Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Holdridge
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I got this game as a gift (not really knowing much about the on-line game) and we are getting ready to play for the first time. I couldn't find anywhere in the rulebook a suggestion for which of the 3 overlords to use your first time out.

I was looking for responses from more experienced players about which overlord they feel is easiest to deal with your first time playing. I don't mean easiest to defeat necessarily (although it would be nice to have a chance even w/ the newbie mistakes I'm sure we will make), but easiest to implement. It seems as if each has a special rule about them. The Nefarian has the ability I feel we are most likely to forget to do at the appropriate time. The one with the special event cards (Kel Thuzad) seems easiest to "use," but the events that are added seem pretty hard (based on only reading them).

Just looking for everyone's opinions on which may be best for a 1st-time play, but also would like to see a discussion about how they play in general if anyone has strong opinions one way or the other. I guess what I mean is both the strength of the overlords & if one overlord or another really effects the gameplay. (ie does the searching aspect for Kazzak make it likely to end in PVP?)

Anyway, if it really does not matter & we should just do it randomly, please let me know that too. I do tend to overthink things, but I did want the first play to be an enjoyable experience. First impressions and all that.

Apologies if this has been a much discussed question, but I could not find a lot of discussion on this subject.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend against Nefarian---while he's the easiest to beat, if he happens to move particularly quickly, the game may end with neither side being able to beat him (especially with inexperienced players), which results in a draw, which isn't very satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kel'Thuzzad is probably the best, IMO.

Yes, Thuzzad adds some event cards, but they don't come up that often (I think I've seen one in four games with him... could be just unlucky shuffling)... so they aren't a big deal if you forget to add them. The fact that he stays in one spot makes him the easiest to use, as less upkeep on a first-time run through is not a bad thing.

Nefarian can end the game early, which (as mentioned above) can frustrate some gamers... However, if you are confident that a draw isn't bad, his ability to end the game sooner might be welcome if the game is dragging a little bit. If long games are a problem for your group, you probably shouldn't be playing WoW:tB in the first place, but this is definitely the guys to use.

Also, if you forget to move him, it isn't the end of the world.

Kazzak makes the game longer by having to look for him... and will most likely result in hitting turn 30 w/o defeating him (since new players will not realize how important it is to take some chances and not waste turns). I do not recommend doing the massive PvP battle in the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
If your worried about the 'neferan wins' condition, ignor his move ability.

That would be very reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.