I ordered Battle Line from GMT games recently and I wonder
how I should play my first games. I see three different ways
right now, to play the game.

First, you can play like Reiner Knizia intended it for Schotten-Totten:
-Don't play with the elephants, so the maximum number is "9"
-Play with a hand of 6 cards instead of 7
-Claim flags before you lay a card

Second, you can play with the elephant cards, a hand of 7, and you
claim flags after you lay your card for the round.

And finally you can play with the tactic cards or without like in the
standard game of Schotten-Totten.

How do you play it? I'm wondering because usually I find Reiner's games really
tense and I think he is a master of creating tension with simple mechanics.
So I can't really believe, that the new rules could be better an more tense.
But I read here on the geek, that the new rules create more turn angst for some
players.

Your advice is appreciated.

PS: I forgot the fourth way to play the game!
-Play with elephants and a hand of 7
-Play without tactic cards
-Claim flags before you lay your card.

I don't know if anyone plays it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What is the most tense way to play Battle Line/Schotten-
I haven't played any way except for the normal rules. These sound interesting. I doubt I would play without the tactics cards. Knowing when to draw and play them adds a nice tactical twist.

A smaller hand size would make things tougher, but might make for less interesting decisions. And I'm not sure what playing without the 10s would do...

If you're really set on making the game tougher, the best rule seems to be claiming flags before card play. That gives your opponent the chance to react to one of your card plays. This seems like the most unobtrusive and elegant way to make the game more tense. I might try it that way next time, even though I think the game is perfectly fine with the rules as-is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
First games or not, play it the best way: hand of 7, all cards (10 too), claim flags at the end of your turn. Maybe begin without the Tactics cards (I never use them with my wife, she finds them "confusing"), but try to use them as soon as possible!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Reynolds
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with both set of rules and greatly prefer the original Schotten Totten rules. The main reason is probably having to claim prior to playing a card. My advice is to play both ways a few times and figure out what suits you best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The most tense way is to play it play it while suspended above a pool of boiling lava. Then, as each person loses, they're dumped into the lava, to suffer a horrible firery death. Eventually, only one person is left, and then they're dropped into the lava as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, I haven't looked into that variant yet.

We prefer to play where when you lose a flag your opponent cuts off a piece of your finger. I've been playing it a lot lately and it let me tell you it is really intense.

This message took me 4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Jones
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
Funny,

We use the "suspended over a pool" variant as well. But we have introduced a variable ending to spice things up. Sometimes, its a fiery lava death, sometimes its sharks with frickin' laser beams. If you're really unlucky there's no water in the pool; instead its full of all the board games you ever wanted--sealed in impenetrable shrink wrap...the screaming is horrible.

Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
Braunschweig / City of Lions
flag msg tools
mbmb
UserX wrote:
Funny,

We use the "suspended over a pool" variant as well. But we have introduced a variable ending to spice things up. Sometimes, its a fiery lava death, sometimes its sharks with frickin' laser beams. If you're really unlucky there's no water in the pool; instead its full of all the board games you ever wanted--sealed in impenetrable shrink wrap...the screaming is horrible.

Allen

You guys are just kiddin'? Or ain't 'ya?

Anyway, thanks for your comments so far. I never played the game so far, but I can imagine, that maybe to claim the Flag before you play a card will add some tension, because of the possibility for the other player to discard a useless card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried anything but the standard Battle Line rules, but under item 34 on my recent GeekList Alan Kaiser strongly recommends the Schotten Totten rules, specifically mentioning the great tension they provide.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of the few who appears to play your 4th version...

Play with elephants and a hand of 7

I have played with tactics cards and they are fine but, I feel the tension of a 'pure' hand where no tactics cards can get you off the hook on a bad position is by far the most tense way to play the game.

However tension can be increased if you do play the with Tactics cards and following the play of just one card your opponent flatly refuses to play Any tactics cards whatsoever...especially nasty if you have stocked your hand with now all but useless cards!!

Which ever way you play it’s a fine game that warrants replay after replay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hatricvs wrote:

Thanks for your comment!
Have you tried to play with 6 cards and values up to 9?
What would you say is better when playing with 10s and 7 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without tactics cards, how does it change claiming before or after your turn?

If you have an unbeatable three card combo down at the end of your turn, what could change before your next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lassonde
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
^^ Tactic cards could change something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoove_de wrote:

Have you tried to play with 6 cards and values up to 9?
What would you say is better when playing with 10s and 7 cards?

I've played this with both the standard Battleline rules with tactics cards and up to 10 in each suite. I've also played with the standard Schotten Totten rules as well (no tactics cards and only up to 9). I'm not sure about when to pick up the stones, I forget which I played with in each version now. Anyway, I much prefer the standard Schotten Totten rules if you want a tense game. The tactics cards in particular are too random and allow a player to play a card without providing any information to the opponent. The tension in this game is all about limiting the information you provide to your opponent each turn. With the tactics cards you can get around that. Sure they do some neat things but it makes for a very different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game much like I play any game with my family.
With Battle Line, every time you claim a flag, you tell a variation of The Aristocrats joke, and your opponent must act out every word of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I refuse to play unless I can wager my first-born. Unfortunately I've won each time and still have him. devil

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line has a very devoted following among my friends at work. I have played this game about 100 times and they have played it significantly more than I have. We played most of last year using the 7 cards, values 1-10, tactics cards and claim after card play standard Battle Line rules. This year they read the "advanced rules" variant in the Battle Line ruleset and now exclusively play that variant in which there are 7 cards, values 1-10, tactics cards and claims are made before a card is played. I don't have a preference but my friends greatly prefer the new version. It significantly alters the value of the tactics cards as Deserter and Traitor become more powerful when one can only capture a flag after their opponents' move.

Whatever version you choose should provide you with some excellent hours of gaming. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hatricvs wrote:

I have played with tactics cards and they are fine but, I feel the tension of a 'pure' hand where no tactics cards can get you off the hook on a bad position is by far the most tense way to play the game.

I've played some games the same way and also some games with 6 cards and numbers only
up to 9. I'm still not sure, if keeping the 10's in the game changes something. It's
still tense, but sometimes the game seems slower to me as when only values up to 9 are in the game. Claiming the flag before you lay your card is the way I like better,
because it gives your opponent the chance to alter his play a bit by discarding an
unwanted card. Sometimes when you are very lucky with the card draw the game would end too soon, if I could already claim it after I laid my card. It is indeed a fun and very clever game. Explained the game to my girlfriend last night and she is already beating me. 4 games played, lost 3 cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.