Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious whether other users who rate games encode information other than the obvious. I have two examples!

- I use the decimal point to indicate how stable I think the rating is for me. If I think a game is an 8 after only a play or two, I'll rate it either 7.9 (if I mean "it's an 8, but that could go down") or 8.1 ("it's an 8, but that could go up"). If I'm *really* unsure, I'll use 7.8 or 8.2.

- I noticed a user who appeared to have rated everything in their wishlist a 4. Admittedly, I don't know what's going on there, but I'm guessing they wanted wishlist games to show up under 'rated' but near the bottom? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm curious how common this is, and what other information people are putting into ratings. (I imagine some people will be appalled by the very idea, and I'd rather not see anyone picking fights over it in the comments, but I guess that's not up to me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to use decimals just for my 9s and above, so that my favorites would be in more specific order.

I wouldn't worry about people getting upset over whatever system you use to rate. *Most* people probably understand that while BGG ratings can be useful to an extent, they don't really say anything definitively.

Your 8 is different from my 8, different from my friend's 8, etc. Even if we all religiously use the BGG suggestions for ratings (which is based on "how much do *I* want to keep playing this game") - even that is ultimately subjective.

Rate what your heart tells you to, and use whatever bar you like.

But it's a good question, and one that's sure to give a wide range of answers.

Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to comment on all the games I rate. I even went back and added comments for games that I had rated before I started commenting. But there are still some unmemorable, middling games from the pre-comment era that still don't have comments. I rate them 4.999 or 5.999, so that if I ever play them again, I can see that they need a comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I do good to put a number on mine. And the majority seem to be 7s, because I'll play almost anything, really. Any number that's not a 7 indicates extreme enthusiasm, or boredom or "OK, if you REALLY want to play that..." Anything below 6 is really pretty bad for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
Interesting. I do good to put a number on mine. And the majority seem to be 7s, because I'll play almost anything, really. Any number that's not a 7 indicates extreme enthusiasm, or boredom or "OK, if you REALLY want to play that..." Anything below 6 is really pretty bad for me.

I use a similar method. Probably goes back to me school days where 70% is a C grade, and technically passable. So everything starts at 7 and either gets bonus or negative points that take it above or belong the passing grade. I'll also often use decimals to make sure a game I like more than another, but deserves roughly the same grade, stays a notch above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a .5 on occasion to differentiate between rated games of 7 that I like more than other rated 7 games, but not as much as rated 8 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to rely on decimal points to reflect games that IMO hover between two round-numbered ratings, but have moved away from that system since I realized that BGG rounds up all decimal-point ratings such that a 9.1 rating is the same as a 10 rating (visually at least). I now stick to round numbers in all of my ratings, and also as a way to keep things simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First number is how much I like it after the decimal point how much girls like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.