Subject: Extra stone tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J F
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I recieved my copy of the 2nd printing today, so I opened it to take an inventory of the components. In the box, I had two sheets of tiles building tiles, plus one loose stone tile. At first I didn't think anything of it, but after I punched the game, I realized that I have 10 stone tiles, not 9 like the rules specify.

Did anyone else end up with an extra tile? is the parts inventory wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leojpf wrote:

Did anyone else end up with an extra tile? is the parts inventory wrong?

It's the rio grande edition? Maybe it's the jeweller (exchange gold against prestige points). Is that one included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I think so.

Rio Grande has decided to provide one Jeweller in each box from now (and, believe me, the cost for this operation is rather high !)

Of course i think there will be an offer for the buyers of the first edition.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we european customers of the first edition also get hold of such a tile? Maybe together with the nice new money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Maybe we'll prepare something later this year (for Essen) but the cost for producing this lonely tile is too high now (the German distributor was not interested). You can ask Hutter Trade for the new coins, they've got some coins for the German customers.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've been keeping an eye on the RGG web-site, but they haven't said anything about this, or the 2nd ed coins yet. Believe me, I'll be right on top of it as soon as I can actually find the news I need.
Karis wrote:
I think so.

Rio Grande has decided to provide one Jeweller in each box from now (and, believe me, the cost for this operation is rather high !)

Of course i think there will be an offer for the buyers of the first edition.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Osidarta wrote:
It's the rio grande edition? Maybe it's the jeweller (exchange gold against prestige points). Is that one included?

Yes, it's the Rio Grande edition. The notation says one gold cube for 5 prestige points or 2 gold cubes for 9. The tile is a picture of a desk.

That must be what it is. So do I just treat it as one of the stone buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leojpf wrote:
Osidarta wrote:

Yes, it's the Rio Grande edition. The notation says one gold cube for 5 prestige points or 2 gold cubes for 9. The tile is a picture of a desk.

That must be what it is. So do I just treat it as one of the stone buildings?

Yep, it's an additional building (and a second stone building which costs a cloth) to the pool of stone buildings and you apply exactly the same rules as a normal stone building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does this effect game balance? Seems it would make the building track a little more attractive since you are not quite as at risk for running out of buildings to build late in the game. Or perhaps the building track less useful because you can put together a good use for gold without needing to build prestige buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Or perhaps the building track less useful because you can put together a good use for gold without needing to build prestige buildings?

Exactly.

I personally think its a very stupid tile.

Without it, the conversion of gold to points is interesting. Gold is hard to get, and to convert it efficiently (better than the 1 gold = 3), you need to build residences, get access to the ability to build prestige buildings, get all the resources together, and make them.

If something is more efficient, it should be trickier.

The jeweler just allows efficient conversion in an incredibly simple way. Why even have the blue buildings in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane B
United States
Berwyn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the Rio Grande 2nd printing, and there are 10 stone tiles, yes. There are two architects, which I thought must have been the extra tile. However, nothing in the rules seems to address this desk with a set of scales and beads on a piece of string. I'm assuming this is the jeweler everyone is talking about?

Also, I only got 29 grey cubes, but the rule book says "about 30" of each, so it must be within limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
There's 2 architects in the game, that's normal.
The extra tile (only for the RGG) is the jeweller, which is only a "semi official" tile (that's why it's not mentionned in the rules, even if its effect is pretty obvious). Jay, from RGG, wanted to add it as a gift (a pretty good deal ) but, of course, you're not obligated to play it if you don't like it !

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

And I think not. It strenghtens a bit the ressource track (an additionnal way to convert gold into prestige) and weakens a bit the building track (prestige building are not the only way to convert gold).
Going there bring you at most 3PP (if you have 2 golds), not more than the gold mine. If the building comes before the gold mine and other gold producting buildings, it's weaker and stronger otherwise (then activated later). It's a very interesting building to build in a defensive way, going there to convert one by one your gold.
Of course, it twists habits and the play could be very different when it comes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Durandetta
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
telix wrote:
Also, I only got 29 grey cubes, but the rule book says "about 30" of each, so it must be within limits.

You're lucky; I got 0 Gold cubes! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
No problem,

We'll send you some new cubes quickly.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Durandetta
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Karis wrote:
No problem,

We'll send you some new cubes quickly.

I already emailed Rio Grande, and I'm sure they'll send me the Gold very soon. They have a good reputation of sending replacement parts promptly.

Thanks for the offer, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I was very pleasently surprised to get the jeweller tile in the box. I was also short a yellow worker and the guys at Rio Grande responded that they will ship me the missing part this week.

Kudos to Rio Grande for going above and beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Alexfrog wrote:
dkeisen wrote:
Or perhaps the building track less useful because you can put together a good use for gold without needing to build prestige buildings?

Exactly.

Without it, the conversion of gold to points is interesting. Gold is hard to get, and to convert it efficiently (better than the 1 gold = 3), you need to build residences, get access to the ability to build prestige buildings, get all the resources together, and make them.

If something is more efficient, it should be trickier.

The jeweler just allows efficient conversion in an incredibly simple way. Why even have the blue buildings in the game?

You are completely ignoreing the worker placement cost, the effects it will have on turn order improtance and the oppertunity cost of placeing a worker someplace more effective. I can't see this being a very popular building - especially multiplayer (the only way I play Caylus) as the VP benifit is simply too low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Spear
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to go through all of the pictures posted for Caylus 2nd edition here so I could figure out where this tile was from before I found the Essen special picture.

Also, as of Friday Cardhaus.com (local for me in Snohomish County Washington state) had Caylus 2nd edition in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Czuba
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I too received an extra stone tile from the 2nd Edition....the Architect

Should this be included when playing or..... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I received my copy of 2nd printing Caylus today (ordered in January from Thoughthammer).

I did receive the Jeweler tile. A friend of mine ordered from another online site, and he says he did not get the Jeweler.

I the exact correct count of all wooden pieces.

I have 2 Architects (correct per a prior post).

I also have 2 (wood) Farms which are slightly different -- one is Pink Pink / Blue, while the other is Blue Blue / Pink. I am guessing that this is correct?

Edit: After downloading a component list from the files section, two different wood farms is correct, and my 2nd printing is 110% complete and accurate (10% bonus for the Jeweler!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Freeman
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi friend! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to point out is that the 2nd edition Rio Grande has a notary instead of a lawyer tile. The notary does the same thing as the lawyer except is free to use. The rules refer to the lawyer tile though, and the board has the picture of a crossed out money piece on the prestige track next to the green building. Is it a typo on the board and in the rules, or is there supposed to be a lawyer tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elmer Kim
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
It's a clarification. All green buildings cost 1 coin and 1 cloth. The lawyer originally had that cost on the tile, but it was changed to be more like the carpenter and mason. I don't know if the new residences have the cost on them or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No no it's not free to use. The cost is on every residential tiles now (similar to any kind of buildings you do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormbull wrote:
Edit: After downloading a component list from the files section, two different wood farms is correct, and my 2nd printing is 110% complete and accurate

Why did you need to download a component list? Every building is shown in the back of my rulebook.

What narks me is that I only got 20 houses for each colour. In a two-player game, you really need 25 of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.