8 Posts

Napoleonic 20» Forums » General

Subject: Question about resolving Multihex Battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 d6
Australia
flag msg tools
While trying to learn N20 (with Jena20) I got stuck after the first turn, confused with the multihex battle rules.

The situation is that I moved the two French 3-2 units as indicated below, with the intention to attack the Prussian 2-2 in hex 0705.

How is this battle resolved?

Do the Prussian units in 0605 and 0807 play any compulsory part in this battle? (do I have to attack them after I attack 0705? or do they commulatively add to the total defense combat factor?)

The Prussian unit in 0605 is obviously not adjacent to 0706, so why would they interfere?

Thanks ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Corney
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that any friendly unit that occupies the ZOC of an enemy unit must engage those units in combat.

Your two French units occupy the the ZOC of three Prussian units so all three Prussian units must be engaged in combat.

So you have a choice;

1. Both French units engage the 3 Prussian units in one combat.

2. 1 French unit in combat with 1 Prussian unit with the other French unit in combat with 2 Prussian units.

So to recap the Prussian units in 0605, 0706 and 0807 must all be engaged in combat.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
HMSGannet wrote:

1. Both French units engage the 3 Prussian units in one combat.

2. 1 French unit in combat with 1 Prussian unit with the other French unit in combat with 2 Prussian units.

So to recap the Prussian units in 0605, 0706 and 0807 must all be engaged in combat.

While there is a choice presented for combat, I don't think the two choices you listed represent that choice correctly. A unit can only attack something if it is in its ZOC or vice versa. Since all three Prussian units are not in the ZOC of both French units, your option 1 is not valid. Your option 2, however, is where the real choice resides. You have two choices:

1. French in 0606 attacks 0605 while French in 0706 attacks both 0705 0807.

2. French in 0606 attacks 0605 and 0705 while French in 0706 attacks 0807.

The key rule here is:

The Rules pg6 wrote:
[9.2.2] Multi-Unit Battles: Attacking units in two or more hexes can combine their Combat Strengths in a single Battle providing all of the attacking units are adjacent to all of the defending units. Battles can thus involve multiple attacking and/or defending units.

edit: added rules ref
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas has the combat example correct.
All 3 Prussian units extend their ZoC into the French hexes.The Prussian units in both the woods and the Town(Closwitz) do still have their ZOC extending out of those hexes so all three Prussians must be attacked in some combination as Thomas laid out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R2d6 wrote:
How is this battle resolved?

The key to this situation is understanding how rule [9.1] and [9.1.1] work. Here are the pertinent segments:

"[9.1] All phasing units in an EZOC must make an attack."

"[9.1.1] All your friendly units in an EZOC participate in an attack, and all enemy units in your friendly ZOCs are, themselves, attacked."

So let's look at the example above:

It should be clear that the French V Corps in 0606 must attack the Prussian Left Wing division in 0605 because it's (A) in that Prussian unit's ZOC and (B) that Prussian unit is not in the French VII Corp's ZOC. Similarly, it should be clear that the French VII Corps in 0706 must attack the Prussian Reserve division in 0807 because it's (A) in that Prussian unit's ZOC and (B) that Prussian unit is not in the French V Corp's ZOC. However, somebody on the French side must attack the Prussian Right Wing division in 0705, because it's in both French unit's ZOCs.

This, then, is the crux of the matter: which French unit is going to attack the Prussian Reserve? Again, it (as well as the other two Prussian units) must be attacked, so one of the French units is absolutely going to have to attack two of the Prussians while the other French unit will only have to attack one.

You can't resolve the whole thing as one big (two French versus three Prussian units) attack because, again, the French V Corps has no contact with the Prussian Reserve and the French VII Corps has no contact with the Prussian Left Wing. So you must resolve this as two separate attacks. To resolve it as a combined attack every unit on both sides must be in one another's ZOCs.

So, here are your options:

1) French V Corps attacks the Prussian Left Wing at +0 differential (the Prussians are in the woods, so they receive a +1 defensive terrain bonus to their combat strength of 2), while French VII Corps attacks both the Prussian Right Wing and Reserve at a -2 differential.

2) French V Corps attacks both the Prussian Left and Right Wings at -2 differential, while the French VII Corps attacks the Prussian Reserve at -1 differential (the Prussian Reserve is in a town, so they receive a +1 defensive terrain bonus).

Yeah... neither option is particulaly attractive. It probably would have been wiser for the French player to have advanced his V Corps to 0505 and the VII Corps to 0606. That way V Corps could hit the Prussian Left Wing at +0 and the VII Corps could hit the Right Wing at +1, and the Prussian Reserve could have been ignored entirely.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Lance McMillan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Corney
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.

Don't you just hate it when you realise you interpreted the rules the wrong way.

Maybe we should have Lance on speed dial for those impasse moments late at night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HMSGannet wrote:
Maybe we should have Lance on speed dial for those impasse moments late at night.

Just post your questions here or on CSW -- I try to check them each several times a day. Some might call it dedication, I prefer to think of it as a serious mental illness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 d6
Australia
flag msg tools
Cleared it up completely.

And it does make sense too, if I try to imagine how it might play out IRL.

Yes, I moved the French units without having a clear understanding of the multihex battle rules, that's why they ended up in a silly position. Its all part of the learning process. blush

Thank you all for the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.