Subject: Is there any difference between mage wars and summoner wars??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hallo!
New to the board and gaming in general, but have been watching a lot of videos and reading up on games that interest me.

This might have been asked before, and my apologies if so, but are there any real differences between mage wars and summoner wars???

Looking at the plays they look rather similar except that mage wars has a book (and better looking cards) but otherwise they have boards and walls, etc.

Just interested in a comparison between the two.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume they are totally unrelated games in terms of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup chalk and cheese - though the themes may sound somewhat similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are the differences too large or numerous to get into on a thread like this? Or are they so obvious I am just being stupid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/865415/water-and-alcohol-a-c...

Here's the best comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
This was something that came up a lot when Mage Wars hit the scene.

Try looking in this thread: This vs Mage Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars is much more complex, and tends to play a much longer game. It also focuses on 'deck' building, with a large number of decks for a small number of mages (4 mages - many decks, or 6 with the expansion).

Summoner Wars is a 20-40 minute game, with a little customization but largely pre-built decks. It has a large number of mages, each with a small pool of decks.

Both focus on resource management to cast, the tactical positioning of Creatures, and strategic use of direct-effect spells, but for Mage Wars creatures are less central than Summoner Wars.

Both are great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the links!!! I figured there must be some somewhere! Yay more reading! I swear I never manage to get off this website. Always find one more thread to read!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmetically, Mage Wars looks like a polished ripoff of Summoner Wars, but anyone who's played both games will swear they're very dissimilar.

Summoner Wars is a shorter game that prioritizes hand management of random draws, and finely-balanced decks with multiple copies of fairly constrained card varieties. It has an almost fantasy chess feel to it.

Mage Wars seems more like a CCG/LCG where you aren't subject to random draws, so your strategy is only impacted by your opposition.

I prefer Summoner Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get started in summoner wars for far less money, give it a try and then if you don't love it, it only cost you $16 and you could get mage wars as well.
Mage wars is $38 so it would be best to try SW first.
But I am sure you will love SW.
Summoner wars:http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=24212
Mage wars:http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=24189
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both, but SW all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.