STEPHANOS KOLOVOS
Greece
CORFU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi there,
according the card "Blessing of the Gods" what type of die i roll if i want to use it by discarding it?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever the die is for the skill you are using.

When not specified - it's whatever you were already rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook wrote:
Blessing: Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks
attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location. The die or
dice added are of the type defined by the situation and the skill that
the character is using for the check[...]
It adds whatever base die you're using for the roll. The die you started with before any other things were added on top of it. If you're making a Strength check, then it's the die you use for Strength. If it's a Ranged check, then it's the die you use for Ranged.

Note that it JUST adds the die, not any modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STEPHANOS KOLOVOS
Greece
CORFU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
A quick question about that. It says to add one die but doesn't specify which die to roll.

So... say that I'm my strength is a d6 and I'm using a mace that gives me strength +1d8. Because I'm rolling a d6 and a d8, can is choose to roll the d8 instead? The card doesn't implicitly state that you have to roll a die of one of your attributes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XxaviorR wrote:
A quick question about that. It says to add one die but doesn't specify which die to roll.

So... say that I'm my strength is a d6 and I'm using a mace that gives me strength +1d8. Because I'm rolling a d6 and a d8, can is choose to roll the d8 instead? The card doesn't implicitly state that you have to roll a die of one of your attributes.

From the rulebook:

"Blessing: Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location. The die or dice added are of the type defined by the situation and the skill that the character is using for the check; the character must already have an appropriate skill to make the check."

So the card may not state you have to roll a die of one of your attributes, but the rules do.

Also the example of play supports that as well:

"Example of Play ... Because the Bandit was defeated, Ezren can now immediately attempt to close the Throne Room. To do so, he must attempt a Charisma or Diplomacy check with a difficulty of 6. ... his Charisma die is just d6 ... Victoria sees that her friend could use some help, and plays a Blessing of the Gods on Ezren’s Charisma check. ... Edward rolls 1d6 for Ezren’s Charisma die, and another 1d6 for the blessing"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
EvanMinn wrote:
The die or dice added are of the type defined by the situation and the skill that the character is using for the check

That's the wording that I was looking for.

While I agree that you need to have the skill in the first place to roll an additional die (i.e. you can't play a blessing to "get" constitution) what I was uncertain about was that the mace, for example, lets you play your strength die +1d8.

So if your strength was a d6, by your read of the rules, I'd have to roll an additional d6 instead of the d8.

By using the weapon, it allows you to modify a skill that you already have (i.e. +1d8 in this case). So, "the die or dice added are of the type defined by the situation and the skill that the character is using for the check". In this case, the dice being used for this particular check are 1d6 + 1d8. Therefore, could I not choose to add an additional d8 instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
XxaviorR wrote:
...In this case, the dice being used for this particular check are 1d6 + 1d8. Therefore, could I not choose to add an additional d8 instead?

Not quite. The die you are rolling is a d6. The d8 is a modifier added by a weapon, so the blessing is on your skill check - not your modified skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The weapon doesn't change the underlying skill's die, it just adds an extra die to the pool. The blessing adds one more of whatever die your skill has.

Note that powers which change the skill's die will change the die added by the blessing (e.g. Lini's 'bear' power will change her STR from 1d4 to 1d10 and a blessing will give her extra d10s).

For more reading, try here for starters:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q4t9?What-is-a-die#34

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.