Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I thought yesterday was Wednesday all day, so sorry this is a day late everyone!!!

I want to take a moment to thank DarthEd for the fun challenge last week. It was a blast, and I noticed a lot of great interactions and comments by everyone who posted on the forum thread, so thanks for the awesome work Ed!!!

This week I am responding to the poll, but I'm glad it was Stryfe because I have a story arc that I wanted to throw together with him, and also because I really like using X-Force characters. Just to point out, the story arc with Stryfe and Professor X is canon, the Helicarrier and SHIELD part is not, in case some of you die-hards were wondering. goo

Here we go!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The mutants of the world are in Chaos. Stryfe, disguised as Cable, infiltrated the X-Men and attempted to assassinate Professor X. He failed, but the resulting distrust between the two forces of Mutants has proven slightly troubling for the good guys.

SHIELD, which has been monitoring Stryfe's activity because of their concerns with X-Force's tactics, has become the new target of Stryfe's attention, and now Nick Fury is trying to get the X-Men and X-Force to work together to help him protect the Heli-Carrier!

To check out how to post below, either follow someone else's lead, or check out previous challenges HERE!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

The following rules are in effect for this challenge:

1. You cannot play any X-Force heroes on the same turn you played any X-Men heroes, and vice versa, unless you also play at least 1 Nick Fury card as well. This means you can play as many X-Men heroes as you'd like, or as many X-Force Heroes as you'd like, but unless you also play a Nick Fury card, you cannot play both.

2. **Special: Wolvie can be played as either X-Force or X-Men, but not both, during a turn.**

1-Player
Scheme: Detonate the Helicarrier.
Mastermind: Stryfe.
Henchmen: Phalanx.
Villain(s): Brotherhood.
Heroes: Cable, Professor X, Nick Fury, Bishop, Forge, Wolverine (X-Men)**
Special Rules: Advanced Solo Mode; Special Challenge rules above.

2-Player
Scheme: Detonate the Helicarrier.
Mastermind: Stryfe.
Henchmen: Phalanx.
Villain(s): Brotherhood and MLF.
Heroes: Cable, Professor X, Nick Fury, Bishop, Forge, Wolverine (X-Men)**
Special Rules: Special Challenge rules above.

3-5 Player setups list what to add to the 2-Player setup:

3-Player
Add Villain: Skrulls.

4-Player
Add Villain: Skrulls.
Add Henchman: Savage Land Mutates.

5-Player
Add Villain: Skrulls, Spider-Foes.
Add Henchman: Savage Land Mutates.

Poll
Would you be interested in fighting a custom Mastermind or Scheme from among those listed in the Variant section here? I'll exclude villains and such for now because of the extra work required to use them.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Variant Masterminds only
10.0% 1
Variant Schemes only
30.0% 3
Variants for Both!
0.0% 0
BRING THE VARIANTS ON!!!!!!!!
60.0% 6
Voters 10
This poll is now closed.   10 answers
Poll created by Jacovis
Closes: Wed Oct 2, 2013 6:00 am

Enjoy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1-Player Games

HowlingKommando
Game 1: Evil won.

broggi
Game 2: Good won! - 36 Points.

dlikos
Game 1: Evil won. Used Colossus instead of Cable. sauron
Game 2: Evil won. Used Colossus instead of Cable. arrrh
Game 3: Good won! - 28 Points. Used Colossus instead of Cable.
Game 4: Evil won.
Game 5: Good won! - 19 Points.

Flashly
Game 2: Good won! - 19 Points.

Mixo
Game 1: Good won! - 30 Points.

BlueDagger
Game 1: Good won! - 28 Points.

DarthEd
Game 1: Good won! - 31 Points.

Diskhotep
Game 1: Evil Wins!
Game 2: Evil Wins!
Game 3: Evil Wins!

Biff Justice
Game 2: Good won! - 23 Points.

2-Player Games

HowlingKommando
Game 1: Draw ( )
Game 2: Evil won.
Game 3: Good won! Player 1 - 43; Player 2 - 29.

j-train1
Game 1: Good won! Player 1 - 17; Player 2 - 25.

much0gust0

Coyote13
Game 1: Good won! Player 1 - 36; Player 2 - 34.

Bartjes

D Bo

3-Player Games

much0gust0

Bakkster
Game 1: Good won! (Super Wolvie combo!)

4-Player Games

Bakkster
Game 2: Good won!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally allowed to be wrong because I'm not at home to check...but doesn't the helicarrier scheme require 6 Heroes? Is it possible without?

Thanks for always doing these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
much0gust0 wrote:
I'm totally allowed to be wrong because I'm not at home to check...but doesn't the helicarrier scheme require 6 Heroes? Is it possible without?

Thanks for always doing these!

Yep you are correct. I knew I was confused when my wolverine only went into the five players slot when I posted this. I had been sitting on this for a couple of days before posting. I fail. Thanks AJ!

Edit: I just want to point out that this is a community effort. I pull a lot from your feedback and try to plan to incorporate it in coming weeks, so I want to thank everyone, as always, for posting and playing. In spite of that, I apologize for my many, many posting errors. Teh interwebz and I don't always get along, so I hand write things and then type them in, which means 99% of my errors are input errors. I know I know... Get with the program Jacovis!! zombie

Cheers and thanks guys!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HK Speed
msg tools
Terrific challenge this week! We had a lot of fun discovering the tons of added strategy due to the special rule.

Game 1 (2P): Disqualified
We won, but only to realize that we forgot to put in the Master Strikes in the villain deck!! whistle

Game 2 (2P): Evil Wins
We really should've won this one, but we both ended up stacking X-Force cards and nobody wanted to buy X-Men resulting in too many Maria Hills in our decks. The last scheme twist was actually the last card in the villain deck too, so we had no excuse losing this one.

Game 3 (1P): Evil Wins
This one was about as close as possible, but sadly I lost. There was only one last card in the villain deck (Scheme Twist) and I had twelve damage, just one shy of killing Stryfe.

Game 4 (2P): Good Wins!
Player 1: 43 points
Player 2: 29 points
We really focused on cooperating this game and split purchased to maximize X-Force and X-Men in separate hands. Cable and Forge are just beastly against Stryfe. Probably the sweetest turn was using BFG + Damage to kill a near-maxed Stryfe twice in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo
Game 1 - lost
Game 2 - won, 36 points
The first game, I went mostly X-men, but I had trouble getting enough fight.
The second game, I was planning on trying X-force, but only x-men showed up in the HQ. The only X-force I ended up with was the rare. I got lucky on the card draw because three of the scheme twists and one master strike were on the bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I set up this challange and with the varients added we figured it would have been harder.

SO here is the dirty details:
Player 1(me)I focused on Prof X,Bishop and Wolvee some nick fury(battlefield promotion)
Player 2(wife)Focused on Cable and Forge

Final score:
player 1:17
Player 2:25

Details:
3 Spots on HQ were at 5 bomb markers
5 scheme twists drawn
2 Masterstrikes drawn

4 Villains escaped
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This challenge is really killing me!

All these plays were solo:
Play 1:Results deleted. Evil won (-5 points)
Play 2:Results deleted. Evil won (-1 point)
Play 3:Results deleted. Evil won (1 point)
Play 4:Results deleted. Evil won (9 points)

Deleted my results, I didn't play the scheme correctly. Will try again later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be sure, the way the scheme twists works, is to use heroes as explosion counters in the left most HQ box. Upon drawing my 2nd Twist, I put 2 more counters in the Left most box. Thus the first HQ gets destroyed on Twist 3...And Twist 4 nearly destroys the 2nd HQ Box...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Game One: Evil Wins
Solo Game Two: Evil Wins
Solo Game Three: Good Wins - 28 points.
Solo Game Four: Evil Wins
Solo Game Five: Good Wins - 19 Points

Game One: I went mostly X-Men on this one, and managed to get Stryfe twice...This scheme is much faster than I anticipated, and I will need to make adjustments.

Game Two: Only 2 hits on Stryfe again...this time I had several turns where I was just one attack short too...I have been getting a little cluttered with wounds due to using Colossus for quick attack strength and it may be costing me...

Game Three: Wolverine was the man here. I got really lucky that a nice number of Wolverine cards came up in HQ keeping my hand versatile, I also landed two of the Forge versatile cards. It was still close, the Villain deck was down to two cards, one of which HAD to be the last Twist...I also got lucky with the tactic "draw the top six and play all master strikes" as it only revealed one keeping the game slow. (I think that if it reveals 3 or so...according to Advanced Solo Rules, you must also play the top 3 cards...at least this is how I've been playing)

Game Four: I lost, but at least I managed to use the correct heroes this time. Although, despite losing, I think having Cable is easier than having Colossus...any who... I managed to get threee hits on Stryfe and pulled the fatal twist on the second to last card, upon examining that hand, I didn't have enough attack to win regardless.

Game Five: A very quick victory...I managed a first turn Battlefield Promotion (KO a SHIELD for a Maria Hill in hand), which allowed me to get good cards into my deck quickly, and cycle out the Agents. I managed to get two Strike at the Heart of Evil Cards (2 attack +2 against MM) which early enough those to cards were enough to hit Stryfe twice.

Edit(s) - Adding games as I play them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
To be sure, the way the scheme twists works, is to use heroes as explosion counters in the left most HQ box. Upon drawing my 2nd Twist, I put 2 more counters in the Left most box. Thus the first HQ gets destroyed on Twist 3...And Twist 4 nearly destroys the 2nd HQ Box...?

Correct. I didn't play it correctly and deleted my results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah! First try at it with two players and the Scheme got the best of us. It stinks, too, because Stryfe was down a lot and there were probably about 10 more cards in the villain deck to toy with. We shall prevail next time!!!

Edit: Ok, clearly NOT going to prevail next time. Played two more 3-player games and were overwhelmed early on both times. The crew wanted to go back and do earlier challenges instead, hahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HK Speed
msg tools
dlikos wrote:
Game Two: Only 2 hits on Stryfe again...this time I had several turns where I was just one attack short too...I have been getting a little cluttered with wounds due to using Colossus for quick attack strength and it may be costing me...

I think you might be playing it wrong, there's no Colossus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HowlingKommando wrote:
dlikos wrote:

I think you might be playing it wrong, there's no Colossus.

LOL Crap...I substituted Colossus for Cable for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two solo games today. This time with the right set of rules

First game: Good lost (+9 points)
Second game: Good won (+19 points)

I'm still finding this challenge really difficult. I won the second game, but my deck still wasn't very efficient. Basically I won because of a couple of cards which came up at the right moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Englehart
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 1

2-player - Good Wins! - 36-34

This is the first time my daughter and I ever won against Detonate the Helicarrier!

She went for a balanced approach, picking up Cable, Prof X, Bishop, Fury and getting BFG Forge. One turn she lamented having BFG in hand and failed to pull a Fury. She then had an epic turn defeating Stryfe, getting to pull one from the top 5, finding BFG and defeating Stryfe again.

I went X-Force, starting heavy on Cable and Forge, eventually racking up 5 Wolverines as well. The focus worked, just barely as I edged out the 36 to 34 win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games for my group this week.

Game #1 with three players was a romp. One of our guys set up a killer Wolverine deck and was dropping nearly 30 Fight points per turn. We didn't even allow a single Villain to escape the City.

Game #2 with four players was an unlucky Loss as I was sitting with the Rare Forge (who whacks Masterminds for free) and enough Fight points to hit Stryfe one more time to finish him off, but we drew two Scheme Twists in the last three cards from the Villain deck prior to my being able to take my turn and that was enough to finish off the Helicarrier.

Game #3 with four players went back to the Wolverine strategy and produced another Win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just found this thread and immediately subscribed to its announcement thread - great idea!

Solo:
Good wins on the very last turn possible - last card in the villain stack was a Scheme Twist... very tense and exciting game - thas for making it up!

51 points

30 points, I did not know about the end scoring solo rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashly wrote:
Played two solo games today. This time with the right set of rules

First game: Good lost (+9 points)
Second game: Good won (+19 points)

I'm still finding this challenge really difficult. I won the second game, but my deck still wasn't very efficient. Basically I won because of a couple of cards which came up at the right moment.

I may be doing something wrong here, but how can you get +19 (only) if the four mastermind cards alone are worth 24 points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You subtract points for scheme twists and other causes. Recheck the rules. Don't worry, I missed this at first too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
You subtract points for scheme twists and other causes. Recheck the rules. Don't worry, I missed this at first too.

Correct!

I still find the substraction of points for schemes extremely harsh, but just following the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:

Thanks, I did not know about that rule as so far I have never cared about counting the score in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I still don't understand the point of subtracting from EVERYONE'S total. It doesn't put you any closer or further from winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

I still don't understand the point of subtracting from EVERYONE'S total. It doesn't put you any closer or further from winning.

You only subtract during solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

You only subtract during solo games.

Whoops. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.