was great...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
If the possible answers included: probably, not sure and probably not, I would have answered most of the questions with one of these choices rather than just yes or no. Since those options were not offered, I chose the option closest to my true feelings.

d10-1 Answered No. I might rate one a ten, but it is very unlikely.

d10-2 Answered Yes. All time favorites go in the top ten, unless you have more than ten favorites.

d10-3 Answered Yes. I have not done that yet for all my favorite games, but I plan to do so.

d10-4 Answered Yes. This one is really a probably yes.

d10-5 Answered Didn't know how or possible. I have mixed feelings about liking things on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook and plan to never join.

d10-6 Answered Didn't know how or possible. I don't know what Google+ is. I guess it has similarities to Facebook. I doubt that I will ever join.

d10-7 Answered Yes. I'm still fairly new to BGG. I intend to buy more microbadges as I acquire GG.

d10-8 Answered Yes. I want to let other gamers know I'm up for a game if they happen to come across that information, and I want to let other gamers in my area know I'm up for a game if they looking for opponents.

d10-9 Thurn and Taxis is there. Another, which requires a disclosure, that is likely to be an all time favorite is Kingdom of Solomon. The disclosure is that I have agreed to demonstrate Kingdom of Solomon for Minion Games at the CON for the reward of a free copy. I have received the copy, and I am enjoying the plays of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No

4. Yes

5. No

6. No

7. Yes

8. No (I try to use "Want to play" as more of a "want to try" list.)

9. TurfMaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade may creep into my top 10. We've been playing it a lot and find it absolutely fantastic.

Space Cadets dice duel might also make it, but I haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing tons of games, I've rated with a 10 only four games:

Age of Renaissance, year of production: 1996
Britannia, year of production: 1986
History of the World, year of production: 1991
Puerto Rico, year of production: 2002

Maybe I'm getting old ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Terrell
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As I just discovered this side of boardgaming in 2013 that would be pretty much any of them:

Ticket to Ride
7 Wonders
Carcassonne
Goa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,Yes,Yes,No,No,No,Yes,No.

Closest: The Scepter of Zavandor and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game. Neither going above 9/10. This have been a so-so year in terms of new games played so far. A lot of solid 8/10 games, but not many that even comes close to a 9 or higher. At least I've played more than twice as many (new) games as last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my 'want to play' to organize games that are either 'new to me' that I'm trying hard to get to the table OR that have collected a lot of dust and I want to get it back to the table.

So, my 'all time favorite' won't be 'new to me', nor will it have collected dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Hands down, 7 Wonders. First time I played it this spring (April or May) and it quickly became my top favorite. Up to this point, about 1'000 online games, winning about 4 out of 10, and still not got bored of it.

It's quick, easy, can be as deep as you want it to be. It receives often criticism for its "lack" of player interaction; truth is, there IS, just not direct, but indirect. And that's why it's great for a family game, as it has a low "screwiness" factor, masked in the card drafting mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

I couldn't pick just one. I played both Heroscape and The Resistance for the first time this year.

Really enjoy both and I could see both as becoming all time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite this year has been
Lords of Waterdeep - Group loves it and has hit the table the most
Terra Mystica - Played a couple times and want to explore this more. Need more plays to figure out if has the staying power.
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - Love the wheel and my wife liked it better last time, so it may get more frequent plays
Suburbia - Only played once, but I need to play it again.

Coup, Hanabi, and Love Letter have been big so far for little card games. I don't think I'd rate any of them a 10, but are great for what they are.

I use my "Want to Play" mainly for games I own that haven't hit the table in awhile, so hopefully my 10s don't show up very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a yes to all the BGG related stuff... No for the social media.

My favorite new to me game of the year has been Village. Its in my top 20 and might push for my top ten if I like the expansion as much as I hope I will.

The other new to me that could easily push for top 10 is Caylus as I'm a worker placement nut and its pretty great. Harder to get to the table than Village though so its climbing more slowly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything rated a perfect 10 yet, but I think another year or so of game playing and I probably will. It's a no for the social media stuff and a yes for most of the BGG specific stuff. I'm not a "fan" of anything yet, so maybe I should give that a try.

9. I started playing Age of Steam this year and it is currently tied as my highest ranked game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Almost certainly De Vulgari Eloquentia. It's a design of rare beauty and engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.