Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing? I suggest you fill up the space with a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
To give a slightly more serious answer...

Space: games are big and bulky.

Lack of love: if you have a ton of games then even the ones that are really good that you really enjoy tend to not get played enough.

For those who know me that second comment might seem a little hypocritical but I'm well aware of the fact that I have a bunch of unplayed games. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Space

2: People only want to play Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
A third vote for space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
Space: games are big and bulky.

Two years ago, we converted our garage into a new room so we could fit more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgetting the rules. We have a couple games (Eclipse, Dominant Species, CO2 are the main culprits) that we like, but haven't been played enough to have the rules deeply ingrained in our heads. So we end up reviewing the rules before each game, adding 15-30 minutes to already long games.

I will second a lack of love as well. I went on a board game buying/trading spree earlier this year. Because of this, there were a lot of games played once and then shelved while we tried to play all of the new games. There were a couple games that didn't get played at all and others that have only been played once. None of the games were getting the time they needed to really experience them. My friend actually put a mandate that he would not learn another game until all of the games I had bought had been played a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Paul here. A few years ago we converted a spare bedroom into what we now call our Computer Room. Shelving magically appeared and my 1200 or so games now have a place to live. Space may have been a problem but not any more!!! Well maybe still a slight problem. 1200 is a lot of games to store but you know, it can be done and I love to some times just look at them!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure if I buy/own a game, I should be the one to learn how to play it and be able to teach it to others. I don't own too many games compared to some on this site, but I can't remember how to play them all. Confusion/slow games/incorrect play really detracts from the fun for me, so I'm thinking Im better off keeping 30 or so games and then cycling out games when I buy new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're married and your wife is not a gamer then you have to face her fury every time a new game is bought because you're wasting too much money and taking too much space and you still have a whole bunch of games who have seldom or even never seen the the light of day, etc, etc, etc... (just take a look at my microbadges and you'll see I consider that a real problem)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm great with the rules part. I buy all the games, I read all the rules, and I teach the games, as no one else reads the rules...ever.

So I'm pretty well-versed in them, and able to keep them separate pretty well. In fact, a lot of times at night, instead of reading a book, I read the rules to a game I haven't played in a while. Yes, true geek there.

But the space is definitely an issue. I've got games piled up in the bedroom, sitting around on anything with a flat surface, and just waiting to be played. I really need a good shelf system, but we're renting a room in a house, so no space for it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the worst thing that can happen is that you never play (or even open) a game and it doesn't bother you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Hoffman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it isn't that we are running out of space, it is that we don't give all the games the love they deserve. Too many times I've had conversations that go like this: "Hey, let's play Twilight Struggle."
-"oh nah man, let's play Dominion."
-"What? Come on, we've played Dominion over 600 times, we've only played Twilight three times so far."
-"nah man, you always win that game."
-"Seriously? We've only played it three times and so now, 'I always win?'" (Sigh) "Ok, how about we play some Brass."
-"Um, I don't remember the rules."
-"Great, that's why we should play it again, so that we can review the rules! And kind of dust the game off you know?"
-"Naw, I'd rather play something I know. How about Thunderstone?"
-"Dude, we've played that one to death, let's play something else."
-"But I like that game."
Face palm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
For those who know me that second comment might seem a little hypocritical but I'm well aware of the fact that I have a bunch of unplayed games. laugh

Typical conversation at game night:

Me: "Hey Dave, do you have a copy of [GAME X]?"
Dave: "Why yes, I own a copy of [GAME X]."
Me: "Have you ever actually played [GAME X]?"
Dave: "No I have not."
(Scattered laughter)
Me: "Hey Dave, do you have a copy of [GAME Y]?"
Dave: "Why yes, I own a copy of [GAME Y]."
Me: "Have you ever actually played [GAME Y]?"
Dave: "No I have not."
(more laughter)

This repeats until we find a game Dave has failed to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space is the big issue, but it does have its advantages. Through searching for more space, I have discovered a lot of items that I really don't need anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest problem in this regard is that more choices=less replay value.
So many games I own don't get played enough, and too many on my shelves still have yet to be played.

On the other hand, more choices=more choices, and it's always nice to have basically a small game library at my fingertips. I don't think I'd prefer it any other way. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough time to play with them all.

Sometimes when you have too many choices, you don't want to pick anything.

Harder to get people to agree on something when the choices are too many.

The money spent on games that don't get played could have been better spent on something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that if I haven't played a new game within a month or so of buying it, it gets over-shadowed by newer games arriving and gets forgotten about. I have way too many games that missed the 'honeymoon period' and now just take up space on the shelves... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time and space. Seems like I don't have enough of either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Please allow me to take you more seriously than intended.

The issue with buying an excessive quality of games is I think one of two issues, usually both, but not always in equal measure.

1) what void are you trying to fill in your life with the purchasing of games?
2) what are you trying to avoid in your life by purchasing these games?

At some relatively low number (whose exact value is boring to discuss) buying games clearly becomes something other than "creating a fun opportunity for friends and family" or the subsequent "ensuring variety" thereof. One of the ways I've found gaming culture terribly alienating is its unabashed acceptance and encouragement of what is actually a form of dysfunction. It is the vociferous denial of this dysfunction that concerns me - I'm all for the acceptance and communion aspects. Lord knows we need each other in this crazy, crazy world.

Cura te ipsum, you might say, should you know latin, and this is absolutely accurate. I only mention this since you asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Please allow me to take you more seriously than intended.

The issue with buying an excessive quality of games is I think one of two issues, usually both, but not always in equal measure.

At some relatively low number (whose exact value is boring to discuss) buying games clearly becomes something other than "creating a fun opportunity for friends and family" or the subsequent "ensuring variety" thereof. One of the ways I've found gaming culture terribly alienating is its unabashed acceptance and encouragement of what is actually a form of dysfunction. It is the vociferous denial of this dysfunction that concerns me - I'm all for the acceptance and communion aspects. Lord knows we need each other in this crazy, crazy world.

Cura te ipsum, you might say, should you know latin, and this is absolutely accurate. I only mention this since you asked.

That might describe some, but doesn't describe me. I buy a lot of games because I have a wide range of tastes and I game with a wide range of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Remembering all the rules (properly) when people make a suggestion for a game that you have and you haven't played it in a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably some truth to that. I buy games to be able to play them. Playing games is an easier way for me to socialize than just sitting around and trying to come up with something to talk about.

I also use games as a distraction to take my mind off the stresses I have at my jobs.

But then, I also collect games as a way of being able to have an offering when going to group gaming events, or to run at conventions, which is probably going back to the first part of my post.

The real question is, is game collecting and playing cheaper than therapy, or more expensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

What void in your life are you trying to fill by playing games at all? What void is filled by you coming onto BGG and posting messages? What are you trying to escape? Can't you be happy without these things?

You can turn anything into a pathology with those kinds of questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
1: Space

2: People only want to play Dominion

You need to find new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.