Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you chase outlaws at the second action of the Sheriff Office, but fail completely, because you get not match, are you allowed to use Doc Badluck at the end of the round (assuming you do no other action in the same round)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:
If you chase outlaws at the second action of the Sheriff Office, but fail completely, because you get not match, are you allowed to use Doc Badluck at the end of the round (assuming you do no other action in the same round)?

That's a good question that unfortunately gets complicated by the FAQ in the original rulebook.

Rulebook wrote:
If I have the most 10’s and the bank is empty, and I wasn’t able to do anything else during the round, can I go and seeDoc Badluck?
Yes, because you didn’t earn anything during the round.

If you follow that, you should be able to see Doc Badluck. But, what happens if you have the most 9s (or second place) and go panning for gold?

There is a chance of earning nothing when panning, so would that permit a visit to Doc Badluck? (I see you asked that in the forums elsewhere)

I think if you follow the FAQ to the letter, both instances would warrant a visit to Doc Badluck.

My opinion - in both cases you've earned the opportunity to get something. A chance at catching outlaws and a chance of drawing a card. So, you should not be able to visit Doc Badluck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation has always been that if you won a category (e.g. 10's) you could not visit Dr. Badluck. But the FAQ ruling above contradicts my previous understanding. Perhaps the intent now is that if you won a category but didn't get to do anything at all (e.g. because there is no money), you go to Dr. Badluck.

I think the key element to focus on is earning an opportunity to make a choice, or have a chance at winning something. It's the opportunity that you've earned that determines whether you go to Dr. Badluck. Since there is no money in the bank, there is no opportunity to win anything at all (note that with the expansion there may be money in the 2nd place slot, which would negate this whole conversation).

If you win the river but drew a card with 0 nuggets, you won an opportunity to draw a card. If you win the river but there are 0 nuggets or cards, you didn't. If you win the town store and draw cards, you won something. If you win the town store and there are no cards to draw, you didn't. In the example above, you got to chase outlaws, so you won something. No Dr. Badluck. That's how I'll play it for now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"winning" something means getting majority (in the standard game) or second place (with extension).
If you "win" something, you don't go to badluck, even if you really get nothing with this "winning" action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno, does chasing Outlaws alter your dice results permanently for the Town Hall ranking happening jus after or do we need to retain the original results throw ?

This expansion is great (sic. Flavie 7ans) ! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it's permanent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muddy Boots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
it's permanent

That's strange. In the English rule book (at the bottom of page 6), it states: "He then puts his Poker Hand back as it was". Which makes sense, otherwise the new dice results may alter the Town Hall stage, as well as raise questions for the previous stages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muddy Boots wrote:
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
it's permanent

That's strange. In the English rule book (at the bottom of page 6), it states: "He then puts his Poker Hand back as it was". Which makes sense, otherwise the new dice results may alter the Town Hall stage, as well as raise questions for the previous stages.

Right, that's how we play. I think it makes more sense that way..as the more Kings you have the better chance you have of capturing an outlaw...they are still kings...it just determines how many dice you get to try and capture with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.