Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [WIP] Galactidice BSG-Contest Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Galactidice BSG
Designed for the 2013 Solo PnP Contest


Ok first things first this game owes a HUGE debt to Mads L Brynnum's "Dice of Arkham". So much so that I almost posted this as a variant to that game. However its not a straight re-themeing some elements have changed, albeit slightly. Not to mention you can't get much different than the gulf between Arkham & Galactica and if posted there, there are bound to be people who are fans of one and not the other so it might not ever get seen by someone who'd like to play it! So after discussing it with Mads, I decided if enough people like this I'll create its own entry (with credit going to Mads for the system)

As some of you have noticed I recently submitted a new Game Sheet for that game, as I wanted one that had all the important reference information right on the sheet. I had so much fun doing it I constructed a new scenario for it. I was sitting around bored off my ass last night and decided to start work on a new scenario for Dice Of Arkham when it occurred to me the framework would extend itself very naturally to the Battlestar Galactica Universe. Being a huge fan of both shows and the Board Game, it literally poured out of me in one sitting.

If this gets sufficiently balance checked before the end of the Contest, this will be my second "Small Game" submission per the rules and you can't get much smaller than a single sheet of paper, some counters and some dice!

If you are familiar with Dice Of Arkham, the mechanic is simple. A Yahtzee style roll with each die value netting the player various results. Instead of an Investigation Track you have a Jump Preparation track and instead of a Cultists Time Track you have a Cylon Track etc. If you have never played Dice of Arkham I'd recommend you STOP reading this and go play it right now. Its a brilliant game. In this version. each side (Humans & Cylons) has to advance their respective Event Trackers 3 times. If you do you win, if they do you lose. Rules are included and fully explain the game and mechanics. They are in PocketMod format.

Components: Game sheet (which you print) 8 tokens and 8d6 (six of one color two of another). You provide tokens and dice.
Playtime: Approx. 10-20 minutes

v0.2 Just updated the original posting's pdf to fix some errors my sleep deprived brain over looked last night and added a couple more ways to affect the Civilian fleet (both positively and negatively)

v0.3 Went through and cleaned up the rules a bit clarifying some things, re-wording others. Still fits in the Pocket Mod layout.

v0.4 Further tweaked "FLEET" mechanics. Fixed several typos in the rules as well as clarifying and adding changes to the rules since v0.3

v0.5 Increased the chances of losing a fleet point when fleeing. The game is pretty close to balanced now (at least to my eye having played it 10 times in the past 24 hours) so would REALLY love some feedback before I make this "Contest Ready".

v0.6 Got the last few Draidis misspellings

v0.7 More rules clarifications and corrections to the Game Sheet. Special thanks to Mindy G for all the AWESOME feedback! Please, everyone PICK THIS TO DEATH! I want it as refined as possible before the deadline

v0.8 For v0.7 I made some changes to Event 1A that I pretty much disliked moments after I posted it. Tweaked it better so the order is still different but more balanced from 1 being bad to 6 being good. So just a minor change to the game sheet from 0.7.

v0.8b Just fixed some minor formatting errors in the rules. When I went back through the rules I removed all the special formatting used to make the text fit in each panel as it was likely to re-flow differently with the added/removed text. I have now gone through and corrected these issues as well as removing sentence widows. Since no content was changed just the way it is organized on the "page" we have v0.8b

v0.9 Added an icon key as well as a rules clarification if you should happen to reach the end of both the Jump Preparation Track AND the Cylon track in the same turn.

v1.0 Re-named Galactidice BSG (just to help avoid any complications down the road). SO updated logo on the sheet & Rules. Fixed error on sheet explaining 3/4 of a kind. Four 6's will not repair Galactica to full it will repair it 6 points OR 1 Fleet point. Had the movement example from the rules on the brain (four 4's = 10 movement points) and wrongly applied it to repairing Galactica which would be 4x1+2=6)

Looking forward to all of your feedback!

--Lord Malachi

Current Version: 1.0

PocketMod Rules & Game Sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7pel672e3mmzam/Galactidice_BSG_v1...

Large Print Rules & Game Sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zsgxgmswlnihdm/Galactidice_BSG_v1...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Initial Playtesting
er... um... Dark Moon

(They had to change just the name of the game at FFGs request I believe.

As for your game.
Very interesting re-theme/adaption of AE. And playable solo. A definite plus. Rules look good at an initial glance. Nothing leaps out as inherintly off. Will have to assemble and give it a whirl.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public Playtesting
Yeah this is Express BSG Express
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
Yeah this is Express BSG Express


Solo Express BSG Express = Sebsge! robot
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Allrighty up to v0.5 and I think I got a good balance going here. Would love to hear if y'all agree before I make this game Contest Ready

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to improve this game
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
This is a great use of the DoA-system. I'm very impressed with how you seems to have meshed the mechanisms with an entirely new theme.

I haven't played it (yet), but I recommend getting someone to proof it before making it contest ready. I noticed, for instance, that dradis is spelled in a new way every time :-)

Good luck with it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Why are the rules in such a weird configuration on the sheet? I seriously don't know which section to read when.

ETA: Ok that must be the PocketMod thing you mentioned and I get it now, but don't see why it's necessary.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
mads b. wrote:
This is a great use of the DoA-system. I'm very impressed with how you seems to have meshed the mechanisms with an entirely new theme.

I haven't played it (yet), but I recommend getting someone to proof it before making it contest ready. I noticed, for instance, that dradis is spelled in a new way every time :-)

Good luck with it!

Yeah you got the very first version when I wasn't sure where to put it because it was such a different use of your mechanic. It was written while staving off sleep cause I was on a roll and didn't want to stop. I got most of those fixed by v0.2 and they have ALL been fixed now ;p

EDIT: Actually most of them were. Its tough when the program doesn't know if something is misspelled because its a proper noun that only exists in a singular Sci-Fi Universe heheh Just went through it AGAIN and got the last few stragglers.

oriecat wrote:
Why are the rules in such a weird configuration on the sheet? I seriously don't know which section to read when.

ETA: Ok that must be the PocketMod thing you mentioned and I get it now, but don't see why it's necessary.

Used the pocket mod so its compact and because I could get everything to fit in the 8 panes. I try to use them whenever what needs to be said will fit within those 8. I like em! But glad you figured it out! Now that the rules are out of the way, what did you think of the game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Well I got it printed (it was definitely harder to figure out the rules when reading it sideways on a screen ), started to play one and then stopped when I got the first combat, because I'm a bit sick today and didn't feel like figuring that part out yet. I might try again later.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
oriecat wrote:
Well I got it printed (it was definitely harder to figure out the rules when reading it sideways on a screen ), started to play one and then stopped when I got the first combat, because I'm a bit sick today and didn't feel like figuring that part out yet. I might try again later.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. It's not too complicated. You take the number of raiders generated by the Draidis dice, plus 1 for each red space you passed along the Jump Prep Track on this turn, plus 1 for each pair of 1's that are left on the board after your three rolls in the dice phase. This is how many dice the Cylons will roll in combat. If you encountered a base ship, you add 1 for the base ship, then divide by two, then roll 1d6 and add its value (for the extra strength a base ship provides in battle) and the result is how many dice you will roll for the Cylons.

You spend points of Galactica & Vipers to get dice for your roll. You must follow the rules though. If you are battling Raiders you want to spend Viper points (as Galactica vs. Raiders you have to spend 2 points to gain 1 die) and the inverse is true for Base Ships. Against a Base Ship, you spend 2 points of Vipers for each die.

So for instance lets say your Draidis roll was a 3 and a 6. The 6 is no contacts, but the 3 is three Raiders. That's a Base Combat Strength of 3. Lets also say you passed 1 Red Cylon square on the Jump Prep Track this turn. This would boost it to 4. And lets say in your Dice Phase, you rolled three 1's (and did not spend any loyalty to unlock them). Since there is only one PAIR of 1's, this adds another 1 to their combat strength resulting in a total Combat Strength of 5 (3+1+1) which means the Cylons will be rolling 5 dice in this combat. If you want to roll an equal number of dice you would have to spend 5 Viper points to gain 5 Dice. If you want an advantage, you could spend 6 Viper Points to get 6 Dice. Or as a final for instance, lets say you only have 4 Viper points left. You could spend those 4 to get 4 Dice, then spend an additional 2 Galactica points to get yourself up to 5 Dice.

I hope this makes it clearer
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
That totally helps, because I DID roll a 3 and a 6 for dradis, and I had 1 pair of 1's and passed 1 cylon on the track! So I got 5 also. And yeah, it was the spending point part I stopped at. Now it makes sense that you will get vipers back, since you're going to spend them so quickly. Since I had a 5 rolled in the initial phase, I should get a free viper since I couldn't fix any.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Ok, a couple things:
I think the rules and the play sheet conflict about what gets advanced when you roll 1s in Combat. One says Traitor Track, one says Cylon Track.

And in resolving combat, which is the Combat Strength, my dice or the cylon dice? For example, I got 8 raiders with a total of 28. And I only had 4 vipers left, so my vipers rolled 17 (including one 1). So what's my damage and how do I have to resolve it when I am already out of vipers?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
ok you were right about traitor track on the sheet it should be Cylon Track fixing now.

Combat Strength is Cylon. Combat Value is you. Both indicate how many dice you roll. And I think you are misunderstanding how you spend your Galactica & Viper points. Using the previous example, the Cylon forces have a Combat Strength of 5 (3+1+1 remember?). Since this is a battle against Raiders, you will want to spend Viper points to gain dice as you would have to spend 2 Galactica points to gain 1 die. Using your example, you have a total of 8 points in Vipers, lets say you want to be 1d6 up on them and roll 6d6 vs. their 5d6. You would spend 6 Viper points leaving you with 2. For your next combat you would only have 2 Viper Points available to spend unless you rolled 5's during your Dice Phase (as that gains 1 Viper per die).

As to Damage, lets say in the above 6d6 (you) vs. 5d6 (Cylon) example, the Cylons got lucky rolls and you lose. You would take their Combat Strength and divide it by two, rounding down which would be 2 damage (5/2 = 2.5 rounded down is 2). Since it was against Raiders that damage would come out of your Viper points so the net result of that battle would be your Vipers would be at Zero. You started with 8, spent 6, and then lost 2.

As a further explanation of damage, lets say the Cylon Strength was 6. If you lost you would incur 3 points of damage (6/2 = 3.0). You would lose the last 2 points of Vipers you have and then because you are down to zero, Galactica would take another 2 points of damage (the same works in reverse where if you are fighting a Base Ship and lose if the damage brings Galactica Points down to zero and there are still damage points left to apply you would lose 2 Vipers for every point of damage not accounted for). If both Vipers and Galactica are reduced to zero you lose the game.

If you encounter Raiders, and have no Viper points, you can spend two Galactica Points to gain 1 die (so to get yourself 4 dice you would have to spend 8 Galactica Points) OR you can flee. If you flee, you calculate damage as normal (Combat Strength/2) and then subtract 1. So using the same example if you were to Flee from that 5 Combat Strength Raider attack, that would be 5/2=2.5 rounded down is 2, minus 1 is 1. You then roll 1d6. If the number is even (2/4/6) that damage is taken from Galactica Points. If it is an odd number (1/3/5), it comes out of your Fleet Points.

Hope this gets ya rolling right!

P.S. I know you must be feeling frustrated but I can't thank you enough! As the one who thought up how to apply Mads wonderful mechanic to this universe I can easily forget that things may not always be as clear to people reading the rules as they are in my own mind hahaha so PLEASE keep it up! After Sunday Night Football is over gonna go through the rules again and see if I can't make some of these points clearer and thanks to you I have a wonderful road map to start from. Once I have, v0.7 will be posted (prolly tonight)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Oh this was my 2nd combat. On my first I used 5 vipers and won easily. Then I got quad 4s on my next jump roll, so 3 raiders from that plus 5 I rolled on dradis. So 8 raiders and none of my vipers got fixed, so that's why I only had 4 left. I probably should have fleed, since they had twice as many dice as me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
v0.7 is up! Here's hoping its the last revision needed but if it's not I couldn't be happier that ya all are punching holes in it xD Each one makes the game better!

EDIT: Make that v0.8. I had changed the order of possible outcomes to Event 1A in v0.7 and I pretty much disliked it moments after posting so changed it one more time to help further balance 1 being bad through 6 being good. Admiral Cain being a Cylon DEFINITELY needed to be 1 but in v0.7 I had 2 & 3 reversed. Switched in v0.8 I think this is how it should be
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Will there be a normal sized rule sheet at some point? My eyes ain't that good these days when it comes to reading the small text on PocketMod rulebooks and would appreciate the option of a larger print rulebook.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
wrrlykam wrote:
Will there be a normal sized rule sheet at some point? My eyes ain't that good these days when it comes to reading the small text on PocketMod rulebooks and would appreciate the option of a larger print rulebook.

All right... due to popular demand, there is now a "Large Print" version of the rules. Double sided, 2 column, 12 point type (vs. the 8pt of the PocketMod) and landscape oriented. The game sheet is included in the .pdf so no need to download both. Simply grab the version you are most likely to want.

Game on!

--Lord Malachi
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Hi

I read the rules yesterday and have three small suggestions for you:

1) Make the game a bit more friendly for those who do not know BSG, for example you talk about "the Galactica space" and "Cylon Raider space", but if you don't know how Galactica and Raiders look, you'll be in trouble, because they're only identified visually.

The issue extends beyond such specific things and into understanding what's going on in the game, so overall I'd suggest adding an extra half page for those who don't know BSG where you quickly explain what's going on.

2) I'd suggest putting in a bit of space between the Jump and Traitor tracks, to make it visually clear that they're two different tracks.

3) The layout of the tracks are a bit inconsistent. Most of them are straight lines of spaces placed right next to each other, while two of them have their spaces spread out.

I'd suggest choosing one way of doing it for all tracks, since I think in graphics design/layout for a game that things that works the same way should like alike, so it's inituitive to grasp what's going on.


Other than that I like how compact you've made the game without making it look crowded. I really hope I'll have the time to try it out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
First off, thank you so much for the input. Allow me address each of your suggestions and explain why I did it the way I did.

mortenmdk wrote:
1) Make the game a bit more friendly for those who do not know BSG, for example you talk about "the Galactica space" and "Cylon Raider space", but if you don't know how Galactica and Raiders look, you'll be in trouble, because they're only identified visually.

The issue extends beyond such specific things and into understanding what's going on in the game, so overall I'd suggest adding an extra half page for those who don't know BSG where you quickly explain what's going on.

I think explaining the icons is a very good idea, albeit probably unnecessary as I don't really see people who are not fans of the show playing this, but for the small percentage who will, I will add an icon key to the rules to v0.9.

A background of the story seems a bit unnecessary beyond what is explained in the rules already. An understanding of the over-arching story of BSG is not truly necessary to play the game aside from there are two sides each trying to accomplish their goals. Again the people who are gonna be most interested in playing this are people who are familiar with the show. I'd have to write a small novel to explain all the references to the show in the game to someone who isnt familiar with it, and no one wants to read that, they wanna play and have fun. Besides I'd prolly enrage fanboys all over the site who said I got something wrong or left out something and then it gets even LONGER LOL! If you spend more time reading the rules than it takes to play the game you have failed as a designer imho.

mortenmdk wrote:
2) I'd suggest putting in a bit of space between the Jump and Traitor tracks, to make it visually clear that they're two different tracks.

This is why I gave them separate colors. Plus, the fact that both have Start Spaces and either a Win or Lose space I think is enough to clearly indicate what they are and that they are in fact separate of each other. Plus they are both the same kind of trackers so the fact that they are connected on the sheet isn't a negative to my mind. Not to mention, I don't really have room to split them out because...

mortenmdk wrote:
3) The layout of the tracks are a bit inconsistent. Most of them are straight lines of spaces placed right next to each other, while two of them have their spaces spread out.

I'd suggest choosing one way of doing it for all tracks, since I think in graphics design/layout for a game that things that works the same way should like alike, so it's inituitive to grasp what's going on.

...I think what the Jump Prep & Cylon Trackers are performing very different functions than the other trackers on the game sheet. I 100% agree that things on any given game sheet that are performing the same function should be similarly represented on the page. By spacing out the "movement tracks" it's further emphasizing that that is where you move and the others are where you track stats and the events. I do understand the logic behind what you are saying and if I had more space to work with I'd probably even consider it, but bunching the movement spaces together just creates unusable space. The only useful space that could be made would be by tightening up the Cylon track so I could separate the Jump & Traitor tracks and if I do that then I also have to do it with the Jump Prep track and visually to me that is very un-appealing. Additionally, that would make it look crowded which is one of the things you said you liked about the design of the game sheet that it is compact without looking crowded

Still thank you for the feedback and I will definitely be adding an icon key in the next version of the rules.

P.S. I REALLY feel the game-play balance is finally right as well. Just played a game tonight that I won by the skin of my teeth (2 Loyalty, 1 Fleet, 1 Galactica, 0 Vipers)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Public/Initial Playtesting
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
First off, thank you so much for the input. Allow me address each of your suggestions and explain why I did it the way I did.

mortenmdk wrote:
1) Make the game a bit more friendly for those who do not know BSG, for example you talk about "the Galactica space" and "Cylon Raider space", but if you don't know how Galactica and Raiders look, you'll be in trouble, because they're only identified visually.

The issue extends beyond such specific things and into understanding what's going on in the game, so overall I'd suggest adding an extra half page for those who don't know BSG where you quickly explain what's going on.

I think explaining the icons is a very good idea, albeit probably unnecessary as I don't really see people who are not fans of the show playing this, but for the small percentage who will, I will add an icon key to the rules to v0.9.

A background of the story seems a bit unnecessary beyond what is explained in the rules already. An understanding of the over-arching story of BSG is not truly necessary to play the game aside from there are two sides each trying to accomplish their goals. Again the people who are gonna be most interested in playing this are people who are familiar with the show. I'd have to write a small novel to explain all the references to the show in the game to someone who isnt familiar with it, and no one wants to read that, they wanna play and have fun. Besides I'd prolly enrage fanboys all over the site who said I got something wrong or left out something and then it gets even LONGER LOL! If you spend more time reading the rules than it takes to play the game you have failed as a designer imho.

mortenmdk wrote:
2) I'd suggest putting in a bit of space between the Jump and Traitor tracks, to make it visually clear that they're two different tracks.

This is why I gave them separate colors. Plus, the fact that both have Start Spaces and either a Win or Lose space I think is enough to clearly indicate what they are and that they are in fact separate of each other. Plus they are both the same kind of trackers so the fact that they are connected on the sheet isn't a negative to my mind. Not to mention, I don't really have room to split them out because...

mortenmdk wrote:
3) The layout of the tracks are a bit inconsistent. Most of them are straight lines of spaces placed right next to each other, while two of them have their spaces spread out.

I'd suggest choosing one way of doing it for all tracks, since I think in graphics design/layout for a game that things that works the same way should like alike, so it's inituitive to grasp what's going on.

...I think what the Jump Prep & Cylon Trackers are performing very different functions than the other trackers on the game sheet. I 100% agree that things on any given game sheet that are performing the same function should be similarly represented on the page. By spacing out the "movement tracks" it's further emphasizing that that is where you move and the others are where you track stats and the events. I do understand the logic behind what you are saying and if I had more space to work with I'd probably even consider it, but bunching the movement spaces together just creates unusable space. The only useful space that could be made would be by tightening up the Cylon track so I could separate the Jump & Traitor tracks and if I do that then I also have to do it with the Jump Prep track and visually to me that is very un-appealing. Additionally, that would make it look crowded which is one of the things you said you liked about the design of the game sheet that it is compact without looking crowded

Still thank you for the feedback and I will definitely be adding an icon key in the next version of the rules.

P.S. I REALLY feel the game-play balance is finally right as well. Just played a game tonight that I won by the skin of my teeth (2 Loyalty, 1 Fleet, 1 Galactica, 0 Vipers)


OK, thank you for explaining your thoughts . I don't really agree and I'm not sure I see how making two tracks take up less space would make the board feel more crowded, but then again I haven't tried changing the board and see how it looks, so I might be completely off .

I also think that it would be easy to sum up the BSG background in half a page, so that the game would be understandable to outsiders. I would make this a separate page so that those of us who know the story wouldn't have to read it.

But of course it's your game, so you get to make the calls that are consistent with your vision of the game .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Battlestar Galactica: Galactidice-Contest Ready
OK! I am satisfied with the progress of the game. I hereby deem it CONTEST READY! I just created a BGG entry for it so when you update the list in the contest thread please include the link (which I won't have till it is approved)

Good luck all!

--Lord Malachi
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK apologies for the last minute name change, but thought it best to avoid future complications ;P

So we now have "Galactidice BSG"

Game on!

--Lord Malachi
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is to late for comments and changes, but I couldn't get to play your game earlier... sorry.

I have question in resolve phase - if the roll is higher then CS, you win. If it is less, you loose. But what if it is equal? I played it as lost combat too.

In driadis phase you are using d2 unnecessary. I would just say spend 2 of your fleet there.

That's it for now
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
saranac wrote:
I know it is to late for comments and changes, but I couldn't get to play your game earlier... sorry.

I have question in resolve phase - if the roll is higher then CS, you win. If it is less, you loose. But what if it is equal? I played it as lost combat too.

You win ties in this game. I thought it said that in the rules:

Rules wrote:
Resolve: Now roll dice equal to the Combat Strength of the Cylons. If this roll is less than your Combat Value, you win the combat.

It does ;P

saranac wrote:
In driadis phase you are using d2 unnecessary. I would just say spend 2 of your fleet there.

Since fleet is so hard to come by I thought a chance of only losing one would be nice ;p
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on getting the game added to the database!

I played one game of Galactidice yesterday evening. I played Dice of Arkham and enjoyed it some time ago, so the concept wasn't new to me.

I enjoyed my first game. In the beginning I was losing badly (also because I treated the black ships on the Jump track as Cylon ships by mistake). Then I got my act together, had a few very good dice rolls and managed to win.
I got the impression that the game was rather easy, but after one play I don't think this is a valid opinion. Especially since I'm usually very lucky when I play a game for the first time, and in the next ones it doesn't go as well

I have some other comments. The playboard is well thought out and helps in playing. The rules are written clearly and information can be found easily. I must give them another read though because it was quite late and I might have missed something (which would also explain why the game felt easy).

The theme is really well connected to the mechanics. I don't remember Dice of Arkham that much, because I played it a long time ago, but here I have a feeling that the game is a complete story of the fleet and it's progress in gettind to Earth. On the way civilian ships, Galactica and Vipers get destroyed, the loyalty level can move, and the Events also add variety. I only read the events which happened in my game so I can be surprised when I play again.

Summing up, an enjoyable game, which I will certainly play again (and post comments ).
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.