Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a game based on the novel is being released in the UK next week and apart from a one line mention on Sophisticated games website and a mention on an artists blog, I can't find any details about it.

Anyone have any more info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
I had not heard of a game based up on the ... trilogy, if I recall correctly. Be curious to see what results, because my recollection (it has been years) is that the books are long on atmosphere (or possibly atmosfear), and short on action. Not sure how that'd turn into a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
So a game based on the novel is being released in the UK next week and apart from a one line mention on Sophisticated games website and a mention on an artists blog, I can't find any details about it.

Anyone have any more info?

I came to post on this very same subject. The cover artwork looks good and Sophisticated Games have been involved with some decent games from LotR (and some dodgy ones too).

Loved the books (well the first two anyway) and am intrigued by a game on the subject - but talk about a lack of buzz/hype/promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!
Interesting.
Loved the books when I was a teenager.
I'm guessing there will be lots of backstabbing involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that IGUK have it for sale already.

Must admit that I'm intrigued ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bracegirdle of Hardbottle
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me 5 1/2 years to finish that book. I put it down a lot, as I couldn't get invested in the characters too much at first, but as things moved along my pace picked up some, though it still probably took me a year to make it through the last 2 books, and I tend to devour books. Still, I'm glad I read it. It's a very different kind of writing and characterisation. I didn't keep it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Clarke
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great trilogy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the publisher by e-mail about the availability of the game on iguk.co.uk, but no info. His response:
"Hi. We have had an early batch airfreighted in.
Info will be on our website shortly. Sorry about the delay."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Sophisticated Games; this is what they said:

“Hi. It was only published this week. Ahead of the USA. It's licensed and approved by the family.
Will have description on our own website next week.“
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like marketing a game before release.

My FLGS isn't stocking it because of lack of any information or pictures of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know with PC games it used to be the case that no advanced screen shots or a demo meant the game was likely a 'stinker'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
I saw it in one of the mail-outs I got of new stuff into a few online retailers, and when I came to bgg to check the item page, there was none. I'm not sure that has ever happened to me for a hobby game before...

As with others, I'm interested, though it was one of the very few books I put aside unread as a teenager!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules should be up soon...

Looking forward to seeing how this one works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Cooke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There is now a facebook page for Gormenghast, with a PDF of the rules to dowload.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gormenghast/596582600383597
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Clarke
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one, will give it a read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks well produced and the rules seem interesting.

I'd like to see a bit more about the Book of Ritual. An example or two would be nice.

30 sided Ritual Die!

Ritual Die d30 = (20) = 20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 438280. insearchofspace
  • d30 =
  • (20) =
  • Ritual Die
  • Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:33 pm
Phil Cooke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Example ritual and book of ritual cover are up on the facebook site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aimee Inglis-Lee
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered this from my FLGS. Very bemused (and nervous) about the lack of information out there, but boyfriend adores Gormenghast so should work nicely as part of his Christmas present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game where you get to play Steerpike?
I'm IN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
RandomLetters wrote:
I had not heard of a game based up on the ... trilogy, if I recall correctly. Be curious to see what results, because my recollection (it has been years) is that the books are long on atmosphere (or possibly atmosfear), and short on action. Not sure how that'd turn into a game?

I found the first two books both long on atmosphere and long on incident. Great stuff! If the game measures up to the books it will be absolutely terrific. I just feel somehow that it might not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the first 2 books of the trilogy.
I will be interested to see the reviews of this game.

It looks a lighter game, but I enjoyed Beowulf: The Legend (also a light family game) from this publisher, as well as the original version of Lord of the Rings and War of the Ring (Second Edition). To add to their literary fantasy games a Dune game would also be welcome, if only the license was available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isochron wrote:
There is now a facebook page for Gormenghast, with a PDF of the rules to dowload.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gormenghast/596582600383597

Publishers hosting downloads on Mediafire... shake

Make sure you're watching what you click on, or are using malware/popup blockers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United Kingdom
Burton On Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Sysop of "Big Bang Burger Bar" Forum (www.bigbangburgerbar.co.uk)
badge
Organiser of "Raiders of the Game Cupboard" (www.raidersofthegamecupboard.co.uk)
mbmbmbmbmb
picked this up from my local FLGS (Spirit Games) last night.

Punched and played a quick taster game the same night, as it was our regular gaming night there.

I was surprised at the reasonable price given the quality of the components is quite excellent, pretty thick cardboard stock, the cards feel well made and sturdy.

The artwork throughput the game is well done and suited to the overall theme. I Like the way they have integrated aspects of the book onto the cards and the Rituals book. Both of which has plenty of flavor text incorporating the game action into the story.

The game itself, whilst not complicated, was quite quick to pick up the rules but allows for strategic play and there would appear to be plenty of potential player interaction, in the form of scuppering their plans.

I have only played a short tester game with 2 players but I got enough of a feel to say that I really like the way this plays. I love the way they have integrated theme into the cards and rituals etc.

I look forward to playing this again with a full set of players and I anticipate this will be brutal but entertaining.

I had heard nothing of this game prior to it turning up on my FLGS new games list, so after a little research of the Facebook page and reading the Rulebook decided to take a chance. A chance that was well worth taking, excellent game, well designed and takes pride of place in my collection.

I ramble but I hope this helps people get more of an idea about the game.

[Edit] Spelling mistakes blush whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Cooke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
A new download is now available on Facebook linked to the sophisticated games website and not from media fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.