Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The general question: Is there a difference between card effects that discuss "researching" a tech versus "learning" a tech? It appears to me that learning a tech is a general term that refers to acquiring a new technology, and researching is a specific way to learn a tech during the Research phase of the turn. (See base rules page 21: you need a certain amount of trade to research a tech, but you need a spot on your pyramid to learn a tech, regardless of how you're acquiring it)

Specific number one: Rationalism lets you spend trade during Start Turn to learn a tech. Do the abilities of Greece, Japan, and Porcelain Tower, which all affect spending trade to research a tech, apply to this? (In our game it only came up with Greece, but I think the other two also use the word "research.")

Specific number two: The base rules are inconsistent about their wording, particularly about getting Space Flight for a tech victory. Every reference to the tech victory refers to researching space flight (eg. page 22: "A tech victory is achieved upon researching the Space Flight tech, which is the only level 5 tech in the game.") except page 21. ("The highest level tech is Space Flight, at level V. If a player learns this tech, they immediately win the game with a tech victory.") So can you win the game by acquiring Space Flight via Atlantis, Education, or Public Education, which all let you learn a tech of any level?

(For good measure, the strategy advice on page 22 also says "A player wishing to win with a tech victory should concentrate on adding trade icons to their cities and finding ways to research more than once a turn." But we already knew Fantasy Flight isn't great about consistency with their terms.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
GregF wrote:
The general question: Is there a difference between card effects that discuss "researching" a tech versus "learning" a tech? It appears to me that learning a tech is a general term that refers to acquiring a new technology, and researching is a specific way to learn a tech during the Research phase of the turn. (See base rules page 21: you need a certain amount of trade to research a tech, but you need a spot on your pyramid to learn a tech, regardless of how you're acquiring it)

Specific number one: Rationalism lets you spend trade during Start Turn to learn a tech. Do the abilities of Greece, Japan, and Porcelain Tower, which all affect spending trade to research a tech, apply to this? (In our game it only came up with Greece, but I think the other two also use the word "research.")

Specific number two: The base rules are inconsistent about their wording, particularly about getting Space Flight for a tech victory. Every reference to the tech victory refers to researching space flight (eg. page 22: "A tech victory is achieved upon researching the Space Flight tech, which is the only level 5 tech in the game.") except page 21. ("The highest level tech is Space Flight, at level V. If a player learns this tech, they immediately win the game with a tech victory.") So can you win the game by acquiring Space Flight via Atlantis, Education, or Public Education, which all let you learn a tech of any level?

(For good measure, the strategy advice on page 22 also says "A player wishing to win with a tech victory should concentrate on adding trade icons to their cities and finding ways to research more than once a turn." But we already knew Fantasy Flight isn't great about consistency with their terms.)

It was faqed there is a difference between research and learn.

-> No bonus if you learn a tech with Archimedes, with Porcelain Tower, with Rationalism, with Investment, and with Japanese, and with wathever that only affect Research.
Greek get bonus for researching and learning as stated in the advanced variant.

About Space Flight, I don't think you have to research it to get it, you can get it with Education, Investment, Atlantis, etc.
The base rulesbook talks about researching because in the base game there is no way to get Space Flight without researching it.
Then come F&F, with Atlantis, Investment, etc. -> You can get space flight with all this things.
Personaly that's how I play it and will always play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaƫl Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what about the germans ? Do they get resources/units if they learn say MetalCasting from a Think Tank ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.