Subject: O'Brien rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megenhardt
United States
Olney
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have been currently ruling that the upgrade Miles O'Brien would work against a ship that is cloak and has active shields. The logic of my argument is...

1. Using this card for reference....
Korax (Klingon/IKS GrOth Expansion)
ACTION: If your ship is not cloaked, disable all your remaining Shields and target a ship at Range 1-2 that is not Cloaked and has no Active Shields. Discard Korax and any 2 (Crew) Upgrades of your choice on the target ship.
Cost: 3

2. O'Brien's card makes no mention of shields, there for since that limitation is not present, his effect can work on a shielded ship.

Now my problem....
1. Again O'Brien's card says nothing about shields, but does say it works on cloaked ships.

2. The upcoming Virak'Kara card says his effect '...(even if that ship is cloaked or has active shields)..' Now using the logic of my current ruling, since O'Brien's card says nothing specific about shields, but Kara does, O'Brien's effect cannot work on shielded ships.

Which way should I be ruling this? Is this an over sight on O'Brien's card in which it should read something along the lines of O'Brien's effect will work against cloaked ships, but no shielded ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
I read it as being able to use his ability on ships that are cloaked and/or shielded.

I assume this card is somewhat based on his talents shown in 'The Wounded', where he is suddenly able to transport through shields.

Unlike the Klingons with similar abilities, I assume he's at a console using a 'directed tachyon burst' or the like instead of beaming over to stab a crew member, or smash a console.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:

Unlike the Klingons with similar abilities, I assume he's at a console using a 'directed tachyon burst' or the like instead of beaming over to stab a crew member, or smash a console.

Apparently the effort took so much out of him he had to go take nap (gets discarded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megenhardt
United States
Olney
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ghostrunner wrote:
I read it as being able to use his ability on ships that are cloaked and/or shielded.

I assume this card is somewhat based on his talents shown in 'The Wounded', where he is suddenly able to transport through shields.

I agree with you. My problem is with the up coming Virak'Kara upgrade that specifically says 'inactive shields'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Tacullu64 wrote:
Ghostrunner wrote:

Apparently the effort took so much out of him he had to go take nap (gets discarded).

He's Irish... maybe he had to hit the pub?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:
Tacullu64 wrote:
Ghostrunner wrote:

He's Irish... maybe he had to hit the pub?

Hell yeah! A man deserves a pint or three after kicking some Dominion ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C LG
msg tools
mb
This makes sense since all he does is disable the upgrade, costs 2 pts and you have to discard him. He has drawbacks that account for his ability to do this to any ship, shielded or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
Ghostrunner wrote:

Or, more specifically, he's now on the enemy ship (presumably singing 'The Minstrel Boy' with its captain), so can't really be used by your ship, again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.