Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Event cards that don't make sense rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim OConnor
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing our first game last night. An event card was drawn that caused our non existent roof or palisade to become damaged (-1). Fine...we all take 1 wound.

But, the action part of that card was "Repair" which, for 1 worker and 1 wood allowed us to repair it (+1). If we didn't do this and it fell off the board, it got even weaker (another -1).

So, were we allowed to 'repair' the non existent roof? This seemed like a huge benefit as it lowered the cost from 3 fur/4 wood to a single wood and a guaranteed success with 1 worker! (we were in a natural shelter tile)

I'm sure there are other cards that wont make sense at a certain point in the game. How do you handle these?

I think we should have not been able to take the repair action. But I also think the triggered event of a weaker roof shouldn't have done anything later if we did build a roof before it was resolved since we never had a 'weaker roof' to begin with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
so it's a case of "thematics or semantics"

I'd choose thematics for this game, meaning you cannot repair it for the reduced cost as there was nothing but you'd ignore the other part as well when it falls of the board.
No idea about official ruling but isn't there a faq somewhere? I'll check that too.

We did a "thematic thing" too with the cookpot and the fire allowing us to put the pot on the fire and thus cummulating the +health per food.
Not sure if that's allowed but it makes sense to me.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the "Cut head" card.
You cut your head, take 1 wound.

Turns out the head is not that crucial for survival after all
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aren't you supposed to put some token on the character to indicate the headwound? I don't recall how that works and I think I forgot about that alltogether at play yesterday. whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
aren't you supposed to put some token on the character to indicate the headwound? I don't recall how that works and I think I forgot about that alltogether at play yesterday. whistle


Yeah, something along those line.
But i really like the card. We made so much fun when someone drew it the first time. Ah..good time with a good game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:
I really like the "Cut head" card.
You cut your head, take 1 wound.

Turns out the head is not that crucial for survival after all

It says "Cut Head", not "Cut Head Off". I've cut my head before, and I still have a head.

But back on topic. For the roof/palisade event, you could explain it away by saying the debris left behind after the event (that caused your injuries) can now be used to make one roof/palisade level cheaper than normal. If you don't use it quickly, however, the event will happen again and you'll take more wounds. The debris could be from a tree, fallen rocks, etc.

Regardless, per the rules, you should either deal with the threat, or it will ultimately affect you.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
KingofTown wrote:
We were playing our first game last night. An event card was drawn that caused our non existent roof or palisade to become damaged (-1). Fine...we all take 1 wound.

But, the action part of that card was "Repair" which, for 1 worker and 1 wood allowed us to repair it (+1). If we didn't do this and it fell off the board, it got even weaker (another -1).

So, were we allowed to 'repair' the non existent roof? This seemed like a huge benefit as it lowered the cost from 3 fur/4 wood to a single wood and a guaranteed success with 1 worker! (we were in a natural shelter tile)

I'm sure there are other cards that wont make sense at a certain point in the game. How do you handle these?

I think we should have not been able to take the repair action. But I also think the triggered event of a weaker roof shouldn't have done anything later if we did build a roof before it was resolved since we never had a 'weaker roof' to begin with.


If this card is the one I think ("Disaster" ?), it says that you can only gain back the level of roof/palissade you just lost because of this event - so if you lost none and took a wound, you can't gain a free roof/palissade by doing the action ( at least, it says so in the french version of the card).
However, it is still a threat action : you don't gain the benefit or roof/palissade repairs, BUT you can discard the card and avoid further loss/wound.

Thematically : the card says a strong wind destroyed part of your camp. Even if you don't have roof or palissade, your basic shelter or camp is badly damaged, and menacing to fall apart. Or maybe the trees you use as cover are damaged and risk falling on you. So you send your worker to repair the shelter or stabilize the threatening trees/rockslide/whatever - or to move the camp a few hundred yards in a safer place.
If you had a roof or palissade, the roof has been blown away, but not reduced to pieces, you just have to put it back together.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.