United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow, I could watch that GIF all day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be soooo embarrassing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
[article=13454067]I thought you quit.[/article]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Chiefs' fan to a Vikings' fan . . . enjoy Cassel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bjlillo wrote:
I'm still in denial about the game last week. Pretty sure that didn't actually happen.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/09/22/spor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't see a guy who was the starting quarterback for a 2-14 team last year is the answer for all that is wrong for the Vikings this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I just can't see a guy who was the starting quarterback for a 2-14 team last year is the answer for all that is wrong for the Vikings this year.

Let's face it, they don't have a quarterback who is the answer on their roster. But there's nothing wrong with giving someone else a shot as long as the season seems to be spiraling out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The saying goes the quarterback gets to much of the credit when they win and to much of the blame when they lose. Look at Mark Sanchez the first few years. He takes the team to the AFC championship game two years in a row. He was "The Sanchise". Mind you he had a good offensive line and good receivers. Now several years later the offensive line is a wreck and the receivers are among the worst in the league. Suddenly he's the reason for all the Jets problems.

The same is true for the Vikings. Last season the Vikings won their last 4 going into the playoffs and Ponder had the second highest QB rating in the league during those four games. All hail Ponder! This season the defense is giving up a horrendous 430 yards per game, the offensive line is averaging 3.3 yards per run (when you take away Peterson's 78 yard run on the first play of the season) and giving up sacks by the handful. Even special teams are playing horrible. Other teams are averaging 41 yards on kickoff returns.

So no, I don't think Ponder is anything to shout about but the problem with the Vikings is not Ponder or at least not just him. The problem is things like offensive line and defense that were strengths last year that are suddenly horrible this year. One has to wonder about Leslie Frasier's position as head coach. Remember the team did not give him an extension at the end of last season which everyone expected including Frasier but instead simply picked up the final option year on his contract. Not something you see teams do with coaches they have long term plans for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Leezer wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
I'm still in denial about the game last week. Pretty sure that didn't actually happen.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/09/22/spor...

Lies!! I suppose next you're going to tell me these actually happened too:

What are you trying to do to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you have a firm grasp of the English language as it is scientifically proven that it is impossible to use the words "Vikings, Fans, Rejoice" in the same sentence unless you are doing it in the exact manner I am now. Or, if the Packers lose to anyone as that is usually the highlight of a Vikings fan's season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Well except that would be somewhat short-sighted, imho. Consider what the Chiefs had put around the guy while he was them - not much. They were a crappy team on offense other than Dwayne Bowe. When they had a better line and a better team, Cassell did quite well.

I have high expectations for him. I'm calling it now - he gets several TDs and some serious yards for us and we win a blowout.

ninja devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
The saying goes the quarterback gets to much of the credit when they win and to much of the blame when they lose. Look at Mark Sanchez the first few years. He takes the team to the AFC championship game two years in a row. He was "The Sanchise". Mind you he had a good offensive line and good receivers. Now several years later the offensive line is a wreck and the receivers are among the worst in the league. Suddenly he's the reason for all the Jets problems.

The same is true for the Vikings. Last season the Vikings won their last 4 going into the playoffs and Ponder had the second highest QB rating in the league during those four games. All hail Ponder! This season the defense is giving up a horrendous 430 yards per game, the offensive line is averaging 3.3 yards per run (when you take away Peterson's 78 yard run on the first play of the season) and giving up sacks by the handful. Even special teams are playing horrible. Other teams are averaging 41 yards on kickoff returns.

So no, I don't think Ponder is anything to shout about but the problem with the Vikings is not Ponder or at least not just him. The problem is things like offensive line and defense that were strengths last year that are suddenly horrible this year. One has to wonder about Leslie Frasier's position as head coach. Remember the team did not give him an extension at the end of last season which everyone expected including Frasier but instead simply picked up the final option year on his contract. Not something you see teams do with coaches they have long term plans for.

This is a really good perspective on it, imho. That being said, I'd still want a better QB than Ponder, in general. He's just not accurate or good enough still. It's been long enough. We don't need another T-Suck 2.0, do we? LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponder is actually very accurate. What is the problem is when he goes 15+ yards down the field. His balls tend to take very high trajectories meaning the DB has more time to react. There is no point in having a WR beat the cornerback if he then has to wait for the ball to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Ponder is actually very accurate. What is the problem is when he goes 15+ yards down the field. His balls tend to take very high trajectories meaning the DB has more time to react. There is no point in having a WR beat the cornerback if he then has to wait for the ball to arrive.

I agree and can rephrase what you wrote for people that may not suffer through Vikings games: Ponder is very accurate except in situations where he throws the ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
I don't think you have a firm grasp of the English language as it is scientifically proven that it is impossible to use the words "Vikings, Fans, Rejoice" in the same sentence unless you are doing it in the exact manner I am now. Or, if the Packers lose to anyone as that is usually the highlight of a Vikings fan's season.

As a Bears fan, I actually have to agree with this comment.

Perhaps another thing the Vikings fans can rejoice is that they're not the Lions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vikings just beat an 0-3 team at home.
Lets wait to see how they fare against reasonable competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
frumpish wrote:
The Vikings just beat an 0-3 team at home a neutral site.
Lets wait to see how they fare against reasonable competition.

Fixed that for you. But I agree with your overall point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is I bet most Vikings fans are now foaming at the mouth to take Cassel out and put in Freeman.

As if changing players at one position could turn the Vikings season around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that - anyone who has really been watching this season knows that our defensive play has been pretty awful (though we have gotten some decent takeaways, at least).

Cassel didn't do horrifically but he wasn't very good either.

I think the real issue is (at this point, with us at 1 and 4), we need to get Freeman in there and see what type of help he can be. It's not about winning enough games to be in the playoffs or something because it's obvious that's not going to happen this year. And that's not the end of the world, you can't always have great seasons every year (unless you're, perhaps, the effing New England Patriots).

I have far bigger problems right now in my life (no job, no money, 3 kids, pregnant wife, LOL) so I guess I'm not worried all that much that a bunch of millionaires lost another game. Big whup.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
They're ready to see you now, Mr. Freeman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.