Subject: Cards from other games that would translate well into ANR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I know a lot of you are of MTG descent, I used to play yugioh, and I'm sure there's some of the more obscure CCG/TCG players out there too. So my question is...what unique cards and mechanics do you think would translate relatively well to ANR?

This card would make a wonderful program. IE, if you make a successful run on R&D, instead of accessing, the corp cannot draw a card for free next turn.

This would make a lovely ICE, letting you return a single operation from archives to HQ when rezzed, and maybe some annoying sub

A codegate & barrier ice with a subroutine something like "->end the run, return to the runner's hand any icebreaker used to break this card"

This would make a great operation for the corp if it was draw 5 discard 2.

This could work as a trashable asset for corps or an operation for the runners (ICE/icebreakers respectively)

I'm interested to see your ideas! Try to keep it to 5 or less per post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Yugioh, so I can't comment on your ideas. I would, however, like to see some unholy mix of Netrunner and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle's multi-player rules.

Basically, each player was preying on the player to his left and so you would attack that player while defending from the player on the right. However, certain cards/abilities either reversed the order (temporarily) or redirected other players' actions. "Oh, you want to attack me? Cute. Go after Steve instead".

I think, given an even number of players, there might be some way to meld that with A:NR.

Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
That vtm idea gives me a great idea for a 4 player variant. Will post when I get to a comp later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasMat wrote:
That vtm idea gives me a great idea for a 4 player variant. Will post when I get to a comp later

Post it in the Variants forum when you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jennings
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would probably prefer to see Yatagarasu as a Jinteki Ice, with a subroutine of 'The Runner cannot draw cards for the remainder of this turn' or something to that effect. It's thematic, and it synergises with Jinteki killstrategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norman
msg tools
The not draw cards is basically Record Reconstructor. It would be hard to ask 'do I draw a card this turn' which they solve by putting a junk card on top of the deck.

Return programs to hand is sort of like Sherlock. I think a card that ETR and returns a program would need a huge downside like self-trashing. Same with the ICE thats basically a archive memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjnorman90 wrote:
The not draw cards is basically Record Reconstructor. It would be hard to ask 'do I draw a card this turn' which they solve by putting a junk card on top of the deck.

Though cards in Archives are rarely "junk", putting cards from the field to the HQ/Grip is far more detrimental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norman
msg tools
Completely agree. I think Record Reconstructor is bad card. Just pointing out the mechanic is (almost) already in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like I stepped into a time machine and came out a decade ago, before I'd heard of good games like Netrunner.

On a serious note, some of those seem like a good translation of mechanics, but I have heard from my Yugioh-playing friends that Yata-Garasu is incredibly broken. As in, WAY more environment-warping than Account Siphon ever will be. Even though draw denial is obviously way less of an issue in Netrunner, I'm not sure that's the type of stuff we should be trying to replicate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ranapuer wrote:
It's like I stepped into a time machine and came out a decade ago, before I'd heard of good games like Netrunner.

On a serious note, some of those seem like a good translation of mechanics, but I have heard from my Yugioh-playing friends that Yata-Garasu is incredibly broken. As in, WAY more environment-warping than Account Siphon ever will be. Even though draw denial is obviously way less of an issue in Netrunner, I'm not sure that's the type of stuff we should be trying to replicate.

I think the equivalent would be a card that cuts off a few clicks for the other player.

Yata was OP. WAY OP. Like...he was the reason they made the banlist. Raigeki? HPD? Fine. Yata wrecked all that by making it possible to stop the other player cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
ranapuer wrote:

I think the equivalent would be a card that cuts off a few clicks for the other player.

Yata was OP. WAY OP. Like...he was the reason they made the banlist. Raigeki? HPD? Fine. Yata wrecked all that by making it possible to stop the other player cold.

As I was part of this scene when Yata was released let me be a good informant. In Yu-Gi-Oh you started with 8000 life points and as you can see Yata-Garasu has 200 damage, not so bad overall, it would take him 40 turns to kill you (You could attack with a creature the turn it was summoned). There arises a problem though, if you're capable of either killing any creatures in your opponents hand or they chose to keep a hand without creatures and you're able to hit them once with Yata-Garasu, you've won the game. Your opponent is incapable of drawing a further solution and you're able to constantly hit them for 200 damage every turn, so long as you found a creature that could kill them before you decked yourself.

He was the ultimate control finisher, he could come down at any point of a game that your opponent ran out of creatures in their hand and end the game at that point in time. As control was a favorite archetype of mine I ran him extensively, broken as shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Dovian wrote:
OddCrow19 wrote:
ranapuer wrote:

As I was part of this scene when Yata was released let me be a good informant. In Yu-Gi-Oh you started with 8000 life points and as you can see Yata-Garasu has 200 damage, not so bad overall, it would take him 40 turns to kill you (You could attack with a creature the turn it was summoned). There arises a problem though, if you're capable of either killing any creatures in your opponents hand or they chose to keep a hand without creatures and you're able to hit them once with Yata-Garasu, you've won the game. Your opponent is incapable of drawing a further solution and you're able to constantly hit them for 200 damage every turn, so long as you found a creature that could kill them before you decked yourself.

He was the ultimate control finisher, he could come down at any point of a game that your opponent ran out of creatures in their hand and end the game at that point in time. As control was a favorite archetype of mine I ran him extensively, broken as shit.

I remember it all so well. Back when everyone ran "cookie cutter" with Yata, Zaloog, etc.

I was running A Legendary Ocean deck

But yes, I hope we DON'T EVER get a card that can shave off clicks of the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
But yes, I hope we DON'T EVER get a card that can shave off clicks of the other player.

Well there is False Lead but you can only play it once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.