Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rules, FAQ and a new intro story card. I'll be in my bunk.

http://www.fireflythegame.com/home.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crawford
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and front and center on the homepage is the following announcement:

"Firefly: The Game is currently on its way to warehouses in North America, with an imminent release! Shiny! Europe to follow in November!"

Hopefully, that means my pre-order will soon ship. Then again, what does "on it's way to warehouses" mean? On it's way via a slow boat from China? Also, whose warehouses?

I'll put on my rose colored glasses and believe that a super-charged 18-Wheeler is speeding towards Florida to drop off a huge shipment of games at Coolstuff and that the FedEx truck is idling nearby...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About time it went live. They've been advertising the site for months.

Nice to see a 'free' story card and a new three page FAQ too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Key West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wolvenwood wrote:

Definitely appreciate the new story card! Looks shorter and captures the theme (again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Reissmann
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvenwood wrote:

It's funny that the video still claims September.

According to a quote from the OP in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1044305/component-issue
the release date is in the second week in October.

VShadowHeart wrote:
I thought I would share my experience with everyone on the offchance that someone else had a similar issue and this was a normal behaviour for GF9. I want to start this off by saying that I am a huge GF9 fan because I won Spartacus in a contest and it was an amazing surprise at a rough time in my life. When I heard that they were releasing firefly I couldn't wait. I paid over $120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200953797837

to get a copy from someone who went to gencon, thats how excited I was. I get the copy, still sealed in factory shrinkwrap and open it up and its short a yellow ship. Naturally I notified GF9 and here is the response I recieved back.

Quote:
Jeremy,

Firefly isn't being released until the 2nd week in Oct. Unfortunately all of my incoming copies are sold. I can send you another ship when the second wave arrives. This should be sometime after the holidays. Please feel free to email back at this time. I will keep this ticket open.

Thank you,

Andrew Smith

So I am waiting till the first of the year, that seems off to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Shirtz
United States
Rensselaer Falls
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Board designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Shiny lookin' site. The Video is top rate for a promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiny!

No Power in the Verse can Stop us Now. thumbsup

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't stop the signal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then vs than (pg. 9) shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ and new story card are under "How To Play." The story card is just what the doctor ordered, a simplified story for newbies which is listed as playable in 1-2 hours.

The hour long demo noted on the Beasts of War site is very useful to get a feel for the game, especially for those of us who don't have their copy yet.

(Edit) The long podcast now on the site from 'The D6 Generation site' is also terriffic. It really analyses game play by two very good presenters, while a third who is hasn't played and doesn't know the series/movie asks questions! Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
All this Firefly talk ...... I might pull my copy off the shelf and play later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, the new story card isn't much different than just 'have $6000 in hand', as you're likely to be solid with two contacts anyway by being the first to gain the money.

Yes, you could purposely manage to achieve $6000 without being solid with two contacts, such as by fulfilling a $3000-$4000 job without spending much money (though that's tough, its possible), or by only doing one contact's jobs...

But in practice, earning $6000 and being solid with 2 contacts is about the same difficulty as just earning $6000, so there's really not much new there.

I think it might be good to have the starter story be one where you have to do at least one illegal job just to show the misbehavin' mechanic and the value of hiring crew (as they're not needed for the low paying transport jobs, and the illegal jobs might not be needed with such a low goal if you're just using the story card they provided)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We attended a local con this weekend and ran three Firefly events using the new story card. The story card worked pretty well (card estimates 1-2 hours to play). The time element still seems tied to the number of players however. Game 1 and 2 had "5" players (1 experienced per game) and each took 3 1/2 hours (including ~ 15 minutes teaching/demo). Game 3 with 4 first-time players completed right at 3 hours (with ~ 10 minutes of teaching/demo).

Still, it was loads of fun and we're looking forward to our next venture in The Verse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear things went well and that the game was well-received. Those playtimes seem pretty good, and came in well under the "1 hour per player" estimate that seems common when I run the game with new players. Good job on spreading the love for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And let's not forget that the company claims that "this is the first in a series of Firefly board and miniatures games."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
And let's not forget that the company claims that "this is the first in a series of Firefly board and miniatures games."

Would be nice to hear more from GF9 on this. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.