flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How many Objective Sets do you use?
  10 11 12 13 14 15 16+
Objective Sets:
      131 answers
Poll created by shnar

It seems like I use around 12 or 13 Sets whenever I build a deck, but whenever I see deck builds posted here, it's exactly 10 sets. I was wondering if everyone does the same, builds only 10 Sets and plays with that, or if they tend to have a few extra sets in their deck.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but aren't too many objective sets ALWAYS too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
trim the excess, only ever use 10 objectives, and increase the chances of getting the cards you need, as opposed to the cards you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 is already probably too many, but the game won't let you play with less (outside of the Core decks anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 is the only correct answer :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with any card game, the minimum deck size is the best deck size.* If you're going over ten, it's time for that (sometimes agonizing) choice of which sets get cut. Not all cards are created equal, so there's always a "lesser" set in the mix that's occupying space and lessening your chance of drawing into better stuff.

*Exception: There are gimmicky decks in some card games where deck size is a win condition, such as Magic's Battle of Wits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, well as a followup, when you can put 2 Sets of the same type in, do you? Or do you sometimes only put 1 in of this or that set?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Actually, in the Decipher LotR CCG, playing a 60 card deck was tantamount to suicide. The minimum deck size was 60, but virtually everyone played 70-84.

Star Wars' similar draw mechanic implies that hitting 11 objective sets may not be the end of the world, but I haven't tested going 10+ yet. As an ex-Magic player, I always play minimum. Almost always works best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing competitively you always want the least amount of cards. If you could sculpt your deck perfectly you would get your perfect draw each game. to do this you would need to cut your deck down to the minimum number of cards needed to win the game. Anything above that minimum makes your deck less powerful. Since the game requires you have a 10 pods than you should always play at that minimum. Objectively, any extra pod you add to the deck would be less effective than all the other sets in your decks and should be omitted.

You want to draw your most powerful cards anything you add to the deck gives you less percentage chance of drawing the card you want each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most blokes play at ten. You're on ten with your deck... Where can you go from there? What we do is, if you need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? Eleven, exactly.

Edits: jeez, typos much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are barely any tutor cards to get the cards you need and there's no threat of decking out so I don't really see any reason for more than 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Actually, in the Decipher LotR CCG, playing a 60 card deck was tantamount to suicide. The minimum deck size was 60, but virtually everyone played 70-84.

Must have been later days, because I definitely ran Fellowship block Rainbow Fellowship with Nazgul and I absolutely kept to the minimum deck size, as did most everyone else. I wanted to draw my good stuff as often and quickly as possible.

Now Decipher's Star Wars CCG...dude, I would've played a 200 card deck...if only they would have let me.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Huh. I started playing just before.. The third set. By then, decks were minimum 70 cards. Usually 80, because Moria was so ridiculously overpowered and you needed a huge discard pile.

Never played the SW CCG sadly. Sounded good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, Lord of the Rings was definitely a weird case. I would say for Fellowship block 60-64 was pretty standard for non-Moria and 72+ for Moria, though thin Moria decks could work, too. Realms of the Elf Lords was definitely when Moria was biggest.

It was a lot closer call because good hands tended to up your cycling, which led to more good hands. So, one game you might see thirty cards, then the next you'd see sixty. And of course how much twilight your opponent produced was important, too. And card-draw or self-discard was a factor.

When FFG did the gradual reveal of SW mechanics, at one point I was inferring from the marketing fluff that you had to play ten different agenda, and you could only double up by going over ten. Wouldn't really work with ten, but I think it would've been a cool idea with seven or eight as the min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Paul G wrote:

Must have been later days, because I definitely ran Fellowship block Rainbow Fellowship with Nazgul and I absolutely kept to the minimum deck size, as did most everyone else. I wanted to draw my good stuff as often and quickly as possible.

Now Decipher's Star Wars CCG...dude, I would've played a 200 card deck...if only they would have let me.

laugh

Yeah, that meshes with what I remember from Star Trek, 75 card decks were the norm (before Second Edition). Hell, Borg decks got nicknamed cubes because they tended to run 120 cards to start. But LotR? I got out after Mt Doom, but my memory was that you always wanted to keep your deck as small and tight as possible.

As for the Star Wars LCG, it's rare, there are a few 12 objective decks I'd run, but that's mostly out of nostalgia for the Decipher game. I keep competitive decks to 10 sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically play with ten, but I've created decks with as many as 13 before...my son has included 14 before. For me, when I've played with more sets, I've found it increased variety and intrigue, but at the cost of not always getting those absolute "must" cards (i.e. Palpatine).

And I'm ok with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Hm, well as a followup, when you can put 2 Sets of the same type in, do you? Or do you sometimes only put 1 in of this or that set?

90% of the time when I add an objective set, I want two of them if I'm allowed. There are a few exceptions:

1) If I'm dead set on a 7/3 faction split (the guaranteed resource matching), there's an odd number between factions, so my last objective per affiliation will be a one-of, even if it isn't limited.

2) If that particular pod has a noticeable imbalance in some way, I might just run one of it. The new Endless Reserves is probably not something I'd want to double on, just because of how easily ten copies of that event could end up clogging my hand. Sometimes I'll only run a single copy of Message From Beyond since it doesn't come with any units.

But for the most part, if I can run two, I'm running two. My odds of seeing the cards I want go up and if I do draw a second copy of a unique it's easy to cycle with an edge battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
There are rare exceptions but almost always, you want the minimum deck size possible so that you have the greatest chance of drawing the cards you need.

I suspect the multiplayer rules (at least for the LS scenario deck) will have restrictions on maximum deck size since LS wins when all the DS players run out of cards.

There might eventually be a very specific deck archetype that gains an advantage from having a large deck but there isn't anything like that right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need a deck that draws a lot of cards during the whole game for any need to go over 10 objectives. I don't have a single deck at this moment that decks out at this moment, so anything bigger than 10 is pure delusion. When I one day manage to make a deck that burns the deck trough during normal game, I will make it a little bit bigger :-)
Huge card draw is allways one way of winning cards games so maybe in the future it is possible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that your cards won't be unusable, it's that you're diluting your card pool.

There's nothing inherently wrong with including more than 10, but when you do, realize that you are affecting your odds. If I need a clinch Force Lightning or Rebel Assault, it's better to improve my odds of drawing into it by reducing variance where I can (I do this by including more copies of the card and working as few other objectives in my deck as I can). While Home One could be eliminated or focused down, it still beats drawing into it rather than extraneous X-Wings or Y-Wings I may have inflated my deck with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
My DS deck is currently experimenting with running 11. The 11th Set is the Vast Resources set. I've only run about 5 or 6 games so far with it and the jury is still out. I haven't had the problem of the 'resource' cards clogging my hand. I've only ever seen 2 in my hand once. I know it waters down the consistency of my deck, but saving that one resource cost has come in handy on a few occassions. I just don't know if it's improved my win/loss ratio yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Natzke
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Using 11 is fine. If your opponent has the same amount as you it really doesn't matter unless you're up to like 12. No I don't have draw issues. No I don't live anywhere FFG or tournament support cares about so competing with the best deck of all time doesn't happen. I own about 1/2 of the cards in my ""meta"", and if I did happen to find myself in a very important game I could simply remove one objective set. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just funny as it might seem, that if I build a deck I like for each side with say 2 core and 2 EoD, then I'm going to use 120 cards out of 198 cards! Only a quarter! That's just a waste...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.