Rob Notmyreallastnameberg
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules of the diplomacy game state, fairly clearly, that a crisis begins when there are Middle Eastern factions committed to both the USSR and the USA. However, Syria, Jordan, and Israel each require the play of a special intervention card in order be considered fully committed to their side. In my mind at least, that creates a certain ambiguity.

So if, for example, Israel is committed to the US and Syria is committed to the USSR, but the Syrian and Israeli intervention cards remain unplayed does that constitute the start of a crisis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rooke
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how my friends and I have always played it:

If there is at least one faction/country marker committed to the US and at least one faction/country committed to the Pact then there is a Middle Eastern Crisis. This does usually happen quickly as Israel and Syria are likely to be committed quickly.
In order to actually use the Israeli, Syrian and Jordanian counters however the relevant Intervention cards must be played.
So yes there is a crisis if the Intervention cards are still unplayed but there is at least one committed to each side.

In other words we follow the wording in the rules. I agree with you that to be committed to a side but not able to intervene seems a little strange.
Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

All you need to have a crisis is for each side to have at least one faction committed to both of them..intervention occurs later at the playing of the appropriate card

Say for example the Syrians have committed to the Warsaw Pact and the Israelis have committed to NATO..there is considered to be a crisis (thus enabling the Soviets to play the 'Mobilise Southern Military Districts' and NATO 'Alert the RDF') even though both the Syrians and the Israelis require the playing of other cards to actually intervene that is phsically commit units to the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.