Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week at Board Game Quest we are taking a look at our Top Ten Entry Level War Games. If you've never played a war game before and the thought of spending 8 hours pushing around cardboard chits scares you, then this is the list for you.
We take a look at our favorite games for people that have never tried a war game before. You can see our full list of our top ten beginner war games here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Kind of sad that entry level wargames boils down to 'Richard Borg'.
Not to say that there is anything wrong with his games (Personally me and my GF love playing Commands & Colours; Ancients), but it's a shame that there aren't many more games out there that ease people into the hobby.

Ars Victor, though, looks to be a tremendously good intro-game for kids and adults alike. The rulebook is very simple and there are specially made rules for children. The rules themselves have me tickled (I'm an old miniatures gamer) and I really think Ars Victor will prove to be a very good game, not just a good intro-game.

Sekigahara; the unification of Japan has just been rereleased. It won the Charles S Roberts award 2012. It's fast playing and has a very elegant ruleset. I think it's definitely worth looking into.

I'd also note that Battlelore is now up for a 2nd ed published by Fantasy Flight Games. so potential newcomers to wargaming could look into that, as well as Battlelore 1st ed.

If anyone new to wargames is reading this I'd like to add this:
Wargamers tend to be fanatic about their games, because once you 'see the light' wargames offer a tremendous amount of great gaming experiences. Wargames, abstracts and modern card games tend to be like that. They might look 'steep' to begin with, but the more time you put into them, the more you will appreciate them. The enjoyment ceiling of a good wargame is VERY high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.