Hide
6 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: AGEOD/Matrix Games Civil War 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Released 10 days ago was http://www.matrixgames.com/products/500/details/Civil.War.II

Anyone try this yet?

I enjoyed the first incarnation and the Birth of America games.

Am tempted to do the buy....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega-tempted as well. Hoping for some good responses here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I couldn't pass it up, since I'm a huge AEGOD fanboy.

Basic gameplay hasn't changed from the first, but many tweaks. Map is much bigger (few offmap boxes out west, for example). They brought in some ideas from Pride of Nations, and both sides now have actions they can play on specific regions; for example the North can play Habeous Corpus on a region to improve loyalty at the expense of 3 VPs; the south can play Copperheads on rural border regions to raise cheap, low quality, units. That's also how region development takes place.

More diplomatic and political options. And so forth.

Given that the first one is something like 8 years old, I appreciate that they revisited and applied stuff they've learned from subsequent titles.

If you enjoyed the first one, you'll enjoy this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Didn't care much for the first one since it blatantly cheated (admittedly, you could say that about most computer games). I might pick up this one, though.

You can adjust how much the computer cheats as a balancing measure basically by adjusting how easy or hard it is to see into adjacent regions to its troops - you could do this in the first one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was in the beta ... I couldn't get it to launch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.