Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Fleet» Forums » General

Subject: Weather Authority & Salvage Yard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have used them, how does Fleet play with the Weather Authority and/or Salvage Yard included? Both seem like very powerful cards that could throw off the balance of the game, though I suppose the auctions could mitigate that problem by making them pricey to acquire (and I have been wrong about the relative strength of licenses in the past, so perhaps I am misjudging their value). I am especially hesitant to use the Weather Authority as it just seems so nasty.

Thoughts? Opinions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't like the weather authority so I don't use it. It adds to much chaos to what I consider a Euro style game.

However, I disagree the salvage yard is all that powerful. Remember, using the salvage yard take up your launch.

(Granted, if you have Cod you can use the salvage yard and put down a boat, at least that's how we play it. I hope that's correct).

BOb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
However, I disagree the salvage yard is all that powerful. Remember, using the salvage yard take up your launch.


That would depend on your strategy I think, as well as how quickly you can acquire it. In a game last night I think I launched four boats the whole game, which is probably less than half the rounds so a Salvage Yard would have been very useful in that case. If you're going for lots of boats it would obviously be less useful.

On a side note how does adding the Salvage Yard affect the tempo of the game? Since you are adding them to the license deck without removing others (and thus lengthening the game) does the game still feel tight?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
imarx wrote:

On a side note how does adding the Salvage Yard affect the tempo of the game? Since you are adding them to the license deck without removing others (and thus lengthening the game) does the game still feel tight?


It's a hard question to answer, since I've always played with the salvage yard licenses in the deck.

BOb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with salvage because it opens up another engine style and renders fish as something other than just victory conditions. The reason salvage yard feels OP is because you can get an early boost on auctions, but the reason it's not is because you're sacrificing end game pts to do it so you have to be careful to make using them worth it.

The game doesn't feel any longer to my mind, you're only adding, what, one round to the game? It just gives you another way to tweak your engine.

I usually just mix all the premiums together and pull the subset from there so I don't build a weather authority majority license deck. That sounds a bit annoying, with everybody jerking each other around, but if you mix them up like I do, you only get one or two in the deck and it's like a bit of pepper.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with authority a few games but we didn't like it. It's too strong, moreover it is random and makes too much confrontation.

But Casino is fun, if you would like to bring some randomness in the game.

Unfortunately I don't have the Salvage yard yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dengue wrote:
I always play with salvage because it opens up another engine style and renders fish as something other than just victory conditions. The reason salvage yard feels OP is because you can get an early boost on auctions, but the reason it's not is because you're sacrificing end game pts to do it so you have to be careful to make using them worth it.

I'm confused, how does the Salvage Yard affect fishing crates? It sounds to me like you're describing the Processing Vessel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
imarx wrote:
dengue wrote:
I always play with salvage because it opens up another engine style and renders fish as something other than just victory conditions. The reason salvage yard feels OP is because you can get an early boost on auctions, but the reason it's not is because you're sacrificing end game pts to do it so you have to be careful to make using them worth it.

I'm confused, how does the Salvage Yard affect fishing crates? It sounds to me like you're describing the Processing Vessel.


Agreed. I think he is confusing SY with Processing Vessel License.

BOb


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alden Schoeneberg
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad I got the salvage license added to my fleet game. It acts as an equalizer to the processing vessel license power. If both come up during the auction phase it forces the other players to choose which one to uses as the engine to keep cards in their hands. If you go with processing then you keep more of the cards you draw because you are spending fish crates for money (also help when you need exact change) If you go with the salvage you discarding one card and drawing either two or three. Both are powerful cards and I think you have to have one or the other in your fleet.

The weather authority hasn't played as powerful as it first seemed. Also it adds a "take that" element to the game so I don't use it with members of my gaming group who don't enjoy that style of game play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically: What is happening with the Weather Authority?
Are you sliding them under the table? "Oh yea sure. The weather will be REALLY NICE over there! [Snicker snicker.]

It doesn't really MATTER to me, but it's kind of fun to think of how it would work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:
Thematically: What is happening with the Weather Authority?
Are you sliding them under the table? "Oh yea sure. The weather will be REALLY NICE over there! [Snicker snicker.]

It doesn't really MATTER to me, but it's kind of fun to think of how it would work.

Ya pretty much. The thought was you are in a position to control the flow of information, avoiding storms and leading others astray.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bno70_1 wrote:
roufus wrote:
Thematically: What is happening with the Weather Authority?
Are you sliding them under the table? "Oh yea sure. The weather will be REALLY NICE over there! [Snicker snicker.]

It doesn't really MATTER to me, but it's kind of fun to think of how it would work.

Ya pretty much. The thought was you are in a position to control the flow of information, avoiding storms and leading others astray.


It's the 'leading others astray' part that is hilarious to me. Seems like it's attempted murder if their boat happens to sink.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:
bno70_1 wrote:
roufus wrote:
Thematically: What is happening with the Weather Authority?
Are you sliding them under the table? "Oh yea sure. The weather will be REALLY NICE over there! [Snicker snicker.]

It doesn't really MATTER to me, but it's kind of fun to think of how it would work.

Ya pretty much. The thought was you are in a position to control the flow of information, avoiding storms and leading others astray.


It's the 'leading others astray' part that is hilarious to me. Seems like it's attempted murder if their boat happens to sink.

Mini expansion opportunity. FBI investigator!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.