Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may seem like a strange match-up or choice to make, but both of these game are 'top of my radar' and are options for end-of-year presents...

Lords of Waterdeep
I do not have many worker-placement games, so this could be interesting. Looks pretty and it also seems easy to learn; which is a plus both for family and my not-too-frequent games group. Not sure about its longevity, but I suppose that the expansions coming out will help with that.

Robinson Crusoe
I also do not really have any co-op games, so again this looks really interesting. The learning curve seem steep, and the fact that its so easy to lose, seems to discourage casual play - so not so good for my games group. On the other hand, if I could pull my family into it, I think it might become our "go to" game. The longevity seems good, and DIY also looks possible (I have a weakness for making game variants...). However, RC:AotCI ( gulp ) is very expensive. For that same price I could get LoW plus some other good game...

Anyone want to toss in any pro/anti remarks to help me make up my mind??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
I would go with LoW if I were you. RC is a little heavier and longer.
If you could swing it, I would advise you to go LoW and Pandemic to get both a worker placement and coop game (a fantastic one at that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flip a coin...really any rationalization for a recommendation comes down to perspectives...so flip a coin. If you like Crusoe, you will forget about the money in less than a few months. Waterdeep may not be liked by some snobs simply because it is cool to bash the game. However, I consider myself a gaming snob and I think it is a great light intro to worker placement and once you get past the pasted on theme I find it rather enjoyable. I really like the expansion to the game and I feel like Waterdeep was one of those releases that was actually play tested and well vetted. Since you haven't really given us any reasons why you might hate either game, once again flip a coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and strongly prefer Robinson Crusoe. Waterdeep is just not that interesting. Go out, get guys, turn in cards, yadda yadda. Robinson Crusoe, on the other hand, is an extremely tight game that creates a sense of story and continuity. It really is different than any other game I have. That said, you have to like co-ops. Because at the end of the game, if you win, you look around each other and say, "We won!" and take whatever meaning you do out of that. Playing it, though, is great.

Price-wise, I would think about LoW plus the price of the expansion if you're thinking of getting it plus the price of DnDeeples. Really, the strongest reason I have to suggest getting Waterdeep is so that you can buy DnDeeples to use with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson is great solo but there are better games to choose from for co-op such as Ghost Stories. So you need to decide what will get played more a game by yourself or one with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I own neither but if I had to make the call I'd take Lords of Waterdeep over Robinson Crusoe.

For me, I've seen the former played on Tabletop, and it looked like they enjoyed themselves. Where as the latter I've only seen numerous complaints about missing / wrong language parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the demand for Robinson Crusoe, I would expect another printing, after which the price should drop significantly. As for LoW, I'm sure it's a decent game, but it doesn't "pop" for me, although I can see how it would appeal to people who like the D&D theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartomancer wrote:
I own neither but if I had to make the call I'd take Lords of Waterdeep over Robinson Crusoe.

For me, I've seen the former played on Tabletop, and it looked like they enjoyed themselves. Where as the latter I've only seen numerous complaints about missing / wrong language parts.

The expansion for LoW has a bunch of issues as well, it's no reflection on the quality of the game play itself. Regardless these two games are apples to pickup trucks in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apenheul
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Lords of Waterdeep but I do own Robinson Crusoe (which is pretty much a cooperative worker placement game). Honestly I don't think RC is too difficult, at least with my group we only lose about half the time. The game's indeed a bit complex and puzzly but the theme's so well integrated in the game's mechanics that even if some people don't really understand the tactical and strategic decision-making it could still be fun to be part of the experience and just follow the other players. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that explain the game really well, just look up "A lonesome Gamer plays Robinson Crusoe".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
I own both games and for me there is no contest:
Robinson Crusoe is leap years ahead of Waterdeep in everyway except ease of entry.

Lords of Waterdeep is very easy to learn but really lacks in the fun factor in my opinion. Robinson, has much more going on but also has provided my group with much more entertainment even though we have had it a fraction of the time I have owned Waterdeep.

Both games are well constructed and come with nice components. For me Robinson's hexagonal island and tiles makes for a fabulous looking game. It's one of my favorite games to look at on the table.

Some food for thought, you are going to need all the food you can get if you choose Cursed Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Robinson Crusoe. I used to love Waterdeep, but it has definitely grown stale over time. I tried to spice it up with the expansion and I think it actually makes the game worse. Ignoring the component issues, I feel like it adds a ton of cutthroat player interaction that just feels forced. There's pretty much no strategy that doesn't involve being really nasty to the other players. The winner basically comes down to whoever had the least amount of intrigue cards played against him. Bah! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Waterdeep plays best with fewer people. I don't like how few actions you have per game with 4 and 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you're on the fence about Waterdeep, look into Yedo too. Some say it what LoW should've been.

Playing LoW just left me wanting more out of the game in terms of theme. It still is fun, understandable and easy to pick up, but I just wish the theme and gameplay fused more together.

Or maybe it's just the components? It was hard to look at an orange cube and think of it as a warrior. People kept referring to the cubes by color as opposed to what they represent. "Hmmm, I need 2 more black ones and a purple one to finish this quest."

As for the quests, we didn't pay attention to the flavor text as much too. Our eyes usually gravitated straight to the gold and cube requirements.

Or maybe it's slowly dawning on me that I'm not quite into worker placement games as I try to be. I would still play it if someone brought it out on the table, but I'm glad I didn't buy it myself.

I don't have any thoughts on Robinson Crusoe. When I was trying to research it, I somehow got sidetracked into Merchants and Marauders. Totally different game, but it's now on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the ideas an insights. Right now I think I am leaning towards Robinson Crusoe - it does feel quite different from many other games, and the "experiential" aspect of it that comes through in session reports seems intriguing. Time to break out that old Tom Hanks movie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
#alwaysberunning
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Robinson Crusoe. I never played a game with more thematic immersion and depth. I'm just waiting for the german version after the Spiel in Essen next month. Lords of Waterdeep is a fine game but too easy in my opinion. It gets old pretty fast. If I had to choose between these two, I would pick RC for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want a more family oriented game that will probably see the table more often? Get Lords of Waterdeep.

You want a heavier, more thematic game that is also playable solo but will probably see less play time? Get Robinson Crusoe.

My personal recommendation is Lords of Waterdeep. This is my favorite game in my entire collection but why I recommend this over RC is not based on that. RC is one of the hardest coops out there and losing over and over might not sit well with people unfamiliar with coops. I don't own RC but a buddy does, and it really is hard to win. If you were on the fence between LoW and a somewhat lighter coop, I would have a harder time choosing between the two. However, this really seems like an easy choice if you want the game to hit the table more often with your friends/game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.