Subject: Asteroid mouvement ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daz Exodus
Canada
Ste-Catherine
Québec
flag msg tools
Does anyone have a kind of house rule for asteroid mouvement. I saw somedy suggest it and i would like to try it. If not, i'm thinking 2d6 per asteroid at the end of mouvement phase.

DIRECTION
1 : Straith
2 : 45 right
3 : 90 right
4 : 45 left
5 : 90 Left
6 : U-turn

DISTANCE
1 : 1
2 : 2
3 : 3
4 : 4 straith or u-turn only or dont move
5 : 5 straith or u-turn only or dont move
6 : Dont Move

If the movement make a asteroid hit a ship...so be it and roll your fate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Dazyx777 wrote:
Does anyone have a kind of house rule for asteroid mouvement. I saw somedy suggest it and i would like to try it. If not, i'm thinking 2d6 per asteroid at the end of mouvement phase.

DIRECTION
1 : Straith
2 : 45 right
3 : 90 right
4 : 45 left
5 : 90 Left
6 : U-turn

DISTANCE
1 : 1
2 : 2
3 : 3
4 : 4 straith or u-turn only or dont move
5 : 5 straith or u-turn only or dont move
6 : Dont Move

If the movement make a asteroid hit a ship...so be it and roll your fate.

at the start of every turn, before planning your maneuver dials, roll this dice for every asteroid individually. Shift the asteroid forward 1 in whatever direction is shown. If the asteroid would go out of map or overlap another asteroid, reverse the direction (or have the asteroid not move). If the target symbol shows up, do not move that asteroid. If the asteroid would move such that a ship would overlap it, the ship would now overlap the asteroid, but will not take any penalties (unless it flew over it during its movement afterwards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a game once with random asteroid movement and it was kinda cool at the start but all the dice rolling got to be tedious after a while and the randomness really bothered me as being completely unrealistic. I think a better system would be to have the ships take a turn of movement, then determine asteroid speed and direction once for the whole game and then move them after every turn. After all, the pilots are entering an asteroid field for the first time and are not aware of their trajectories when they start so should naturally be cautious. Bring a bunch of dice and leave them on the asteroids to show each vector. I would use a d8 or d12 for direction and a d4 or d3 for speed.

If you want to mix it up a little, then when there is an asteroid collision, reroll their trajectories (don't even try to calculate a realistic result!). When one leaves the field, having a new one appear on the other side is a fine way to handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dazyx777 wrote:
Does anyone have a kind of house rule for asteroid mouvement.

This is a topic that comes up every couple of weeks. A search of the forum will turn up several conversations about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex MacGillivray
United States
Ketchikan
Alaska
flag msg tools
TheFlatline wrote:
Variants would be a better forum for this than rules.

That aside, I think it's kind of strange/silly to have asteroids zig-zagging through space changing direction and speed at will. Even in the fantasy world of Star Wars there was some conservation of physics and momentum.

I'd like it better for the speed and direction to be determined at the start of gameplay- Asteroids drift that way. Let them overwrap Asteroids style with the other side of the map or let them roll for a new direction and speed when "hitting" the map's edge.

Also, considering that pilots (especially TIE fighter pilots) would smack into asteroids all the time, I'd have asteroid movement occur after everyone has selected their move but before any movement occurs. This isn't totally unfair: you know the direction and speed of the asteroid, so you can guesstimate where it will be.

I like it. That makes the most perfect and simplistic of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Speaking of the game asteroids what about some rules for shooting them? I use 3D asteroids of various sizes and it would be kind of fun to attack them if they were in your way. Maybe there could be 3 types of asteroid: large, medium and small that could take 3,2 or 1 hit respectively. Instead of them rolling a defense die they could perhaps automatically ignore the first hit of each attack (like an armor rating). A critical hit could be treated as 2 hits against an asteroid. Once they are destroyed a large one becomes 2 small ones and a medium becomes a small one, a small one that is destroyed is removed. When they split each player can position each small asteroid within range 1 of the original asteroid location (for a medium one the player that converted it to a small one can reposition it). Then all asteroids can drift according to some mechanism, ideally all in the same direction. Small ones could move faster than larger ones. Their damage could be kept using some tokens on their base.
If there are 3 types of asteroid used then I would also suggest that colliding with a large one causes you to roll 3 attack dice, a medium one 2 dice and a small one a single die as usual.

There could be a scenario "asteroid field" special rule, the player with initiative rolls 3D6 to generate a number between 3 and 18. These points can be spent on the asteroid field, alternating between the players. A large asteroid is worth 3 points, medium is 2 points and a small one 1 point.

Example:
An asteroid field of strength 11 is rolled. Player A selects a large one, Player B selects a medium one, A picks a small one, B picks a medium one and A picks another large one. These are placed as per the normal rules regardless of who picked what.
When an asteroid leaves the edge it can be recycled back into play from the any edge and positioned by the player who currently has the least number of ships, if tied then the side that does not have initiative gets to place them. They cannot be placed directly on any ship.

Edited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drifting asteroids are a nice idea, it would certainly be in line with the movies.

Here is how I would implement it;
I agree that their speed/direction should be determined at start and stays the same until it either collides with another asteroid (redetermine speed and direction) or leaves the map then it should enter the map as a 'new' asteroid the next turn from a random border with a newly choosen speed/direction
they should move at speeds: 0.1.2 or 3 and should move using the same principle of the huge ships ie only advance it the given distance but not by putting it at the other side of the movement template like ships do.
the big asteroids should not move, medium mostly at 1 or 2 (or 0 as an exception) and small ones at either 1,2 or 3 (or 0 as an exception)
depending the size you could damage them;
the big one has 15 hitpoints, if reduced to 0 then it splits into smaller asteroids (1 medium or 1 medium and 1 small or 2 small ones)
the mediums; 10 hitpoints (will split in 1 or 2 small ones)
the small ones 1-6 (roll 6 die at start to determine hitpoints; total every focus, evade or damage icon obtained), these asteroids are removed when reduced to 0 hitpoints.
destroyed asteroids reappear after 2 turns as long as there are less than 6 asteroids on the board (so none appear after a big one becomes a medium/small one)
when a ship collides with a small asteroid (ie when the damage roll caused damage to the ship), its speed/direction needs to be determined again

asteroids should move at the end of the activation phase, start with the fastest ones.
if they move onto a ships base or other asteroids, they inflict damage to it;
small: 2 damage to ships (1 to asteroids)
medium: 4 damage to ships (2 to asteroids)
onkly collisions with asteroids will cause a new speed/direction to be determined

they have no defense, damage icons inflict 1 damage
critical hits inflict 1 damage but have no special effect except the direct hit card which counts as 2 damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
I'd try and use the X-wing dice if you could...

Red = Direction
Hit = Forward
Critical hit = backward
Focus = left
Blank = right

Green = Speed...
Blank = no movement
Evade = 1
focus = 2

There are a few other ways to do it - this just uses straight templates. and it also keeps them slower, because asteroids at speed 3 go pretttty far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a result of the original conversation, these are the rules I came up with for an asteroids type game. The rationale for the asteroids rolling evade dice is not so much that they actually evade, but it represents the difficulty in hitting it with a shot that causes the asteroid to break up... the small fast asteroids being harder to hit than the large slow asteroids. If you want finer grained direction vectors, then use a d12 instead of a d8.

Quote:

Star Wars X-Wing Asteroids!

Ships start at the center of the table facing away from each other.

Asteroids are placed around the table at least 3 range away from any ship. Large and medium asteroids are represented by the asteroid tokens that come with the core set. Small asteroids can be represented by any of the small tokens that come with the game, such as the satellite tokens, tracking tokens, critical damage tokens or shield tokens. Alternatively, for the small asteroids the d8 die could be used to represent the asteroid by itself.

You need a d8 and a d6 (or a d4) for each medium and large asteroid. The small asteroids need only a d8.

After all asteroids and ships are placed, roll a d8 for each asteroid and place it on the asteroid. This is the move direction for that asteroid.

Also place a d6 (or d4) on each large and medium asteroid and set it to its maximum hull points.

These are the stats for each of the 3 sizes of asteroids:

Size Hull Agility Speed
Large 4 2 1
Medium 2 3 2
Small 1 4 4

Asteroids move between each normal turn of play. The speed indicates which straight movement template should be used to move the asteroid. There are no "bumps" on the asteroids as there are with ship bases, but reasonable care should be taken to make sure that the asteroid maintains its original orientation when moving.

Ships may not fire at each other, but may shoot at asteroids in order to break them up. Critical hits will require a draw from the damage deck, but most will only count as 1 point of hull damage, unless the "Direct Hit" card is drawn which counts as 2 points of damage. Use the d6 (or d4) on each asteroid to keep track of asteroid damage.

When an asteroid reaches 0 hull points it breaks up into 2 asteroids of the next smaller size, with the small asteroid simply being removed from play. A d8 is immediately rolled for each new asteroid and the asteroid token is placed 1 movement template away from the original asteroid in the direction rolled. That die is then placed on the asteroid to indicate its future movement direction. The original asteroid is then removed from the board. The precise placement and orientation of each new asteroid is up to the player who broke up the asteroid, but some part of the asteroid must intersect with an imaginary line drawn along each edge of the movement template. Also, if it's possible to overlap a ship base with some orientation of the asteroid they must do so, (even their own!).

When asteroids are moved, if the template overlaps the base of a ship or the end position of the asteroid overlaps a base, a collision occurs. Asteroids colliding with a ship roll attack dice equal to speed +1. The ship defends with agility dice. Any damage dealt by a Large asteroid is treated as a critical hit.

If a ship overlaps an asteroid or a ship movement template overlaps an asteroid then normal damage rules for X-wing apply.

If any part of an asteroid moves off the edge of a map, have it reenter the map on the opposite edge in the same direction. Rather than trying to determine how much movement if any was left, simply place it on the edge of the map. It will then move normally during the next asteroid movement.

A player scores 1 point for each broken asteroid. When each small asteroid is destroyed, score 1 additional bonus point. The winner is the surviving player with the most points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.