Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I participated in another OP1 event. This one had 7 people and required a purchase of a ship to be used in your fleet for the night. I bought the RIS Apnex. Here's the 100 point build I took:

Kraxon (26)
Martok (5+1)
Counter Attack (3+1)
Konmel (4+1)

IKS Negh'Var (30)
Gul Danar (2+1)
Drex (4+1)

RIS Apnex (14)
Romulan (0)
Interphase Generator (3)

Elite Attack Die (5)

Round 1:
Went up against a 3 ship Klingon build with 2x Vor'Cha class and 1x D7. By all rights I should not have won this game, but indeed luck played a HUGE factor in it. (I found a shiny heads-up penny right beforehand). My guys weren't hitting hard against cloaked Klingons being flown well, I did manage to get the Apnex ability off and we both misread it - thinking that ALL ships were limited to 1 maneuvers the rest of the game. That part didn't play all that much into what went down. My Apnex had 1 damage left on its hull before dead, and I scooted slowly to DS9. My opponent came after, I beamed aboard, he ran through a minefield. Had he chosen a 2 turn instead of a 2 bank I probably would have lost. He hit the minefield and took 3 hits and a crit to his hull. DS9 managed to do the last point of damage to him for the win. I'm pretty sure he will never make the wrong maneuver again! And we both had concluded that the misread on the Apnex ability didn't affect the game. I was 1-0

Round 2:
Was against a federation build, all 3 named ships and a ton of crew. She dropped off 3 guys on DS9 to start out while my iron fist of a Klingon cannon took out the other two ships with ease. The Kraxon/Counter attack ability had to be verified, and rightfully so. That combo is pretty broken I think. Anyway, 3rd ship destroyed and she had taken down my Apnex (she got to DS9 first, it went into cloak and evade mode as much as possible) 2-0

Round 3:
You would have thought I made a pact with the devil on this round. Mostly federation player, Riker on the Enterprise D was the last man standing in this army of his. My Klingon ship was one shotting people. Disabling shields then hitting HARD with Drex and the elite attack die, the captain barely having to re-roll blanks. My opponent was as shocked as I was with how hard the IKS was hitting - hits and crits galore were sprinkled across 5 and 6 dice. He had gone after the Kraxon first and nailed all my shields first combat with a ship outside my firing arc (flanked by Riker!). Counter attack never once went off, nor did it ever have the chance. I had also dropped off the Romulan captain on DS9 before he ended up taking down my Apnex. The klingons finished off that pesky Riker and I went 3-0!

I'm beginning to think that Counter attack is very undercosted at 3 points, it was the difference in my first two games by a longshot and essentially an extra ships worth of attacks. Very cheap! But with the Kraxon its just nasty. The Interphase generator is another upgrade I'm thinking is going to be nutty in multiples. Think of a jousting match between ships, you can do one massive assault and book it out of there and swing around again. And with that one card, you can almost negate their heavy hitter for a round. I like it.

I invited the other players to the OP Event I'm running this coming Saturday at a different store, hopefully they come out. I think if there's an odd number I'm going to have a Valdore/Enterprise D build ready with 2 counter attacks for the bye round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
I'm beginning to think that Counter attack is very undercosted at 3 points, it was the difference in my first two games by a longshot and essentially an extra ships worth of attacks. Very cheap! But with the Kraxon its just nasty.

Exactly what I've said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Albright
msg tools
sounds awesome, and i also believe counter attack is underutilized

but you know it can only go off once per round? (although the ship being hit can choose which attack it responds too)

it makes it still awesome, and sneaky with the kraxon, but a little more controlled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigrayalbright wrote:
sounds awesome, and i also believe counter attack is underutilized

but you know it can only go off once per round? (although the ship being hit can choose which attack it responds too)

it makes it still awesome, and sneaky with the kraxon, but a little more controlled.

Yes, it only went off once per round. But depending on range an extra 4 or 5 dice is always pretty good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.