Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
102 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Any interest in a "Learn to play the game" video series for heavier games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been kicking around the idea of making a "Learn to play the game" series of videos a couple of months now.

For me, I feel like this is something that is lacking in our hobby. I mean, there are tons of reviewers out there and very few folks who, once you've decided to buy the game, help you learn it.

I don't know about y'all, but I very much prefer to have someone teach me the game first, then I can go through the rulebook after and, being familiar with the game now, can clear up anything that didn't seem right or whatnot.

That said, before we spend the money on a video camera and figuring out how best to produce these, I wanted to see if there was any interest in this type of thing. I see that Rodney Smith does this, but it seems he's more focused on family games. I was more leaning towards games such as: Dominant Species, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, Le Havre, Vinhos, etc.

So, I'd appreciate some feedback in letting me know if this is something that people would like or that it's unnecessary/unwanted/already done.

Thanks!

eta:

Well *gulp*...

Here is the geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always interested in these kinds of videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rios
United States
Long Valley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely watch this series, my friends and are getting into the heavier games now and don't usually find good walkthroughs for those type of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love it. Seems there is a flood of reviews lately but no attention on teaching people the game. It's the harder games where I struggle digesting the rules so videos are mandatory. Check out Ricky Royal's box of delight videos. I think they are some of the best around and he covers some heavier games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some others, Ricky Royal comes to mind, who focus on more complex/heavier games. That doesn't mean there isn't room for you! I say the more the merrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
More videos on board games is always a good thing thumbsup

I mainly watch Rahdo's runthroughs since he covers a lot of the same kinds of games you mentioned above (Euros and the occasional fantasy-themed game). It helps that he actually plays the game while explaining what's going on, rather than drone on about how to play something. If you decided to do this though, I'd be happy to check out your videos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been kicking the idea around for a couple months as well, and likewise, just haven't invested the resources into this, yet. I've talked to other people also interested in this idea, so I think it's a good idea and will be received well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:

I mainly watch Rahdo's runthroughs since he covers a lot of the same kinds of games you mentioned above (Euros and the occasional fantasy-themed game). It helps that he actually plays the game while explaining what's going on, rather than drone on about how to play something. If you decided to do this though, I'd be happy to check out your videos

Too bad he is torturous to watch; he talks to fast, is indecisive with his moves and makes lots of mistakes. It's also weird he talks in third person for his wife. I love Rodney and Ricky's approach. Good luck to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

Too bad he is torturous to watch; he talks to fast, is indecisive with his moves and makes lots of mistakes. It's also weird he talks in third person for his wife. I love Rodney and Ricky's approach. Good luck to you

I agree it takes alot of patience to watch a Rhado runthrough. When he goes to reshuffle a deck, I'm yelling at the TV, "Edit! Edit! In the name of all that is good, edit!"

But in fairness, I've known exactly whether or not a game was for me by watching them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I think he's hilarious, and love the frantic nature of his videos. He does make lots of mistakes, though, so I didn't even think of him as someone you could "learn to play" from. He gives a wonderful idea of how the game flows, and what kinds of decisions you make on your turn, but not a good sense of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

To each their own. I was just suggesting someone for the OP to check out if he hadn't already. I personally don't care for Rodney's videos, but I'd still rather support him and the others who make video reviews for board games than insult them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

To each their own. I was just suggesting someone for the OP to check out if he hadn't already. I personally don't care for Rodney's videos, but I'd still rather support him and the others who make video reviews for board games than insult them.

I was just pointing out things the o.p. can avoid. I appreciate that Rhado makes videos I just think he needs to take a Xanax before hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
eapeas wrote:
I've been kicking around the idea of making a "Learn to play the game" series of videos a couple of months now.

For me, I feel like this is something that is lacking in our hobby. I mean, there are tons of reviewers out there and very few folks who, once you've decided to buy the game, help you learn it.

I don't know about y'all, but I very much prefer to have someone teach me the game first, then I can go through the rulebook after and, being familiar with the game now, can clear up anything that didn't seem right or whatnot.

That said, before we spend the money on a video camera and figuring out how best to produce these, I wanted to see if there was any interest in this type of thing. I see that Rodney Smith does this, but it seems he's more focused on family games. I was more leaning towards games such as: Dominant Species, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, Le Havre, Vinhos, etc.

So, I'd appreciate some feedback in letting me know if this is something that people would like or that it's unnecessary/unwanted/already done.

Thanks!

Paul Springer (UFBRT) used to do an awesome job of boiling some of these complex games down into 5 minutes. I really appreciated the 5 minute overview of some of the more complex games other than they made some games seem more approachable than they really were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about the idea of doing a "two turn or round" series where me and a few people teach the game with commentary through a few turns of the game. If anyone wants to steal this idea, go for it. It's not logistically possible for me to do for a few years probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!

It would be great to have "how to play" videos available for the times when you are planning on getting a group of players together to play a new game. If everyone watches the video beforehand it really can cut down on the rules explanation when the group actually sits down at the table. That would take a lot of the burden from those of us that find ourselves continually teaching new games to new players.

It would be nice if you could keep the videos short - as short as possible - to avoid turning people off. Maybe split each game into two videos; the first covering the basics and the how to's. Then a second to cover some of the more interesting bits and strategies.

Good Luck!
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized no one covers the FAQ when doing how to videos. Would be nice to see some examples of commonly confused and overlooked rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a big thumbs up for how-to-play-heavier-games. Unfortunately I already know all the ones you suggested, but I know that watching videos on how to play does help me a lot.

I'm a big fan of Radho, but unfortunately he plays mostly two player games (or worse two-player variants) and he does make his fair share of errors.

Please post a link in this thread when you finally get something set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night my game group played Keyflower for the first time. I attempted to learn the game beforehand by reading the rulebook and I found it almost impenetrable. Thankfully I found two helpful videos on YouTube (~30min and ~45min FYI).
I also used YouTube videos to figure out Race for the Galaxy a while back. There is a lot of iconography that is better explained in video.
A related note: I won't back a Kickstarter boardgame unless it has a gameplay video.
A slightly less related note: I didn't really "get" Tigris & Euphrates until I had played it on the iPad several times (I understood the rules, just couldn't find the fun). I think a gameplay video would have helped there.

So, my short answer is yes, I appreciate "Learn to play" videos, but only for certain types of games (and heavier ones fit the bill).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Playoffs Baby! Playoffs! F--n Right!
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:

I don't mind being the teacher for most of the games I play, but man, it is awfully nice to be taught sometimes! I'd love to see what you can produce.

If you have a knack for teaching complex games, then I think this would be a great undertaking. As you have pointed out, we already see a lot of review videos and they are a welcome resource when trying to evaluate purchases. Instructional videos are relatively rare, though, and well executed tutorials even rarer. I think I might actually prefer instructional videos to reviews as the former really help to get into the meat of a game. Rodney has done a wonderful job with his series and he has helped my family get a number of titles to the table more quickly than had they had to wait for me to finish a complete delve into a rulebook. It would be nice for someone to take on the challenge for more complex titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Definitely!!

Make it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it sounds like there is interest. I'm going to take a look at Ricky's and probably get this started in October. The missus and I both love the UFBRT series. Those are fantastic! But what I'm looking to do is more just straight teaching viewers how to play the game. The production quality probably won't be great, though, since I've never done anything like this before.

It'll be fun to give it a go and see how things turn out and if folks like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citizen Andrew
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, am a Rahdo fan, but sometimes different approaches to explaining and/or playing through a game can help solidify whether or not a purchase is worth it.

I watched a review of Keyflower with a little bit of gameplay involved and though I didn't dislike it, it didn't coerce me to keep it on my wishlist. Once I watched Rahdo playthrough a two-player match, I knew it was a good game for the household.

I don't think it hurts to have plenty of reviewers and such in the community. It just translates into more resources (board game pun!) for the rest of us to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally always opt to read the rules, as my particular attention span makes it hard to follow long, dry videos. (Let's face it, it's hard to make rules exciting.) If I get distracted while I read, I can always reread the paragraph or go back and reference earlier paragraphs with ease, a process which is a bit harder to do with videos.

That said, I have used videos before as a refresher for games where I've already read the rules. For instance, UndeadViking tends to go through the rules in detail in the games he reviews, and I've used his Dominant Species review to remind myself of a portion of the rules much more quickly than the rulebook would have allowed.

With that in mind, I highly suggest both great detail (for first time learners) and something briefer, for reminders. I don't know if that would be in the same video or multiple, but I think it would give your project more utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

I was just pointing out things the o.p. can avoid. I appreciate that Rhado makes videos I just think he needs to take a Xanax before hand.

It's funny you say that because I feel exactly the opposite. I love how fast Rahdo talks and I find him easy to follow. Ricky's videos are so slow I want to yell at him a few minutes in to hurry up! I understand why people like Ricky since he is so detailed and precise but his videos do me no good since I can't pay attention to them.
I would prefer someone who talked faster and went over everything at a faster pace.
So to each there own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.